Base Building in Linux: 360 Rotation

Trauma Junky

I built my base initially while I was running Windows 7.  I have since switched over to Linux Mint. Getting CoH Homecoming to run in Linux was actually so much easier than I thought it would be.  The only thing I've found that no longer works correclty (or at all) is base building 360 degree rotation. In Windows, I could park a chair near a table and using Shift+CTRL, or Shift+ALT I could rotate the chair so it was at an angle in reference to the table, rather than having it sit perfectly lined up with the table.

In linux I cannot rotate objects in this way.

Anyone okut there got a fix for this?

Thank you in advance, NeoSporinMD 🙂

Edited by Trauma Junky
To complete a sentence I apparently fell asleep while typing.

• Community Rep

This was one reason I stopped working in LInux, I was having difficulty with editing. Not always, but enough! And then, I can't use my video editing program in Linux. so...now I pretty much stay in Windows. 😞

I'm sorry, -I- don't have an answer, maybe someone who knows Linux really well could help.

-Dacy

@DoctorDitko any idea about this Linux stuff?

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, lemming said:

Playing around and if I understood: Pressing the Alt key plus the left mouse, I could rotate an object.

rotate.png

This is exactly what I want to do, but in Linux Mint 21.1 this does not work. It does absolutely nothing.
This issue is the only thing I've encountered, so far, that does not work in Linux. The rest of the game runs excellently. 

6 hours ago, Trauma Junky said:

This is exactly what I want to do, but in Linux Mint 21.1 this does not work. It does absolutely nothing.
This issue is the only thing I've encountered, so far, that does not work in Linux. The rest of the game runs excellently. 

Odd.  I'm using Linux Pop-OS 22.04 which should be functionally the same.  I'm no longer using Lutris, but launching via a shell script

:
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Games/Homecoming/bin/win64/launcher.exe > ~/down/hclaunch.log 2> ~/down/hclaunch.err &

But I don't think that should matter.  I'm guessing there's something in Mint that is wanting to use the Alt-LMouse for something else first?

8 hours ago, lemming said:

Odd.  I'm using Linux Pop-OS 22.04 which should be functionally the same.  I'm no longer using Lutris, but launching via a shell script

:
PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Games/Homecoming/bin/win64/launcher.exe > ~/down/hclaunch.log 2> ~/down/hclaunch.err &

But I don't think that should matter.  I'm guessing there's something in Mint that is wanting to use the Alt-LMouse for something else first?

I've found the issue to be present regardless of wheather I'm running Homecoming in WINE, Bottles, PlayOnLinux, or Crossover. So, I'm inclined to think it's an issue specific to Mint. 

Thank you for your efforts, by the way. I do appreciate it. 🙂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trauma Junky said:

I've found the issue to be present regardless of wheather I'm running Homecoming in WINE, Bottles, PlayOnLinux, or Crossover. So, I'm inclined to think it's an issue specific to Mint. 

Thank you for your efforts, by the way. I do appreciate it. 🙂

Just glanced around to see if anyone else is having mouse issues with steam & Mint, and there are some here and there.  For example, this person had events showing up with button 8.   Makes me think that disabling non-existant button actions may work in your case.

https://superuser.com/questions/1552948/the-left-mouse-button-has-stopped-working-properly

On 1/20/2023 at 12:56 PM, lemming said:

Just glanced around to see if anyone else is having mouse issues with steam & Mint, and there are some here and there.  For example, this person had events showing up with button 8.   Makes me think that disabling non-existant button actions may work in your case.

https://superuser.com/questions/1552948/the-left-mouse-button-has-stopped-working-properly

Thank you, lemming, I'll look into it when I have a chance.

• Like 1

• 2 months later
1 hour ago, Solvernia said:

If base building works in Windows but not Linux, the solution then is to use Windows if you want to base build.

Or figure out the reason if it's not actually Linux.   Don't know if TJ figured out his issue, but it did sound like a setting in his windows manager, not just an issue with their OS choice.    Woo, just noticed I've been using various Linux distros for over 30 years now. 😉

"Doctor Doctor, my arm hurts when I lift it like this!"

"Don't lift your arm"

"I'm cured!"