Touch of Fear, Increase the AoE?

Mallador

Thoughts on increasing the AoE of Touch of Fear in the Dark melee powerset?  It would only have to be increased by one or two feet, as six feet has been feeling just a bit too short during my play through with it personally--makes me constantly wonder.  Additionally, other powersets that have AoE abilities, including passive skills like Blazing Aura, have an AoE spread of eight to fifteen feet--most of them being eight or ten feet.  In the melee powersets I only noticed two AoEs being six feet, which is Touch of Fear (Dark) and Spinning Strike (Street).

Just curious on what y'all think.  

Edited by Mallador
Spelling

Considering it not used to be an AoE at all until very recently, I think it's fine. It's certainly not meant push Dark Melee's AoE to the moon. We have Shadow Maul and positioning for that.

Also, try it on a Tanker. The radius is ginormous.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

It’s a melee power. It acts like a melee power should. I think it should be left alone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

And all the other AoE melee abilities that I mentioned, which are all 8-15 feet in radius are also... melee and act like melee abilities.  Don't really get your point there @Arc-Mage.  That statement kind of just tells me that you want no melee abilities to be touched, even if they genuinely need a buff or nerf, or some kind of adjustment to make it feel more like a melee ability (if that's your logic).  This adds nothing to the conversation, but thank you for sharing.

However, I did a little thinking last night and the reason the radius for Touch of Fear and Spinning Strike are both six feet is probably because they both can apply two "conditions," such as Fear and knockdown/knockback, or -Acc.  They're also not PBAoEs but are just targeted AoEs, if that matters.  All of the other melee AoEs are usually just pure damage or they have one "condition" to them, so they have a few more feet of radius.  So, it'll probably stay six feet, though missing those couple feet to the radius will just make the ability continue to feel awkward for me personally.

It's more like a small/med sized cone ability the way it's used and the amount of enemies it can get, at least that's how it's felt so far in all the TFs I've ran with it.  Which, I guess could be fine, I'll just use it a bit more and see how things go--though I'd still prefer an additional foot added personally.  There, I answered my own curiosity I guess...

Edited by Mallador

Yeah, single target AoE, same with Spinning Strike--which is something else I was thinking about too.  Both single target AoEs with two "conditions" and the only melee AoEs that have a six foot radius with two conditions attached to them. 

I never noticed the smaller AoE with Spinning Strike in the past just because the animation didn't look too big (at least my character isn't too big), but the animation that comes with Touch of Fear is a bit bigger and I'd always question myself like, "That animation just suffocated those three guys... but they didn't get hit--it just did it again."  Then I checked the AoE and was like, "Oh, that seems a bit small."  Anyways, yeah, Touch of Fear and Spinning Strike will probably both stay as six feet due to their couple differences :V

Yes, those two attack's radius is centered on the target instead of on the player like most other melee aoe's.  I believe the thinking is that makes it easier to hit more targets with it naturally, so it didn't need as big a radius.  And that has kind of been my experience with it (unless you are truly surrounded on all sides).  I wouldn't say no to it, but I haven't really had any issues with its radius and dark melee is now a very well rounded set imo.

• Thumbs Up 2