Add Shields as a Costume Piece

TheZag

Add shields as a costume part for everyone,  not just shield defense.  I have alot of characters and concepts that would love to have a shield but not shield defense.  Many of them arent even melee characters and could never have a shield currently.

My other reason for the request is there is only so much shield defense before its time to play a different set.  Pretty much all melee weapon sets look great with a shield but that is alot of shield defense just to complete the costume.  It would be great to get the look without being locked into shield defense every time.

Obviously the shield only appears when a shield defense ability is used so other sets would need a way to turn it on and off.  A zero endurance toggle with no stats for 'shield on' would be adequate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Possibly simple solution? Add shields as "backpacks" in the costume creator. Long run solution? Add a shield option to the gloves menu. (Was there some comment from a dev about shields becoming a sheathed option somewhere or am I delusional?) Either way? Sure, I have no qualms with shields as costume pieces.

Question though: If the shield is a costume piece, why would it need a "shield on" toggle for shield defense abilities? As a costume piece, it would have no shield defense abilities. I could see it working similar to a combat aura where the shield appears on the character when they are in combat, but that is different.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Question though: If the shield is a costume piece, why would it need a "shield on" toggle for shield defense abilities? As a costume piece, it would have no shield defense abilities. I could see it working similar to a combat aura where the shield appears on the character when they are in combat, but that is different.

With current shield defense,  the shield will disappear if you turn off all shield toggles, and there are times when that is appropriate.  As a costume piece i wanted to keep that functionality instead of 'always on'.  So basically just a on/off button for non shield defense users to have with their shield.  I tend to leave my shield toggles on while out of combat because it still looks good.  

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a shield and shieldless look that you swap between? I mean, if the devs can put in a costume toggle and are willing, then great. (I'm also going to ask for it to be expanded to other costume options too then.) No issues. It's just the... uhm... issue... of coding it....

That last two lines made almost no sense in conjunction with each other and I wrote it....

• Thumbs Up 1

If the extra toggle made it a no and just use an extra costume slot was a yes, then i would go for the change costumes option.  Just in my non programmer head im thinking 'just clone a shield defense toggle,  strip all buffs, change the end cost to zero and rename it'.  Thats probably not how it works but its where im coming from when i hope for a toggle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmmmmm.

You can make yourself into a rock monster using Icon, even if you took SR or Invuln instead of Stone Armor.  There's even some smaller shield like glove costume parts like Sinister w/shield.

I like the idea, i do. I really do.  But I also however wonder how difficult it would be to redo just....so many animations (left hand blasts, for starters), not to mention how would it work for 2 handed options like katana and claws and rifles.  Do they get left out?

I'd use the shit out of it, but I also main an ma/sr scrapper who doesn't have to worry about weapons.  But on the other hand, mu bolts, ball of lightning, and other epic powers use my left hand so id like to know how that'd be overcome.  :)

1 hour ago, Aracknight said:

Hmmmmm.

You can make yourself into a rock monster using Icon, even if you took SR or Invuln instead of Stone Armor.  There's even some smaller shield like glove costume parts like Sinister w/shield.

I like the idea, i do. I really do.  But I also however wonder how difficult it would be to redo just....so many animations (left hand blasts, for starters), not to mention how would it work for 2 handed options like katana and claws and rifles.  Do they get left out?

I'd use the shit out of it, but I also main an ma/sr scrapper who doesn't have to worry about weapons.  But on the other hand, mu bolts, ball of lightning, and other epic powers use my left hand so id like to know how that'd be overcome.  🙂

The shield is attached to the arm and already goes where the arm goes,  alot of left handed stuff would look just fine.  Animation changes based on costume pieces would be way out of the scope of the benefit provided by shields as a costume part.  It would have some clipping but there are plenty of costumes that clip.  Shield defense already has some clipping with itself.  The team would have to determine if its acceptable or if certain powersets arent compatible with shields.

We can test some of the animations already with a shield.  Grab some temp powers with a shield defense character and fire away.  The game doesnt mind that your arm has a shield on it at all.  Its also possible to do the 'forbidden for shield user' emotes with a shield.  Just do a usable emote first and without moving do a forbidden one.  Yes they clip but none of it bothered me.  If i can stand with 50% of my character inside a wall,  i dont care if my shield clips my body for 4 frames of an animation.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking this through and thought about the animations and things associated.

Would that be an issue?

If so, maybe manufacture another set of miscellaneous pool powers available at level 6 that were clones of existing powers to accommodate the request.  It makes the idea useful in a build too.
Maybe call it "merc combat" or some smizzle...

• A shield defense toggle (to allow the shield to stay on and still have some value/also unlocking the costume piece option in Icon/costume creator),
  • a single (*not dual!*) pistol shot (some folks may want their guy to carry a sidearm, even if their powers are different),
  • the throwing knife (<---- I have always wanted to have this without having to compromise origin), and
  • maybe the zero g jump pack as a travel option.

The powers need not be super powerful like their primary/secondary set counterparts, but if they were there, they would commit the option for the costume part/animations with little adjustment to code.

A flavor set to be sure.

Just spitballing.

Edited by AlabasterKnight

I still believe good guys wear white hats and it's okay hold doors for others.

Original Server: Protector  ||  Supergroup: The Garrison <||>  Homecoming Server: Excelsior  ||  Supergroup: The Watchguard