Thoughts on a kill most(ly) Aeon SF

KaizenSoze

4 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

The entirety of the Dr. Aeon Strike Force only takes place in Cap Au Diable, there's absolutely no zone travel involved whatsoever.

Providing feedback is fine, but it is quite silly to complain about something if you are not very familiar with it.

If you read my previous line, it sorta indicates I am also referring to the newer freak arc. Apologies if this wasn't clear. 

Anyone that as run the Aeon SF is aware it's not a zone hopper.

• Thanks 1

• Developer
4 minutes ago, BurtHutt said:

If you read my previous line, it sorta indicates I am also referring to the newer freak arc. Apologies if this wasn't clear. 

Anyone that as run the Aeon SF is aware it's not a zone hopper.

Ah! I totally misread, my apologies on that! 😨

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

4 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

All of those things mentioned are completely absent in the Dr. Aeon's SF, which is longer content by virtue of it's content richness, variety, and scope

...most of which is not viable to experience in a TF, though, since mission text is can often only be experienced by the first person to click on certain things (who in many cases, must be the team leader).  There's not much rich to the Aeon SF when I have to lag behind a team wondering what the heck is going on, and just being assured that yeah, it's somehow important.

This is a big point of why for TFs, shorter tends to be better, because team content, and story rich content, are very highly mutually exclusive, just due to the nature of the way the game handles things.  And why Aeon still needs a SSA mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Developer
17 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

because team content, and story rich content, are very highly mutually exclusive

You aren't wrong, part of the thinking was with repeat content you'll be exposed to it more, but it can certainly be difficult to fully absorb all the details while on a team.

Adding a 'story difficulty' option to TFs is something that's been on our radar, just another feature we have to iron the details out for and find time to implement.

• Like 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

33 minutes ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

Ah! I totally misread, my apologies on that! 😨

No worries. I will also add I never did understand why that arc involved so much running around. I rarely see any interest in running that arc.

I am quite sure the Live devs had a lot of run arounds incorporated in missions, TFs etc because it was a subscription based model. They needed players to play for long periods so there were a lot of unnecessary time sinks involved in earlier content. I get that. I don't understand why it is needed now when the game has a lot of content.  

10 hours ago, Cobalt Arachne said:

You aren't wrong, part of the thinking was with repeat content you'll be exposed to it more, but it can certainly be difficult to fully absorb all the details while on a team.

Adding a 'story difficulty' option to TFs is something that's been on our radar, just another feature we have to iron the details out for and find time to implement.

Story mode would be really nice.  I played the Aeon SF for the first time a few days ago, and it's extremely pretty but I had literally no idea what was happening for the entire SF.  It's just an inherent problem with the format.  I had no idea what the storyline of any of the old TF were either, until I duoed them in Homecoming and I actually had time to stop and read all the text.  And I must have played some of those over a hundred times.

I could definitely get behind the idea of turning it into two TFs, too.  Deliberately putting in a lot of content that can be optionally skipped is an interesting approach, but it means the beautiful design work gets sidelined.  We popped into the absolutely AMAZING DE cavern, completely stunning map, and most of the team just sat there at the entrance for a minute or so while someone stealthed some objectives, and then we popped out again.  The ITF is fast, but at least you get to see it all every time!

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

On 9/13/2022 at 4:13 PM, Cobalt Arachne said:

This is a fair point. However, for me, it's more about the game play and visuals vs. story. I'd rather see more time spent on unique looking enemies and maybe new maps vs. writing out dialogue and the such. I know it takes more time to do visuals.