Double Drop Days

Coming together for events is one of the best things in mmorpgs. Whether that be ToT or taking down GMs that are seasonal.

So what about other things like double recipe drops, double XP/inf, AE weekend where all AE content has the full XP comparable to other mobs, AE dev content could be given double, you could have double spawn weekends.

There's so many options some I believe are good and some bad. The goal would be to spike the player base around such events and you could do something for most play styles, event supporting others to do those things more bringing people together and potentially expanding people's interest in areas they usually don't partake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

Thumbs down because I (and the majority of the playerbase) already regularly farm in AE. It's the best way to level, and the 2nd-best to get loot; that's promotion enough.

The general idea has merit, though. I'd like to see it applied to things that are actually unpopular. Specifically, anything redside or goldside, PVP (base raids included), any itrial that's not lam/baf, a lot of old TF's and storyarcs, etc. I would actually do a lot of this content if it paid anything reasonably decent, say 50-100 M/hr. And I want an option to exemp down with travel powers disabled in a hazard zone and go on a mission to find an objective or hunt a boss, etc. Bring back the "hazard" in hazard zones.

Now I know someone will come along and say, "but you don't need xp/inf to do those! You should do content for the fun!" Which is the silliest non-argument ever in game balance. Loot and other rewards are an intrinsic part of the fun in games; the anticipation, the delayed gratification, the rush of dopamine when you get what you waited for, are every bit as important as the process of achieving the goal itself.

Loot is to content as seasoning is to food. Saying people should do content "just for fun" is like a terrible chef claiming that if the food is good enough it don't need no seasoning. Season the ****ing food!

1 hour ago, Zect said:

Thumbs down because I (and the majority of the playerbase) already regularly farm in AE. It's the best way to level, and the 2nd-best to get loot; that's promotion enough.

The general idea has merit, though. I'd like to see it applied to things that are actually unpopular. Specifically, anything redside or goldside, PVP (base raids included), any itrial that's not lam/baf, a lot of old TF's and storyarcs, etc. I would actually do a lot of this content if it paid anything reasonably decent, say 50-100 M/hr. And I want an option to exemp down with travel powers disabled in a hazard zone and go on a mission to find an objective or hunt a boss, etc. Bring back the "hazard" in hazard zones.

Now I know someone will come along and say, "but you don't need xp/inf to do those! You should do content for the fun!" Which is the silliest non-argument ever in game balance. Loot and other rewards are an intrinsic part of the fun in games; the anticipation, the delayed gratification, the rush of dopamine when you get what you waited for, are every bit as important as the process of achieving the goal itself.

Loot is to content as seasoning is to food. Saying people should do content "just for fun" is like a terrible chef claiming that if the food is good enough it don't need no seasoning. Season the ****ing food!

This is the type of thing I'm thinking and I appreciate your filling in the areas of most benefit. We all play the game differently and I agree that there are areas that would very much benefit (red/gold weekend).

I don't think nerfs to AE or constant buffs to content is the way to push people. Rather promote brief options for underutilized content.

The idea comes from my time on Warframe where double whatever weekends with booster gives 4x so content that isnt "fun" enough becomes profitable enough and popular enough to do.

Haven't decided my stance on the OP yet, other than don't do that for AE. (Edit: Also, there is no point to double xp days since any player can have any day be double xp day whenever (s)he wants already.) It's this statement in the 1st reply that throws me for a loop though:

5 hours ago, Zect said:

And I want an option to exemp down with travel powers disabled in a hazard zone and go on a mission to find an objective or hunt a boss, etc. Bring back the "hazard" in hazard zones.

First, the only travel zone that had no travel powers available in it was Perez Park because you got sent in it at level 6 or 7, and you still had access to Hover to (very, very, very, very) slowly get past everything to get to your destination. (Edit: Or grab Stealth and sneak through the zone just slightly slower than normal.) Second, you can exemp down and have no travel powers. No travel powers is one of the options available when exemping down to do content. Unless you are referring to just joining a lower level team rather than going through Ouroboros, but your statement doesn't read that way to me.

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Also, there is no point to double xp days since any player can have any day be double xp day whenever (s)he wants already.

Double so since base XP earnings are already considerably higher than on Live.  To the point where you'll get people complaining about leveling too fast.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Double so since base XP earnings are already considerably higher than on Live.  To the point where you'll get people complaining about leveling too fast.

Like those of us who turn off xp already do.

The Windfall (https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Windfall) power covers a lot of this.  However, the Windfall power AFAIK currently only drops from Hero/Vigilante Packs, at approximately a 5% chance to drop from any given pack.

I wouldn't really care if the Powers That Be figured out a way to periodically distribute this power, like if you log in on the first Tuesday of the month you get one charge.

I would, however, object if the power were, say made available for purchase, unless the price was appropriately high.

Who run Bartertown?

20 hours ago, Rudra said:

First, the only travel zone that had no travel powers available in it was Perez Park because you got sent in it at level 6 or 7, and you still had access to Hover to (very, very, very, very) slowly get past everything to get to your destination.

Don't know if it's still the case, but you used to be sent to David Wincott in the Hollows at lvl 5.

3 hours ago, Uun said:

Don't know if it's still the case, but you used to be sent to David Wincott in the Hollows at lvl 5.

You're not any more. After the addition of the Galaxy City tutorial and the after tutorial arcs, Wincott is no longer referenced. If you want to do the Hollows arcs, you have to take yourself there just like the First Ward content now.

Edit: I also don't really consider the Hollows to be a hazard zone, just a very very broad level range one. The spawn sizes are smaller than what you normally see in hazard zones.

Edited by Rudra

38 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I also don't really consider the Hollows to be a hazard zone, just a very very broad level range one.

The rework that was done on it nerfed it as a hazard zone. You used to be able to hunt Pumicite bosses by looking for the fires on the ground at Pumicite spawns, and the southern part of the zone was a good place to hunt green-con Madness Mages, farming Luck Charms when they were running 30k apiece in the AH, the single biggest expense of crafting the low-level Accuracy IOs. Now, as you describe, the spawns are smaller, and you rarely see bosses.