Completing Every Single Contact Blueside

Waljoricar

Hi all,

I'm a returning CoX player and am just thrilled to be playing the game again. I've been browsing the forums for a while now trying to decide what I want to get out of playing CoX again in 2023 (aside from the unbridled joy of just being here).

I've been using @Gulbasaur's flawless Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs and it's been a great way to refamiliarise myself with the game and all it has to offer (thank you, @Gulbasaur!)

Here's the thing though; I finally get to Faultline and complete Jim Temblor's story arc. I'm am very excited to do Penelope Yin's story arc next. Jim wants to introduce me to a new contact - okay, cool. I am ready for Penelope. But wait! Jim wants to introduce me to some rando old-school contact in Skyway City first, Karen Parker. I have to accept her as a contact. I have no choice. Now I'm stuck with a contact who is going to give me umpteen missions before introducing me to another contact who will do the same.

I can't not complete her missions; that's just not how my brain works. I need her progress bar full and I want to move her into the "Inactive" contact category. That means taking on the contact she wants to introduce me to, and the same wil apply, without cessation, from here on out.

This whole situation was making my brain itch, so I've decided to just make a new character and try and do every single Blueside contact on one alt. Likely using a Controller. I may even implement Iron Man challenge rules as I do so.

I'm aware @Snarky has attempted (completed?) such a feat before (sans Iron Man rules) but, after searching the forums for a guide on how to approach experiencing ALL of the Blueside content on one character, I'm still quite lost on how best to stretegise such a task.

I've got the pause XP macro ready to go, but I know that my contact list will just branch out like a mycelium network very quickly. Starting with 6 contacts from the get go is already daunting.

SO, my questons are - Is this even possible? what tips do other players have for completing every contact on Blueside without using Ouroborus (unless absolutely necessary)? What tools are out there to help me keep track of my leveling and when to pause my XP? Is it ridiculous to try it with a Controller?

My apologies for the lengthy post. I hope it makes sense! Any and all feedback/opinions are very much appreciated.

Edited by Steyrharquebus
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

Hi all,

I'm a returning CoX player and am just thrilled to be playing the game again. I've been browsing the forums for a while now trying to decide what I want to get out of playing CoX again in 2023 (aside from the unbridled joy of just being here).

I've been using @Gulbasaur's flawless Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs and it's been a great way to refamiliarise myself with the game and all it has to offer (thank you, @Gulbasaur!)

Here's the thing though; I finally get to Faultline and complete Jim Temblor's story arc. I'm am very excited to do Penelope Yin's story arc next. Jim wants to introduce me to a new contact - okay, cool. I am ready for Penelope. But wait! Jim wants to introduce me to some rando old-school contact in Skyway City first, Karen Parker. I have to accept her as a contact. I have no choice. Now I'm stuck with a contact who is going to give me umpteen missions before introducing me to another contact who will do the same.

I can't not complete her missions; that's just not how my brain works. I need her progress bar full and I want to move her into the "Inactive" contact category. That means taking on the contact she wants to introduce me to, and the same wil apply, without cessation, from here on out.

This whole situation was making my brain itch, so I've decided to just make a new character and try and do every single Blueside contact on one alt. Likely using a Controller. I may even implement Iron Man challenge rules as I do so.

I'm aware @Snarky has attempted (comlpeted?) such a feat before (sans Iron Man rules) but, after searching the forums for a guide on how to approach experiencing ALL of the Blueside content on one character, I'm still quite lost on how best to stretegise such a task.

I've got the pause XP macro ready to go, but I know that my contact list will just branch out likr a mycelium network very quickly. Starting with 6 contacts from the get go is already daunting.

SO, my questons are - Is this even possible? what tips do other players have for completing every contact on Blueside without using Ouroborus (unless absolutely necessary)? What tools are out there to help me keep track of my leveling and when to pause my XP? Is it ridiculous to try it with a Controller?

My apologies for the lengthy post. I hope it makes sense! Any and all feedback/opinions are very much appreciated.

You will need to use HC wiki.  There are a roulette wheel if contacts that are duplicative.  They offer the exact same content but are randomly assigned to each toon.   Only blue does this.  

i will post my spreadsheet of contacts later today.  I am sick in my coffin and not moving much.  Never feed on vegans

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

You will need to use HC wiki.  There are a roulette wheel if contacts that are duplicative.  They offer the exact same content but are randomly assigned to each toon.   Only blue does this.  

i will post my spreadsheet of contacts later today.  I am sick in my coffin and not moving much.  Never feed on vegans

That would be swell, thank you!

With regards to your general approach, do you tend to make a list of every contact within a certain level band, complete one and then turn off XP t complete the rest? That seems like the only surefire way to not outlevel someone. I suppose I'd then need to factor in contacts like Matthew Habashy/Twinshot/etc as well...

28 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

That would be swell, thank you!

With regards to your general approach, do you tend to make a list of every contact within a certain level band, complete one and then turn off XP t complete the rest? That seems like the only surefire way to not outlevel someone. I suppose I'd then need to factor in contacts like Matthew Habashy/Twinshot/etc as well...

