Switch From Psi/Dark to Psi/Fire?

Erratic1

A week ago I made a Psi/Dark brute since I had not played Dark since Live, and only played Psi on my initial Homecoming character (Rad/Psi Tanker). Play was enjoyable enough and without too much effort the character reached level 30. Still, I was concerned enough about how the character would play with a build I has planned out for him so I copied him to the Test Server to test his target, level 50 build.

The power combo and build were perfectly fine and it was fun tossing carnies around. But...

...Psi Melee on its own is not really the best at dealing with crowds and while I had Death Shroud for dealing some area damage, Mass Levitate, while plenty of fun, just did not speed things along while waiting for Insight backed Psi-Blade Sweep to come along. 

So my mind has turned to possibly switching to Fire Aura for armor. Yeah, I would miss the Psionic Resistance from Dark Armor. But burning groups of things might allow me to live with the loss.

Anyone ever give Psi/Fire a go? How was it?

Made the switch and have managed to get back to level 26. The only real difference so far is the niceness of having Consume.

I have a first pass final build. Oh, there is another difference. I am going to be victimized by Toxic and Psionic attacks.

Its workable as a farmer if that is something you plan to do with it at some point.  Mass levitate helps keeps things in burn.  And fiery embrace helps offset that low damage factor from Psi against machine origin baddies.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

2 hours ago, Outrider_01 said:

Its workable as a farmer if that is something you plan to do with it at some point.  Mass levitate helps keeps things in burn.  And fiery embrace helps offset that low damage factor from Psi against machine origin baddies.

I find farming about as interesting as watching paint dry. Probably paint drying wins out, but its close.

21 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

I find farming about as interesting as watching paint dry. Probably paint drying wins out, but its close.

That's a nemesis plot actually, never a true win but a win none the less 🤔

• Haha 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

The damage is not great but /Fire does help and FF procs in TK and Mass Levitate help Burn returning faster. Mass Levitate is serious CC and the FF proc helps it get back sooner as well. Kind of a pity it tosses mobs around. Not much, but it's not a vertical climb and drop so they start scattering.

Seriously though, Mass Levitate is on the level of Shockwave in terms of mitigation and much easier to use than a cone. This plays very well with a both a Brute and Fire Armor's squishyness.

The damage turns kinda disappointing though. Weird as it may sound I would not even use Greater Psi Sword to eat Insight since Insight is adding Fury boosted damage anyway and GPS is kinda not worth using outside of having Insight, making it an extra power pick and finding slots for it.

Hmm... Now I ponder a Psi/Stone with Fury boosted Brimstone and Insight and the defensive power of Stone with the CC of Mass Levitate. That would definitely fix the squish. But soloing until Mass Levitate would be miserable since the only AoE would be the aura and the small cone.

Edited by Sovera

57 minutes ago, Sovera said:

The damage turns kinda disappointing though. Weird as it may sound I would not even use Greater Psi Sword to eat Insight since Insight is adding Fury boosted damage anyway and GPS is kinda not worth using outside of having Insight, making it an extra power pick and finding slots for it.

No, was only going to eat Insight well after getting a cycle of Psi Melee's other attacks. The idea of Fury boosted DoTs were one of the initial items to sell me on doing a Psi Melee brute.

Picked up Mass Levitate this morning before the patch. Nice for laying down Burn before getting to work with Psi Melee.