Knockback to Knockdown

Hjarki

Knockback can be resisted in two ways: protection and resistance. Resistance only reduces the distance of knockback (and is commonly given by Controller Immobilize, for example). Protection reduces the Magnitude of Knockback, meaning it's more likely to not function at all.

Which (or both) do KB->KD enhancements provide? It seems like they should only provide Resistance - consider the Sudden Acceleration set where you have an entire set dedicated to amplifying Knockback and then the 6th piece is KB->KD. But I don't know a good way to test it, so I'm wondering if anyone has.

My understanding: The KB>KD enhancements set the power's KB Magnitude to 0.67 when slotted, below the knockdown threshold and regardless of any other Knockback enhancements the power has slotted.  It does seem wasted that the rest of the Sudden Acceleration set is basically annuled by the last enhancement but I've never used any other parts of the set anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

It's got to be slightly more complex than just changing the mag to 0.67 because as far as I know the Purple Patch effects it, which is separate from resistance to an effect.  If it just put the mag effect to 0.67 you should get kb against lower level mobs, especially mobs  several levels lower.  I assume (since I can't get in game) that's not the case anyway as no one has mentioned it doing so.  If it creates a pseudo pet that gives the foes 10,000% and protection ala Practiced Brawler.  No idea how to test that ... about the only kb I've ever seen effect my /SR scrapper are Rikti bombs which don't knock her down per se but send her skittering backwards but remaining upright.

15 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I'm almost positive that's a Repel effect,  which occurs with several types of destructable objects. 

Possible, with the stutter portion being the kb/kd effect related to the explosion.  SR does not inherently have Repel protection and it's similar to the movement/animation of my foes trying to run into my Stormies Hurricane.  But by the same token I've never noticed Tsoo Hurricanes doing anything but debuffing the heck out of me.

Edit:  And from what I can see none of the 'Nuclear Blast" attacks have Repel just +300 mag knockback though it could be I'm not looking at the correct info.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Afterthought

• 3 weeks later
On 11/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

...If it just put the mag effect to 0.67 you should get kb against lower level mobs, especially mobs  several levels lower.  I assume (since I can't get in game) that's not the case anyway as no one has mentioned it doing so.

I'll mention it then, its possible to still have knockbacks with the kb->kd enhancements slotted (or even just any <1 kb power) against low level and weak to KB mobs. Very easy to confirm against clockwork mobs, which are weak to knockback, you'll still do knockback against clockworks with the conversion slotted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Alphabet Bunnies
Currently Building: Dark/Fire Tanker, Merc/Time MM

50 Bunnies: Alpha Bunny (Il/Rad Controller) Beta-Bunny (FF/BR Defender) Gamma-Bunny (Seismic/Stone Sent) Epsilon Bunny (Spines/Invul Scrapper) Theta Bunny (Willpower/Axe Tanker) Zeta Bunny (DB/EnA Stalker) Lambda Bunny (Bio/SvgM Tanker) Xi Bunny (Stone/Stone Stalker) Sigma Bunny (SR/KM Tanker) Upsilon Bunny (Shield/DM Tanker) Chi Bunny (Fire Farmer Brute) Omega Bunny (Claws/Ninja Scrapper) F - araday Bunny (Elec/Elec Defender)
50 Non-Bunnies: Darboux (Crab Spider) Invisible Icicle (Ice/Bio Stalker) Cooling-Tower (Rad/Ice Tanker) Ferrouscious Feline (Invul/WM Tanker) Bill the Yeti (SavM/Ice Stalker) Sally Salamander (Fire/MA Tanker) Blade Azure (Kat/EnA Scrapper)