Were Brutes that Badly Nerfed?

drgantz

3 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

correction: it only makes a difference if you have your difficulty at x3 or higher. 

Additional correction: In the hypothetical that you ignore actual gameplay where lower Armor values makes herding a greater risk for certain ATs and the fact that dumpster diving has long history in game (as does farming).

• Banjo 1

Just now, ScarySai said:

They were indeed nerfed.

But the reasoning was certainly not valid.

Or at least dubiously suspicious given the need to protect Blaster/Scrapper team viability due to what has been stated to be edge cases has not translated to a similar need to protect Brutes, especially given hard mode content being introduced where for damage Blasters, Scrappers, and Stalkers are better choices, and you'd NEVER want a Brute taking for you.

But that last point will be pooh-poohed as a minor portion of the game WHILE IT WAS ALSO THE CASE that Brutes outperforming required sufficient buffing as to also not the majority of situations.

• Like 1
  • Banjo 1

18 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Additional correction: In the hypothetical that you ignore actual gameplay where lower Armor values makes herding a greater risk for certain ATs and the fact that dumpster diving has long history in game (as does farming).

Is herding even a thing anymore? Serious question.  Not intending to belittle your point. 

• Banjo 1

5 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Or at least dubiously suspicious given the need to protect Blaster/Scrapper team viability due to what has been stated to be edge cases has not translated to a similar need to protect Brutes, especially given hard mode content being introduced where for damage Blasters, Scrappers, and Stalkers are better choices, and you'd NEVER want a Brute taking for you.

But that last point will be pooh-poohed as a minor portion of the game WHILE IT WAS ALSO THE CASE that Brutes outperforming required sufficient buffing as to also not the majority of situations.

It's hard to think of any scenario they could have been thinking of where it really made sense, still. Maybe fire brutes, but those are long dead now.

Brutes were good at the role they filled by default since tanks were so bad, but by any objective metric scrappers, blasters and corruptors were a much stronger force on a team. Hell, some 4* comps still use scrappers over tanks and brutes.

Probably some forum brain rot going on when they made that call.

• Banjo 1

2 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Is herding even a thing anymore? Serious question.  Not intending to belittle your point. 

I think it is relatively rare--certain maps and situations.

Been doing it in solo play on my latest Tanker because at a certain point it is faster to merge groups of foes and be hitting everyone with the occasional AOE than mostly relying on single target attacks on separate spawns (driven by damage per endurance considerations). He's not the first Tanker I've taken that approach on.

I'm sure there is a sweet spot for difficulty setting and herding, but mostly playing it by ear as opposed to methodically figure out what it is.

• Banjo 1

3 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

It's hard to think of any scenario they could have been thinking of where it really made sense, still. Maybe fire brutes, but those are long dead now.

Brutes were good at the role they filled by default since tanks were so bad, but by any objective metric scrappers, blasters and corruptors were a much stronger force on a team. Hell, some 4* comps still use scrappers over tanks and brutes.

Probably some forum brain rot going on when they made that call.

Or a scenario where it worked out to place Brutes where they should have been and needed to be. 

Where they are now minus a few needed tweaks. 

• Banjo 1

1 minute ago, Infinitum said:

Or a scenario where it worked out to place Brutes where they should have been and needed to be. 

Do you have anything valuable to say whatsoever?

• Banjo 1

1 minute ago, ScarySai said:

Do you have anything valuable to say whatsoever?

Probably not if I were to ask you, luckily that metric doesn't fall to you. 😉

You aren't looking at any of this objectively because you are remembering how god tier Brutes used to be - in your own words to me. 

Until you can let go of that - everything said here aside from giving your toys back to you will be a perceived slight. 

• Like 4
  • Banjo 1

This forum is hilarious, no wonder we can't get serious inter-AT balance improvements made or fix all of the egregiously underperforming sets.  Too many damned contrarians popping in to say "nu uh".

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Banjo 1

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."