Fire Manipulation questions

FUBARczar

What's up with /Fire? 

Someone asked me just yesterday for a /Fire build, but  despite my dozens of blasters, /Fire (& Seismic Blast's) are the only Blaster set(s) that I have never played or even made.  

So what's skippable? 

Looking at /Fire, I would skip... 

* Combustion and its long animation 

* Consume, it is not needed

That leaves burn... Is burn good or not on a blaster? Skippable?

Combustion and Consume are indeed skippable.

Burn is weird.  Some people seem to really like it, but I don't find myself using it that much.  Burn wants really to be your first power you use when you jump into melee, that honor should normally go the incredible Fire Sword Circle.  By the time you've used FSC (and whatever AoE your primary has), Hot Feet and Cauterizing Aura have already started to scatter whatever is left standing so the burst of damage on Burn's initial cast is mostly lost.  And Burn's AoE is fairly small... so it just doesn't seem like it does a whole lot while it runs.  Obviously you won't have that problem against a hard target, though.  It can help for what I like to think of as survival through chaos.  Anything short of an AV/EB is not going to stand there to hit you with Hot Feet AND Burn on them.  

It does good damage, but FSC does more.  And it has mitigation value, but Hot Feet does the job better with its huge range and added slow.  I think you can make Burn a decent proc bomb thanks to its higher base recharge, but I haven't tried.

My current main is Ice/Fire.  I have Burn because it's good place for Obit, but I rarely use it.  Sometimes when I miscalculate or the mobs were spread out before I jump in I'll use it for cleanup, but almost never in an "everything else went according to plan" situation.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, electric_emu said:

Combustion and Consume are indeed skippable.

Burn is weird.  Some people seem to really like it, but I don't find myself using it that much.  Burn wants really to be your first power you use when you jump into melee, that honor should normally go the incredible Fire Sword Circle.  By the time you've used FSC (and whatever AoE your primary has), Hot Feet and Cauterizing Aura have already started to scatter whatever is left standing so the burst of damage on Burn's initial cast is mostly lost.  And Burn's AoE is fairly small... so it just doesn't seem like it does a whole lot while it runs.  Obviously you won't have that problem against a hard target, though.  It can help for what I like to think of as survival through chaos.  Anything short of an AV/EB is not going to stand there to hit you with Hot Feet AND Burn on them.  

It does good damage, but FSC does more.  And it has mitigation value, but Hot Feet does the job better with its huge range and added slow.  I think you can make Burn a decent proc bomb thanks to its higher base recharge, but I haven't tried.

My current main is Ice/Fire.  I have Burn because it's good place for Obit, but I rarely use it.  Sometimes when I miscalculate or the mobs were spread out before I jump in I'll use it for cleanup, but almost never in an "everything else went according to plan" situation.

That's about what I expected.

FSC does not do more damage than burn with procs in it. 

There's /fire and a solo farm and there's /fire on a team. 

On a team nuke/Judgment>follow tank and then Burn/FSC. and TAOE from primary.

Consume isn't necessary but nice as it makes you resist sapping if you cast it before said sapping. Carnis are the only thing I use it on. 

I'd say Burn is still a must-have even if you don't have a taunt aura. A proc-heavy Burn will instantly wipe minions and most Lts. Considering there's rarely more than 2 bosses per spawn, it's still an awesome power to have. And even if some Lts do survive, you can instantly follow up with FSC and/or any AoE in your primary set to put the nail in the coffin. If bosses try to flee, the fact that Blasters are ranged damage dealers by concept means you can easily kill them without chasing.

Plus, adding a Fury -Res to Burn is a great way to boost your DPS for a bit - especially against hard targets.

Edited by Falsey

Warning: This post may contain an opinion.

Never Combustion.  Too long of an animation and too low damage for that time wasted.  

Consume is best slotted for Damage and used as another AOE and those rare occurrences when your recovery and end is stolen away - even slotted for damage, it can get you enough end to sate you until your recovery returns from the debuff.

Burn is situational depending on your playstyle and other powers you might take.  if you take fire epic and take Bonfire with a KB>KD proc in it, it's great to drop the Bonfire and then a Burn patch while they flop in it.  Burn has some use for releasing you from immobilization, if you don't have protection from elsewhere. 

My main is an Ice/Fire/Fire blaster and I drop a burn patch on things I hold and then go about killing other things while the DoT eats away at them.  Blizzard, Ice Storm, Bonfire, Hotfeet, Burn, Fire Sword Circle, Consume - glorious AOE to devastate multiple mobs - you just have to be comfortable standing in the middle of an angry mob of enemies.  😄  

• Thumbs Up 1