Kick/ban from SG bases?

MHertz

Now that we have PVP in supergroup bases, can we implement a kick/ban feature to remove problematic players from the base, preferably based on global ID? Some SGs are going to want to use the PVP feature as a role-playing aid and will need a method to remove players who are making trouble.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

I thought base PvP itself didn't exist and the new raid system simply enabled PvP access from the base? Did I misunderstand the system? If the base itself is not subject to PvP, what kind of trouble can other players cause?

(If my understanding is wrong, please correct me. I have no issues with being able to remove troublesome players, I just don't see how they can make trouble in the base.)

Edit: And if base PvP does exist again, what happens if base designers place the raid resurrection circles in an isolated room with no exits? I think /stuck is disabled for raids.

Edited by Rudra

My understanding is that base raiding does not exist, per se, but base PVP can be activated. I have not tested this to see how it functions.

If the SG is running with PVP active for an in-character "sparring" session, or using Halloween costumes to simulate a parley with some Rikti or whatever, then someone could definitely cause trouble by attacking people or attacking the "enemy" when that is not what the RPers are trying to do.

Even without base PVP, a lot of people on Everlasting have set up their bases as public spaces to be shared — restaurants, parks, city blocks, apartments, or what have you. Occasionally you get people showing up making trouble, such as by spamming, or inserting themselves in an RP session where they are not invited, or starting arguments that drown out whatever else was going on. Right now there are no good alternatives to preventing this, short of changing the base password and kicking everybody out, even the people who weren't a problem; or one could try to summon a GM to scold the unwanted participant. Having an in-between option — begone with thee! — would let RP sessions police themselves.

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

You can now enable PvP inside sg bases, yes.

You cannot Cancel or Kick someone from such an event, because that would be pretty broken as far as PvP goes.

Whether you can ban an individual from participating in the first place is another question.

Did an incident actually occur or are you conjecturing on what Might happen?

Edited by Wavicle

Incidents occur all the time as problems come up with public RP spaces. That should be reason enough to give base owners and SGs control over whether troublemakers have the right to stay and continue being obnoxious. PVP is only an added wrinkle that provides extra impetus for a solution.

Whether or not such a command should be permitted while PVP is active is a question of implementation. The devil is in the details.

• I think you ought to be able to kick someone out before PVP begins, if they aren't part of the plan and won't leave voluntarily.
  • After PVP has been activated, it should be the case that no further people can enter the base. This prevents PVP from being used as an ambush against unsuspecting players (who enter the base and didn't know PVP was active) but also to prevent pile-ons (give all your buddies the code and zerg rush the other side). Once PVP is flagged, the portal should lock — in my opinion, anyhow. (Edit: I do not know whether this is already the case, as I don't use base PVP.)
  • Whether a kick command should be permitted during PVP, and by whom (team leaders? base leaders? anyone in the SG?), I couldn't say. That is literally not my fight.
Edited by MHertz
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MHertz said:

I think you ought to be able to kick someone out before PVP begins, if they aren't part of the plan and won't leave voluntarily.

What about passive observers not involved in the PvP action? Once the PvP starts, the active members are all that are able to be involved in the PvP, and anyone else that enters after it starts is relegated to spectating, being a human shield, or acting as on the ground journalists? I don't know how any of this works in base PvP, if that would even be possible, let alone desirable. It's just a thought. From a self-admitted hater of PvP. (If they're asked to leave, then they should leave. SG members should all be able to kick non-members asked to leave out of the base, though not ban, if the OP is implemented.)

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

What about passive observers not involved in the PvP action?... I don't know how any of this works in base PvP, if that would even be possible, let alone desirable.

I can't answer questions about how base PVP is designed to work. That isn't at all related to what I'm suggesting. From the standpoint of a kick/ban function, I'm only saying I can envision a use for it, if you're trying to set up a 4v4 battle but some knob won't leave the base. For all I know, the problem of bystanders has already been solved. Or not.

Honestly, even ignoring PVP it'd be a welcome feature. It's been rare, but there have been times from live to now I've wanted to just *remove* someone and keep them from coming back while running an event. (Maybe 2-3 times in all that time.)

Kheldian backstory guide 2.0 is out.

• Lead Game Master

I believe this item is already on the list of things the Devs are looking into, but I'm not sure of feasibility or ETA.

However, I can offer a partial solution: the GM team.

Step one: Have the SG leader (the character with the red star) tell the person they are not welcome in the base, and ask them to leave. This falls under our rule of "if someone tells you to leave them alone, you must leave them alone". This extends to SG bases. In an RP environment, make sure this is expressed Out of Character.

Step two, assuming they refuse: The SG leader should send in a support request, and/or ping @ game master on discord. If someone is available, we can take action. Even if someone isn't available, we can investigate the incident and take necesary actions against the offending account.

I know this is not a perfect solution. Sometimes the SG leader or a GM may not be available to facilitate all of this.  A non leader may still take these actions, however, we greatly prefer to only communicate with an SG's leader when dealing with SG issues.

I must emphasize that step one is VERY important. Entering your SG base and being mildly annoying or socially inept isn't breaking any rules. You have to tell them, under no uncertain circumstances, to leave you alone (and by extension, leave your base). Them not doing so IS breaking a rule, and is actionable.

But yes, a way for people to control who can enter or stay in their base would be a good tool to have!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!