CoH for mobile?

Well if you can root it and get Windows running on the phone you might have a shot to get it working.

On another note: It is possible to run the game via virtual desktop and play it on a headset. That said it's not optimized and choppy even with WiFi 6. It's basically just playing on a movie theater screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later
On 1/7/2023 at 9:37 PM, biostem said:

You might be better off running one of those remote desktop apps, but unless you're using a bluetooth keyboard & mouse or gamepad, I can't imagine it being a very good experience.

Yes the Samsung Z Fold 4 can be used with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I have one and am also looking for answers on this very topic, (all hail forum search function).  The phone is basically a laptop as well, I run CoH on my Surface Pro and was hoping it would work on the phone, but I do understand thats an Android platform not Windows.  Still one holds out hope.  What remote desktop apps do yall recomend?  Whats the best one in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Freelyx said:

Yes the Samsung Z Fold 4 can be used with a wireless keyboard and mouse, I have one and am also looking for answers on this very topic, (all hail forum search function).  The phone is basically a laptop as well, I run CoH on my Surface Pro and was hoping it would work on the phone, but I do understand thats an Android platform not Windows.  Still one holds out hope.  What remote desktop apps do yall recomend?  Whats the best one in your opinion?

It won't ever run natively, you'd have to stream it from a desktop or laptop.

Given that the came is 110% WASD and not controller, I concur that any attempt to run it on a mobile device would be dismal in one way or another.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

30 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Given that the came is 110% WASD and not controller, I concur that any attempt to run it on a mobile device would be dismal in one way or another.

The phone has a bluetooth full foldable keyboard and mouse.  I was curious about the possible remote desktop apps and if there was one that could be recomended.  I know it won't work on the Android operating system itself, but I can connect to Steam and through that I might be able to use the remote desktop to make CoX run (all be it janky I know).

On 1/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, Scorched Polar Bear said:

I have the new Samsung 4 Fold Z and was wondering if anyone has had success playing on a mobile device? If so, can anyone walk me through it? 

Thanks!

In case you are still trying, here's my idea's so far (still checking on the remote desktop software that might work best)

Mouse: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FG8LBV/?coliid=IABLBOYJMTH75&colid=KB5GBXEUTYJ9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TW35H1Z/?coliid=IQYQX84YM4MP5&colid=KB5GBXEUTYJ9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Steam for remote desktop: https://store.steampowered.com/

And no I don't know this will work, I'm working in the blind just like you hoping for better answers.  Let me know if you figured out a way or got this to work.

1 hour ago, Freelyx said:

Yes, hense the request for a "REMOTE DESKTOP" application suggestion or recomendation.

Sorry, just making sure you understood this. If your desktop or laptop has an AMD GPU you can use their own built-in software, AMD Link. I'm sure Nvidia has something similar. I would start there.

40 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Sorry, just making sure you understood this. If your desktop or laptop has an AMD GPU you can use their own built-in software, AMD Link. I'm sure Nvidia has something similar. I would start there.

No appology needed, I understood, sorry if that came off as agressive, I only meant to point out the original intension in hopes you might have some help.  Thank you for coming back and giving that insight on the AMD GPU, I'll take a look at that when I get home from work.

4 hours ago, Freelyx said:

The phone has a bluetooth full foldable keyboard and mouse.  I was curious about the possible remote desktop apps and if there was one that could be recomended.  I know it won't work on the Android operating system itself, but I can connect to Steam and through that I might be able to use the remote desktop to make CoX run (all be it janky I know).

My point is that remoting something that needs flawless, fast keyboard and mouse inputs is going to be problematic in nearly all situations. Controller games are marginally better at this, but WASD action games are rarely going to be round-trip responsive enough to play except in limited circumstances.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

At your house, I'd look at using a client such as Moonlight, since Nvidia ended their "remote play" solution (but they can't kill off NVENC, which is a hardware feature) or AMD Link if you use Radeon graphics.  If the hardware requirements make you cross your eyes, check out the software ones below.

Hardware solution

Both have requirements:

NVidia requires a GTX 600 for it's oldest H.264-supported encoder, but cards since GTX 1050 support H.265.

Radeon cards need RX 6000 and newer cards in order to work with AMD Link. 

This works best involving a gaming desktop.  There's some laptop host support (Discrete Radeon Graphics only - hard to tell, but AMD Link does not include integrated graphics like Vega, Navi or Radeon on Chip) but admittedly it's a crapshoot.  Intel, Arc GFX card may do this, but I'd have no idea.  (IGPs like Xe, Iris & GMA 4000 may do it if it supports VAAPI.  The rest definitely won't.)

CON: Your gaming system is technically still powered on.  And if you want a purely headless system (no screen, wireless keyboard or mouse) you have to use a HDMI or DisplayPort dummy plug (they're cheap on Amazon.)  Also, a recent router or mesh Wi-Fi network would be a good idea (at least 150-300Mbps wireless on router and your device.)

PRO: Any phone, tablet or low-spec laptop can now play City of Heroes in your house.  Go do a MSR in your kitchen.

Software solution

There's also Sunshine, which attempts to bridge all the remote video specs together to the same open-source server, but it needs homework done on your part.  https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine If successful, any Moonlight client system can see the Sunshine-running system and connect to it.

And Parsec don't give a damn what you got.  But it doesn't work as well if the graphic card doesn't use H.264/H.265 output (if your card uses AMD Link/NVENC, it'll try to use it, if it doesn't, it won't) and takes a slight performance hit over the above being primarily software driven.  However, Parsec does have easier remote use away from home - each client syncs with a cloud login similar to Remote Admin products like TeamViewer or VNC. https://parsec.app/

Edited by Tock

Inactive account.  For current info, see GM_Tock.