Random mission number keys bug

matrix

So, there's this bug that I get now and then, which other people I know have also gotten, where when you enter a mission, the game thinks you're holding down shift the whole time, and the number keys make you target your allies instead of fire off powers in your primary bar. It's super obnoxious whenever it happens, as I basically need to resort to clicking on every power I wanna use. This has been a persistent occasional problem as long as I can remember. Do the devs even know this thing exists? Has anyone ever reported it? I've never seen mention of it in any patch notes, so I'm really not sure. Yet it's such a ridiculous and irritating problem that I can't imagine why nobody would have reported it by now.

42 minutes ago, matrix said:

So, there's this bug that I get now and then, which other people I know have also gotten, where when you enter a mission, the game thinks you're holding down shift the whole time, and the number keys make you target your allies instead of fire off powers in your primary bar.

I get something like this as well while using a Logitech F310 controller.

It seems to be random, but it happens more (perhaps all the time) when I have youtube open in a chrome browser.

People have said that using a browser won't cause this kind of thing, but it seems to be repeatable for me.

I haven't checked to see if the numbers button go to select team members, but I'll watch for that next time. I know that I can't activate my powers.

Sometimes my targeting gets switched all around as well.

I have to toggle out of the game to the Logitech profiler, swirl the sticks, click the buttons, and go back into the game for it to go away.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Ah, interesting. Yeah I get this. It never occurred to me it might be affecting other people too. I've found a quick alt-tab out and then back into the game window seems to fix it more often than not. My usual reaction however is one of confusion, panic and then rage as I'm hammering my power keys and nothing is happening...

15 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It seems to be random, but it happens more (perhaps all the time) when I have youtube open in a chrome browser.

People have said that using a browser won't cause this kind of thing, but it seems to be repeatable for me.

Interesting! Personally, I never have my browser open when playing CoH, and I just play on K&M, so I don't think that a browser is necessarily a prerequisite for the bug. But I suppose it could make it worse somehow, or have some bizarre interaction because of the controller. I'm no programmer, but I know full well that computers can just do weird nonsense for no discernible reason, and the spaghetti code of CoH definitely doesn't help. I know the HC devs have been slowly untangling it, but idk how far along they are in that process lol.

Maybe check your accessibility functions and see if sticky keys has activated?  It’s possible to auto activate that function in certain circumstances.
Unrelated to sticky keys, I’ve also had moments where if I alt-tab out for any reason, the alt key gets ‘stuck’.  Pressing it a time or two once back in the game usually frees it back up

5 hours ago, matrix said:

or have some bizarre interaction because of the controller.

To the computer, my controller looks like a second keyboard.

4 hours ago, Honorbridge said:

Maybe check your accessibility functions and see if sticky keys has activated?  It’s possible to auto activate that function in certain circumstances.
Unrelated to sticky keys, I’ve also had moments where if I alt-tab out for any reason, the alt key gets ‘stuck’.  Pressing it a time or two once back in the game usually frees it back up

I have wondered if key sequences sometime cause it to happen because of key send overlapping.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:59 PM, Honorbridge said:

Nah, it's definitely not sticky keys. The command for that is pressing shift five times in quick succession, and I am very much not doing that when I enter missions.

Alt+tabbing out seems like it fixes this and the case where my mouse pointer is desynced from the window so it clicks too high/too low versus where it is on the screen. That or going into windowed mode and back to fullscreen or vice versa. Just anything to refresh the game, I guess.

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting