How to deal with Runners?

blue4333

My Forts put a Lockdown +mag 3 hold in Dominate which should be strong enough for AVs plus it comes with a decent punch. Other than that, a fairly decent movement speed to shadow them with.

My Widows prefer Combat Teleport to target (/bind [key] powexec_location Target Combat Teleport)

Edited by Six-Six
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just an FYI sleep and immobilize aren't effected by the PToD.  Holds, Stuns etc. are so they will likely only work solo while the PToD are down (the purple triangles circling them) i.e. spiraling downward.  While those are moving up they possess an additional 50 points of protection.  

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Just an FYI sleep and immobilize aren't effected by the PToD.  Holds, Stuns etc. are so they will likely only work solo while the PToD are down (the purple triangles circling them) i.e. spiraling downward.  While those are moving up they possess an additional 50 points of protection.  

Solid advice! Do you know a safe magnitude to build for Immobilizing an AV? 

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Solid advice! Do you know a safe magnitude to build for Immobilizing an AV? 

My understanding is its the same as for Bosses or 3.  A lot of my Defenders started taking an Immobilize from the epic pools just for that purpose as they got tired of chasing Rommy (in particular) all over the place.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

My understanding is its the same as for Bosses or 3.  A lot of my Defenders started taking an Immobilize from the epic pools just for that purpose as they got tired of chasing Rommy (in particular) all over the place.

I know Widows have access to Confront, does Taunt do the same thing in regards to keeping an AV from running?

13 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I know Widows have access to Confront, does Taunt do the same thing in regards to keeping an AV from running?

Don't think I've ever tried the Confront on a Widow but it should help.  Certainly there's a lot a conversation around taunt auras on scrappers to deal with runners.  I suspect it works very well while solo but with teams you start having to deal with effects that cause Afraid and other potent debuffs some of which can cause foes to run.  I've seen Recluse run despite the presence of a Granite Tanker.  At first none of us in SG doing the STF had any clue why Recluse started running but eventually we decided it was likely caused by the Stormies Tornado and/or Lightning Storm both of which have an Afraid component.  So Immobilize, once you get the mag over 3, should keep them in place 100% of the time as long as you keep the Immob going and the particular AV does not have or get effected by another source of protection where Taunt is probably a big improvement but not a 100% (ymmv).  In the case of everyone's favorite runner Rommy I don't believe he has any additional protection himself but the bosses and other Cimerorans use Shout of Command which might free him if he's in the AoE.  Shout will buff his protection but it's much easier to spam enough Immobilize to beat Shout's extra protection as long as they don't start stacking it.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

Blaster logans run GIF - Find on GIFER

This is how Sandmen did it.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

CJ + Hurdle + a lot of bunnyhopping is my universal solution for runners.

In theory patron pool immobilizes should be great too. Personally, I find I keep wanting to do damage rather than spend activation time on an immobilize; especially soloing an AV where dealing enough damage to outpace their regen is critical. So, I'm never disciplined enough to keep them still...

My main was Claws/SR so I had a couple ways outside of immobilizing a runner.  First she has two ranged attacks in Focus and Shockwave.  So they just ate floor 20 or 30ft away running.  And second she's SR and very quick.  Between that and her attacks running them down is rarely more than a few steps.  Never really bothered her (or me).