Suggestion: Remove "Ajax" from the list of random names for a Warrior

vicuna

Character names are constrained to be unique because that's necessary to uniquely identify them in the database of heroes/villains registered with Paragon City/Arachnos. But while Ajax is registered as a hero, there's nothing preventing some street thug from calling himself Ajax as well.

Or we could do it the other way, and because there's been a camelid called a vicuna for hundreds of thousands of years, they have priority, so your forum account is going to be changed to "genericwanker34592", since there can only be one use of the name in the entire world.

Not counting the Coming Storm's Battalion, isn't there already two Battalions in CoX? Just from different factions? There is a LOT of name duplication that happens in comics and games if only because the most popular or thematic names for any given NPC are limited without going obscure, other language, or abandonment of creative idea requesting the name. It's why you see so many x<charactername>x, xX<charactername>Xx, 0<charactername>0, and so forth characters being played by players.

Edit: Hells. In Marvel, both Jean Grey and her daughter Rachel Summers are Phoenix. And they're both alive at the same time. (That is from time travel of course, but still.)

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

...the most popular or thematic names for any given NPC are limited without going obscure, other language, or abandonment of creative idea requesting the name. It's why you see so many x<charactername>x, xX<charactername>Xx, 0<charactername>0, and so forth characters being played by players.

Just to insert a little sarcasm here, what does it say about the player if their ability to enjoy playing a new character is predicated on giving it a name that a dozen or more others have already taken with only the minimum variation necessary to make it unique, becoming the superhero equivalent of "Dread Pirate Roberts #18359 (ask me about franchise opportunities in your area)"? That the whole character is utterly ruined if they can't have this one specific name, or they are unable to conceive of a differently-named character with the same powersets?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Just to insert a little sarcasm here, what does it say about the player if their ability to enjoy playing a new character is predicated on giving it a name that a dozen or more others have already taken with only the minimum variation necessary to make it unique, becoming the superhero equivalent of "Dread Pirate Roberts #18359 (ask me about franchise opportunities in your area)"? That the whole character is utterly ruined if they can't have this one specific name, or they are unable to conceive of a differently-named character with the same powersets?

Pretty sure the OP is talking about the NPC hero Ajax that you run into on some low level arcs, and then in DA

Just now, srmalloy said:

You make a point, but I try not to judge others by their character names. (I fail and grumble about it routinely, but I try not to judge.)

Edit: I love that though. Dread Pirate Roberts #18359 (ask me about franchise opportunities in your area). That was great. Really cracked me up. 😆

Edited by Rudra

"Some of the finest modern swordsmen on the streets..."

Yeah, there's way too many slip-shod clumsy swordsmen on the streets out there, but this guy's legit!

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 10/2/2022 at 7:40 AM, vicuna said:

Since there is a hero named Ajax, and I like him.

Screenshot 2022-10-02 193843.png

Pretty sure this is a nod to the 1979 Movie The Warriors. Ajax was his LT..