Hold On - Mea Culpa

Troo

5 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I am an artist. I have been for decades. In recent years, this took the form of music. I haven't painted since a house fire a long time ago. Here is an example of my "Art". No one gives a shit about that either. 

I know absolutely nothing about Vocaloid... But I like the song. I can imagine bouncing around a zone and hunting to it. 

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

For what it's worth... I prefer your version of She to Circus-P's. The starker, cleaner sound works better for that song.

The remix isn't bad, but to my ear it's too cluttered, and too far into "over-produced pop-song"-territory in comparison to the original.

But then, I'm a drummer.

We're known to sometimes have odd ideas about music. 😄  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

12 minutes ago, Krimson said:

The secret it, I used to listen to a LOT of Sisters of Mercy. I still listen to it a bit. Basically, Andrew Eldritch used the same scale for everything, and that same scale also lends itself really well to Celtic music. So my playing is pretty much on the same scale. For example, before Circus remixed my song, I remixed some of his. Here is an example of his song in my style.

Cool stuff. I never got SoM like most the other goths I knew, but I remain a massive Cure/Bauhaus fan to this day. Bauhaus and Ministry in particular have been played a lot in my vehicle lately, this close to halloween. UNDEAD UNDEAD UNDEAD.

For me goth was always better as an aesthetic thing than music form, except for a few notable bands. I still have massive respect for people with enough time and effort to pull off the look though. I was more a fan of the industrial and dark wave music, but goth was a pretty big umbrella back then. 

I will always love Joy Division, but I probably listen to more New Order haha.

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

I am an artist. I have been for decades. In recent years, this took the form of music. I haven't painted since a house fire a long time ago. Here is an example of my "Art". No one gives a shit about that either. 

I liked it.  It seemed like (to me) the backbone of a great song.  Now just need a lead of some type, vocal or otherwise.  The mood rhythm and style were great.  How much of this is you?  vocal instrument composition?  I am currently back at trying guitar and vocals.  I kind of suck at both.  I used to paint:  image.png.6e2e34a17b7546dd4e26a0dcc9618e8f.png

image.png.536908508b9a34fbe8c6b7d629d5589a.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Krimson said:

It's all instrumental. Vocaloid is a midi tool, even though the mascots look like anime characters. Even the singing you hear was composed on my YRG-1000.

Composing is far (if ever) in my future.  Short term goals on that are trying to copy Keith Richards style and build some repeating riffs to use over sections of songs.  Thats as far as my compositional music dreams go.  Strangely vocal is by its nature more improvisational than I ever dreamed.  The more you chase tone and flow the less encumbered you are by words and meanings.  Now I know why so many lyrics are hard to understand.  The artist chased the sound at the expense of the clarity of speech.

9 minutes ago, Krimson said:

This is the last song I put together after Ulcerative Colitis decided to change the rules of life forever. Unlike my other tracks, I used a piece of software called Sibelius to make the arrangement. Sibelius is kind of like Finale, so you can compose using music notation, which I did. So in this case, the guitar wasn't even me playing guitar, it was me painting notes on a screen. 

I've posted this one before, but I guess it's relevant here. The discordant singing is not easy to accomplish. Gumi usually sounds perfect and melodic out of the box, so making her sounds like an amateur takes some work. But it's not like my Vocaloid tuning skills are that great, but I got it done. I don't think I could even do that anymore. When I would tune the Vocals, used to use a Graphire 3 Wacom Tablet, but in the last decade it seems I lost the pen. 

That is beautiful!  I wish I had that kind of talent.  So cheerfully dark dark dark

7 minutes ago, Krimson said:

So funny story. The girl in the song was actually a character from a pen and paper game, and the song was made as an application to the game. The game fizzled soon after, but I definitely had a slot. 😄 It was a game where everyone has superpowers, and my character's powers were kind of similar to Zandar from the old Marvel GI Joe comics, where he had the ability to blend in and not be noticed. Hiding in plain site as it were. So the premise of the girl is that no one notices her, because she is... I guess the best term would be "Dim" in the same way Randolph Flagg could make himself dim. 

If you had any sheet music I would love to see it, ESPECIALLY the melody line.  I think it would be a geat bass riff but I would love to screw around on the guitar with it.

3 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Unfortunately, I'd have to figure out which hard drive everything is on. I upgraded my computer in 2019, so my old stuff is... somewhere. I'm still trying to motivate myself to make new stuff. But I have a problem.

I used to drink like Lemmy Kilminster. I have never created anything sober, and nearly three and a half years after I quit drinking, my brain is only just starting to wire itself to be somewhat creative again. Heh, our old group used to joke about the fictional drinking habits of one of the avatars we played with, and here I was doing that for real. So, I do have music software installed again, but trying to coax my brain to make something is still an effort. 

I can relate.  Both to the bingeing and having my "treasures" buried here there and everywhere.  I have discovered is is just more important to be a little bit creative today.  The rest will (possibly) flow into place when it should.

Krimson, your music is REALLY good.

I mean, I dabble about in Mixcraft and Voltage Modular*, but mostly it's rescoring MIDI tracks to different instruments, occasionally some loop compositions that still sound like, you know, loops. 

Voltage Modular is basically an analog synth builder, sold/distributed by Cherry Audio.  It should fit into any DAW as a VST plugin, and if you're into building effects off of analog instruments such as guitars, it can be used as an effects rack just as easily as it can a synth builder.  The base version is "free" but you'll end up buying synth modules to plug into the board, that's how they get you. 

Here's an example, where I took a Tangerine Dream midi I found someplace, and dressed it up using VM instruments. The only thing unchanged on this is the drum track - the original MIDI had a basic piano for the melodic parts.

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!