Imagine a Mind Control MM Set

Gentoo

I wanted this so bad when the devs were still making stuff. I wonder if it could be slapped together with existing powers.

The idea is to have the MM not summon pets, but instead use the pet summon buttons to mind control enemies into becoming pets. So your tier 1 lets you take over a minon as a pet, your tier 2 a Lt and your tier 3 a boss. Then you can direct them, buff them, etc, just like they were a pet. Or if that's too OP, then have the tier 3 take over a Lt,  the tier take over minions,and the tier 1 actually have some kind of weak pet summon.

It would mean you could constantly be changing your MM strategies and build on the fly. You could have your very own Malta Sapper, or Tsoo Sorc, fully under your direction and pulling off strategy.

The closest you can come to this now is by being a good mind controller and using confuse and defence debuffing, but there is a lot you can't do that way. Imagine fulcrum shifting a Freak Tank Boss or something like that. Balance may be difficult, but should be possible.

The mastermind's own attack powers could be taken from the mental assault sets (ie, mental blast).

psi damage is heavily resisted end game and those mobs that resist it, resist a LOT of it.

Doesn't matter. Not like you're going to take the MM primary attacks anyway.

yeah. but...I don't see this happening unless the created pets pull from and only use a specific set of abilities. being able to have a couple of sapper minions or zeus titan bosses would be a bit gamebreaking.

This is very Specters of Path of Exile who do exactly what is being mentioned here. It has a host of small problems, like needing to go to a specific mission or place to 'capture' the minions, and be forced to return there if one of them dies. Over the years PoE smoothed this process, but yes, Specters were always pretty powerful due to the ability of picking and choosing the best mobs to use as a posse.

I don’t think this would work...and it would be very hard to balance.  However, I could see a Mental Projection powerset that has pets similar to what Illusion gets, with a level 18 power that is some form of confuse power that takes over a target.

Perhaps if a lot of work was put into the set, you could have projections for the lower level pets, and have the level 26 power actually do what you suggest, taking over an existing minion or lieutenant (boss or higher would be too tough).  It’s a strong option...but would replace your top tier pet and require someone to take over.