Man, would I like to be able to do this...

cranebump

image.png.6d14e1b3fb02ee5220ae1e2e57dfdf28.png

Wouldn't it be nice to reward stealth?

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Yeah...guerilla filmmaking, right?

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Sort of. I put N optional allies on the map and a collectible (required mission detail). Those allies will betray the player once the player gets the collectible. So, If the player doesn't stealth, they all have to deal with N bosses and an ambush. I tested it with Darmian a year ago, but I never upload the ae.

(From the last feedback, I don't think people love puzzle-based AE. I mean, an AE where the difficulty comes from the mission design rather than creating a difficult custom critter. This kind of AE is designed to negate build.)

Edited by huang3721
Wording
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm thinking you're right about puzzles. Not that I'd ever even try to design one. Not in my wheelhouse. But rewards come from bashing, so, unless there's another way to reward not bashing, stealthing's only going to be the province of solo play and zippy TF's. 

You know, since you CAN drop in an over leveled/powered bad guy (I think), stealthing, then running like hell to get out might be interesting. That jibes with your Do not get seen objective.

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, huang3721 said:

Sort of. I put N optional allies on the map and a collectible (required mission detail). Those allies will betray the player once the player gets the collectible. So, If the player doesn't stealth, they all have to deal with N bosses and an ambush. I tested it with Darmian a year ago, but I never upload the ae.

(From the last feedback, I don't think people love puzzle-based AE. I mean, an AE where the difficulty comes from the mission design rather than creating a difficult custom critter. This kind of AE is designed to negate build.)

Yeah, lots of people just don't like not being able to steamroller over stuff. 

I think you had a cool idea but the AE mechanics are too borky to get it to work without people getting annoyed.  

• Like 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Maybe something like you know your ally is mind controlled, and ONE of the things you need to click will reset them to enemy.  Go in knowing that, and with the ally at a stupidly tough level, an EB or something, might see people clicking and trying to read the script as fast as possible before backing away quickly when they see it's the one that turns their killing machine ally into their personal hell.

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

36 minutes ago, cranebump said:

unless there's another way to reward not bashing, stealthing's

This one. Bashing critters always more rewarding, making puzzle based ae (stealth, for example) less enticing.

2 minutes ago, Darmian said:

the AE mechanics are too borky

Not to mention a careless teammate can ruin the game for the whole team. An AE heavily based on puzzle will be a nightmare.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe a puzzle based around destructibles?  They have guards so the bashing still happens.  I dunno.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, cranebump said:

Wouldn't it be nice to reward stealth?

I feel we already speed run through too much content, but I know that's just, like, my opinion, man.  Seems like it would mainly be a farming technique of some kind.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I feel we already speed run through too much content, but I know that's just, like, my opinion, man.  Seems like it would mainly be a farming technique of some kind.

Stealth doesn't have to mean speed. In fact, it really shouldn't, as far as mishes go.  That said, I think you're right in terms of, were such a thing put into the scripting engine, someone somewhere would come up with a way to turn it into shit (and then defend their actions as "part of the game").

• Like 1