House of the Dragon (HBO Max)

This prequel series dropped Sunday and the first episode was very good. As good as GoT's first few seasons. The story takes place 174 years before the events of GoT (thanks for really driving that one home during the opening scroll. Your viewers are not that dumb, thank you) and depict the events surrounding the upcoming birth of King Viserys Targaryen's (Paddy Considine) second child. Practically the whole kingdom is hoping it's a boy because Prince Daemon Targaryen (Matt Smith of some weird sci-fi show fame), King Viserys brother and heir apparent, is a real dick. In anticipation of the birth Viserys calls a tournament and things get tense from there.

There was quite a bit going on in the episode to take in both story-wise and the usual GoT's flair. I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing the season unfold.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

21 minutes ago, Excraft said:

It didn't stink, which is a good thing.  I'm still hesitant about anything GoT related after the shit ending of that series.

Yeah the last two seasons were pretty bad. The series got ahead of the books and Martin didn't seem too enthused about wasting his good materials on that finale instead of the books. Combine that with the Covid stuff going on and we got what may be the most detested series ending since Quantum Leap. I just really wish he'd finish the book series. It's been 10 years since he published one.

Edited by Frostbiter

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

11 minutes ago, Krimson said:

If it's any consolation, Michael Moorcock is nearly 10 years older than GRRM and still writing. Who needs Matt Smith in faux Melnibonean armor when you can have actual Elric? 😄

I really need to get around to reading the Elric books. I've been trying to cut back on my book buying habit in recent years but those might make the short list. Ok, ok it's a long list and an expensive habit. E-books just aren't the same. I like the full sensory experience of reading.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

I found it very boring, which could be due to the high volume of period piece things i watch. I'd keep it and just pretend it was one of those were it not that I wince every time either of the leads are on-screen. I'll give it another week or two. 

I'm not forking out for Sky Atlantic (HBO's UK partners) - and TBH, I couldn't even grind past GoT Series 5 on DVD. 

If I'm encouraged by anything I've read, it's Matt Smith's interview - in that at least for this first season, it's focussing down on a tighter group of characters.

(Well, tight by GRRM standards.) 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/matt-smith-house-of-the-dragon-1235188619/

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Not a lot of GoT fans here I guess. Understandable with the later seasons being somewhat of a hot mess.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

It definitely captures that 'early GoT' feel - which is absolutely deliberate. 'Remember when the show was good? This is just like that! Please don't link this with the final seasons!' A pretty good start, considering. Now just need to see if they can keep it up and stop themselves from Stephen King-ing a second series (which I hope they can, given that D&D aren't involved with this one).

Also, Matt Smith as a vindictive, petty villain alone has my interest, Elric Expy or no. xD

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

Episode 2 was good. A lot of political maneuvering but again, this is Game of Thrones. It's in the title. It was cool to see Rhaenyra being truer to her lineage than her father. King Viserys needs to re-find his cahones a little.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG: