My city of heroes/Villains experience

Crimson Gas

I have never played coh when it was around back in the day, but city of heroes homecoming is a game unlike anything i have ever played. Started as a villain ended as a villain. I used to have issues with being a healer and the pve used to be really hard. After I hit lvl 50 i wanted to try pvp so i did and i hated it. No offence here but if your a healer role this is unplayable. People can 1 shot you because you don't have something called pvp build? Why do you need a build just to play it? The only solution is to start over. Issue with that you cant transfer everything and it isn't worth deleting a character just to play the pvp. Not only is it not worth restarting it is also unfair for villains. The villain population isnt big as the heroes so even if i had a really good pvp build i would get jumped by 8 different people with no help. When i got bested by another player i felt like this game is is $hit. After all this fun you come to here just to get 1 shotted by a dude with more health and a better build than you. In my op theirs no skill in it. Its who ever has a better role than you and even if you do your not beating 4 tanks, a stalker plus a blaster. You will end up rage quitting. Even if i did restart i already played through the story. I know you can hit 50 in a day but it isn't worth all that just to play 1 mode. The pvp in my op is unbalanced and broken if you dont have a role your not going to be winning anything and even if you do your still going to lose. It is not for everyone i get that and im a pve guy this stuff is not for me. I dont feel like farming and making a pvp build and restarting. Im to lazy to grind to 50, i play other video games and i have life coh and cov isnt my life. Overall if i had to give my rating i would rank coh and cov a clean 9/10. The only reason it is not getting that 10/10 is because the pvp is absolute dog water. Now i know people will disagree yeah because you been on this game since day one while i have only been here since 2020 of the 8th. I'm jut talking about my experience. If i wanted to get into pvp i would just make a new character without deleting my old one and spend that time easy. but why dont i wish to do it? Why i have to complain . Its because as a healer i felt humiliated getting jumped by 4 different heroes while i could do nothing. Like come on bro seriously? I hope they do some changes. Maybe add 2 different pvp severs one normal and the other balanced so more players can play without having to worry about not being as strong as you. Idk that's just my op. Besides that if you like pvp keep playing it, but me im just going to stay pve permanently    

Screenshot (6).png

Sorry about a rant im usually to tired to rant, but my guy getting smacked in the face and losing all of his energy falling to the ground then getting 1 shotted is unacceptable. Im the great Crimson Gas not a robot test dummy. I have soloed all of the main heroes with no help i am not a battle droid im a evil criminal super villain, a evil alien brain inside of a clockwork robot,

The only reason it is not getting that 10/10 is because the pvp is absolute dog water. 

Honestly I think most vets are of the same opinion. Back when CoV and the pvp zones first launched I really liked PvP but I believe a lot of it had to do with the times and not having good comparisons, for example CoH was my first MMO so thats the only pvp I knew then. Once I took a break and played other games with pvp I quickly realized those games especially the pvp centric ones just do pvp a whole lot better when its the focus and not a add-on or gimmick.

IDK how DCUO is viewed around here, probably poorly but they absolutely did PVP better. GW2 and WoW also do PvP much better than CoH/V.... its just always been that way because Coh/v never had a proper PvP Dev team and the pvp population never really warranted unfortunately.

CoH is a pve, player fantasy, driven mmorpg. Biggest selling point is character customization, super heroes...pvp isnt its strong suite, def one of the weakest parts. Although some of my favorite memories and most fun was pvping in Sirens Call especially prior to issue 13. 

Edited by Disruptor
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Crimson Gas said:

Besides that if you like pvp keep playing it, but me im just going to stay pve permanently 

I've played since Beta and this is my view.   Though I have never been that good at PvP.  Heck, I usually got wiped in streetfighter. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Crimson Gas said:

People can 1 shot you because you don't have something called pvp build?

Powers work a bit differently in PvP than they do in PvE.  I'm not big into PvP, either, but you do have access to 3 separate builds, so if it's really something you want to get into, consider devoting 1 of them for that purpose...

2 hours ago, biostem said:

Powers work a bit differently in PvP than they do in PvE.  I'm not big into PvP, either, but you do have access to 3 separate builds, so if it's really something you want to get into, consider devoting 1 of them for that purpose...

Indeed indeed

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CR Americas Angel said:

There was some talk last year about giving players the options to pick from a selection of "premade" characters for PvP, that would essentially be ready to play straight out of the character creator, with custom powers set to replicate the usual PvP roles.

Even if that was implemented, unless there were instances where those were all you could play, there'd still be a huge disparity between fully IO'd-out builds and more casual PvP-ers.  Maybe there could be some sort of "Enhanements-off" instance where people could pit build against build, thereby ignoring IOs and set bonuses altogether, (though even then, some sets have access the powers that IOs attempt to compensate for).

On 1/9/2023 at 10:13 PM, Crimson Gas said:

I used to have issues with being a healer and the pve used to be really hard. After I hit lvl 50 i wanted to try pvp so i did and i hated it. No offence here but if your a healer role this is unplayable. People can 1 shot you because you don't have something called pvp build? Why do you need a build just to play it?

You definitely don't want to be a "healer" in PVP. At least, I'm assuming by "healer" you mean an empathy defender.

"Healers" are always going to be targeted first in PVP. Your only hope would be to run with a tanker that can successfully taunt the enemy - but, unlike in PVE, there is a hit check for the taunt to work in PVP.

And, as others have pointed out, the rules are different in PVP than they are in PVE.

The only solution is to start over. Issue with that you cant transfer everything and it isn't worth deleting a character just to play the pvp.

you have 1000 slots per server. You don't need to delete a charcter.

Also, you can now make Temporal Warriors that start at level 50 and are for PVP only.

Not only is it not worth restarting it is also unfair for villains. The villain population isnt big as the heroes so even if i had a really good pvp build i would get jumped by 8 different people with no help. When i got bested by another player i felt like this game is is $hit.

Yeah, PvP is no fun for villains for sure.

Your best bet as a villain is to be a stalker. Run in, assassin strike, and then go hide until you are ready to assassin strike again ...and that doesn't always work.

After all this fun you come to here just to get 1 shotted by a dude with more health and a better build than you.

You actually can't be "1 shotted". Any first attack can only take you down to 1 HP. It's the second shot that takes you out.

This really is more to prevent dying when jumping off of tall buildings without a parachute (and, no, you can't buy a parachute at the P2W, but you can buy flight powers.)

In my op theirs no skill in it. Its who ever has a better role than you and even if you do your not beating 4 tanks, a stalker plus a blaster. You will end up rage quitting.

Some roles are better than others in PVP. Mainly, it seems to be tanks and brutes. You can try to snipe at long range as a blaster, but I think there is movement suppression after attacking in PVP.

If you are fighting solo against a team, you will always lose.

There are 3 levels of PVP zone. I think Bloody Bay is the one that will allow you to do missions to buff your side and debuff the enemies.

Even if i did restart i already played through the story. I know you can hit 50 in a day but it isn't worth all that just to play 1 mode.

I agree - see above about the Temporal Warriors.

The pvp in my op is unbalanced and broken if you dont have a role your not going to be winning anything and even if you do your still going to lose.

You are correct.

City of Heroes rules were not meant for PVP. 

They have tried balancing PVP since it was first released.

I haven't played PVP since before the Sunset, but it was pretty broken the last time I played. 

The only time that it can be decently fun (playing in a PVP zone versus PVP enemies) is if there are like sized forces on each side.

Of course, if you are a Hero, there is plenty of stuff you can do in PVP zones that are PVE. (Null the Gull in the Pocket D can change your alignment at any time)

I remember this one time they upped the ability of controllers in PvP for about a week or two. Tankers were so upset.

I was playing an Ice Controller slowing them down so much they couldn't get to me and slowly, slowly freezing the life out of them. 

Can you imagine being a hulk-smash player and you can't get anywhere near your opponent, you are moving super slow, and you are very slowly being drained of your hp?

Oh, you know they were hating it so much.

And, then, that was that. You couldn't do that to the poor tankers any more... I mean why should a controller successfully be able to use their powers to stop them from using theirs to crumple up a squishy in a couple of hits?

The only reason it is not getting that 10/10 is because the pvp is absolute dog water. Now i know people will disagree yeah because you been on this game since day one while i have only been here since 2020 of the 8th. I'm jut talking about my experience.

Your experience is the same that many of us feel for PVP.

You are not wrong from your entry experience to PVP.

Why i have to complain . Its because as a healer i felt humiliated getting jumped by 4 different heroes while i could do nothing. Like come on bro seriously?

Face it. In any PVP situation if you get jumped by 4 enemies you are going to be in trouble.

Np archetype is going to beat 4 on 1 odds even if they are a tank and the enemies are working together as a co-ordinated team ...and, in most PVP situations, if you run into 4 enemy players, they are bound to be working together and there is a good chance they are in a discord channel with one another.

Maybe add 2 different pvp severs one normal and the other balanced so more players can play without having to worry about not being as strong as you.

I think that the only thing to do to balance PVP is to give players a list of balanced pre-made characters to choose from to name, costume, and power customize.

I don't see this happening.

They aren't to make different PVP servers. There are 5 servers and they all have the same build on them; that isn't likely to change.

Then there is always the issue of there being more of one side than the other in the PVP zone. I don't think that is going to change either.

Idk that's just my op. Besides that if you like pvp keep playing it, but me im just going to stay pve permanently

There is nothing wrong to just play PVE. THE CITY was meant to be played PVE and not PVP.

Don't worry about PVP.

You explored it. See you don't like it. Decided that you don't want to experience it again. And have let everyone know your feelings about PVP.

On Homecoming, I rarely take a character into PVP and, when I have done so, I've never seen an enemy, but I've alway taken in a hero.

I have plenty of fun playing and teaming fighting PVE. And that's fine with me.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, CR Americas Angel said:

Unlike PvE, PvP in this game is pretty unforgiving. If you're new/inexperienced, you're going to get your butt kicked by the folks who've been doing it a while/have better built characters/are more used to playing the game than you. I know I lost a lot when I first started PvPing. It's all part of the learning process.

You can make free instant level 50s for PvP now (including free incarnates + accolades), so it's not a huge slog making a character for PvP. You'll still need to buy IOs, though. Same as you would for a high-end PvE build.

There was some talk last year about giving players the options to pick from a selection of "premade" characters for PvP, that would essentially be ready to play straight out of the character creator, with custom powers set to replicate the usual PvP roles. (Offense, Healer, Targeter for 8v8. DPS and Defense-based melee characters for fightclub. That sort of thing.)  But discussion on that's been put on hold while the dev team have a much deserved break.

I would love that idea

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You definitely don't want to be a "healer" in PVP. At least, I'm assuming by "healer" you mean an empathy defender.

"Healers" are always going to be targeted first in PVP. Your only hope would be to run with a tanker that can successfully taunt the enemy - but, unlike in PVE, there is a hit check for the taunt to work in PVP.

And, as others have pointed out, the rules are different in PVP than they are in PVE.

Also, you can now make Temporal Warriors that start at level 50 and are for PVP only.

Yeah, PvP is no fun for villains for sure.

Your best bet as a villain is to be a stalker. Run in, assassin strike, and then go hide until you are ready to assassin strike again ...and that doesn't always work.

You actually can't be "1 shotted". Any first attack can only take you down to 1 HP. It's the second shot that takes you out.

This really is more to prevent dying when jumping off of tall buildings without a parachute (and, no, you can't buy a parachute at the P2W, but you can buy flight powers.)

Some roles are better than others in PVP. Mainly, it seems to be tanks and brutes. You can try to snipe at long range as a blaster, but I think there is movement suppression after attacking in PVP.

If you are fighting solo against a team, you will always lose.

There are 3 levels of PVP zone. I think Bloody Bay is the one that will allow you to do missions to buff your side and debuff the enemies.

I agree - see above about the Temporal Warriors.

You are correct.

City of Heroes rules were not meant for PVP. 

They have tried balancing PVP since it was first released.

I haven't played PVP since before the Sunset, but it was pretty broken the last time I played. 

The only time that it can be decently fun (playing in a PVP zone versus PVP enemies) is if there are like sized forces on each side.

Of course, if you are a Hero, there is plenty of stuff you can do in PVP zones that are PVE. (Null the Gull in the Pocket D can change your alignment at any time)

I remember this one time they upped the ability of controllers in PvP for about a week or two. Tankers were so upset.

I was playing an Ice Controller slowing them down so much they couldn't get to me and slowly, slowly freezing the life out of them. 

Can you imagine being a hulk-smash player and you can't get anywhere near your opponent, you are moving super slow, and you are very slowly being drained of your hp?

Oh, you know they were hating it so much.

And, then, that was that. You couldn't do that to the poor tankers any more... I mean why should a controller successfully be able to use their powers to stop them from using theirs to crumple up a squishy in a couple of hits?

Your experience is the same that many of us feel for PVP.

You are not wrong from your entry experience to PVP.

Face it. In any PVP situation if you get jumped by 4 enemies you are going to be in trouble.

Np archetype is going to beat 4 on 1 odds even if they are a tank and the enemies are working together as a co-ordinated team ...and, in most PVP situations, if you run into 4 enemy players, they are bound to be working together and there is a good chance they are in a discord channel with one another.

I think that the only thing to do to balance PVP is to give players a list of balanced pre-made characters to choose from to name, costume, and power customize.

I don't see this happening.

They aren't to make different PVP servers. There are 5 servers and they all have the same build on them; that isn't likely to change.

Then there is always the issue of there being more of one side than the other in the PVP zone. I don't think that is going to change either.

There is nothing wrong to just play PVE. THE CITY was meant to be played PVE and not PVP.

Don't worry about PVP.

You explored it. See you don't like it. Decided that you don't want to experience it again. And have let everyone know your feelings about PVP.

On Homecoming, I rarely take a character into PVP and, when I have done so, I've never seen an enemy, but I've alway taken in a hero.

I have plenty of fun playing and teaming fighting PVE. And that's fine with me.

No I don't have to delete anything I have a pvp character ready, I just need to finish getting my badges on my main

2 hours ago, Crimson Gas said:

No I don't have to delete anything I have a pvp character ready, I just need to finish getting my badges on my main

Er...okay.

The only solution is to start over. Issue with that you cant transfer everything and it isn't worth deleting a character just to play the pvp.

Just responding to what you said - Posted Monday at 10:13 PM

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.