Yeah.  Thats the general idea.   Most of the time exp is turned off every  5 levels, 9, 14, 19, 24 etc.    but in the lower ranges there are contacts that outlevel weird.  7, 8 etc.  When the contact has more than one level range you need to track that as well.  My spreadsheet has every contact blue and red and the level ranges.  Separate sheets blue red.  With Blue you do need to find which randomly rolled contact you got and compare that to the other 4? Contacts.  Delete those or mark them completed.  That is not for all blue content, just some of the storylines.  But it goes on quite a few level ranges.

Once you get later in the game Blueside you will start getting kill 20x in Peregrine.  This will suck hard.  There are a lot of them.  Generally the mobs are only on certain areas and there are damn few.  So you kill everyone in the area and get away so that they respawn.  Hopefully as the group you need.  Tedious 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm doing this myself on a two newly-created Stalkers, one blue and one red. I'll probably do a gold at some point too (have to figure out if it's possible to do all on one character, not entirely sure). I find Stalkers work really well because I can easily stealth missions that aren't kill alls, just to move things along faster. Also good for being able to run thru zone areas with higher level critters without getting ganked. Definitely have to keep toggling XP on and off to ensure you don't outlevel contacts. And yeah, you gotta use the forum to see who all the available contacts are to ensure you don't miss anyone. It really blows my mind how much content this game has. I do have to say I miss the Galaxy City arcs, kinda annoyed they're gone. Lots of great memories starting out there.

@Snarky I wouldn't mind seeing that spreadsheet.

Edited by Captain Fabulous

18 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I'm doing this myself on a two newly-created Stalkers, one blue and one red. I'll probably do a gold at some point too (have to figure out if it's possible to do all on one character, not entirely sure). I find Stalkers work really well because I can easily stealth missions that aren't kill alls, just to move things along faster. Also good for being able to run thru zone areas with higher level critters without getting ganked. Definitely have to keep toggling XP on and off to ensure you don't outlevel contacts. And yeah, you gotta use the forum to see who all the available contacts are to ensure you don't miss anyone. It really blows my mind how much content this game has. I do have to say I miss the Galaxy City arcs, kinda annoyed they're gone. Lots of great memories starting out there.

@Snarky I wouldn't mind seeing that spreadsheet.

It is possible to do all three.  All of Gold is available through Ouro.  In fact you have to do all Gold for certain badges.  

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, Snarky said:

It is possible to do all three.  All of Gold is available through Ouro.  In fact you have to do all Gold for certain badges.  

The goal is to not have to go back and do anything I missed via Oro. I want to go thru all the missions while I'm in the correct level range and read/understand all the lore that after 20 years I still don't fully know. It dawned on me the other day I already f*cked up on the blue side. I forgot to do all the starter contacts inside City Hall. But I've already put something like 15 hours into it and I'm not starting again LOL. Currently doing missions in KR, Steel, and Hollows, I think I'm level 10. So I probably missed some contacts in KR which are given by the Atlas contacts, which I will try to get before fully moving to Steel, even if it means having to do bank missions to get the contacts from the Detective. So far the most difficult part is being sent to street sweep in a particular area where they are all 3+ levels higher than I am. That's when I fire up an alt account and call for high-level backup LOL. Or ask someone much higher to sidekick me for a few mins.

Edited by Captain Fabulous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Fabulous said:

The goal is to not have to go back and do anything I missed via Oro. I want to go thru all the missions while I'm in the correct level range and read/understand all the lore that after 20 years I still don't fully know. It dawned on me the other day I already f*cked up on the blue side. I forgot to do all the starter contacts inside City Hall. But I've already put something like 15 hours into it and I'm not starting again LOL. Currently doing missions in KR, Steel, and Hollows, I think I'm level 10. So I probably missed some contacts in KR which are given by the Atlas contacts, which I will try to get before fully moving to Steel, even if it means having to do bank missions to get the contacts from the Detective. So far the most difficult part is being sent to street sweep in a particular area where they are all 3+ levels higher than I am. That's when I fire up an alt account and call for high-level backup LOL. Or ask someone much higher than me for a sidekicking and a few mins of their time.

you can ONLY do all content ONE way.  If you go Gold you can only do Gold to 20.  missing all 1-19 content red/blue.  and that is not all available in ouro.  and you wont have them as completed contacts in your character.  all Gold is available through Ouro, and you can stop exp and side switch to get all red blue.  then do gold as ouro opens up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

you can ONLY do all content ONE way.  If you go Gold you can only do Gold to 20.  missing all 1-19 content red/blue.  and that is not all available in ouro.  and you wont have them as completed contacts in your character.  all Gold is available through Ouro, and you can stop exp and side switch to get all red blue.  then do gold as ouro opens up.

Right, which is why I'm doing it with one character each for blue, red, and gold. I'm not trying to do all 3 factions on one character. That way madness lies! The goal for me is to do every mission while in range and read all the text. It doesn't all have to be on one character. You already can't do both training missions red/blue, so that will have to be done via Oro. No way around it that I know of.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Right, which is why I'm doing it with one character each for blue, red, and gold. I'm not trying to do all 3 factions on one character. That way madness lies! The goal for me is to do every mission while in range and read all the text. It doesn't all have to be on one character. You already can't do both training missions red/blue, so that will have to be done via Oro. No way around it that I know of.

Ah, again I am sick now.   Unlike normal when  I misunderstand for no good reason

Yes, it was madness. 4-5 months hard grinding

There is one contact i have listed redside who is a midnighter and has mult level ranges.  But really its diff red blue so be careful there.  The wiki shows Blavk Scorion having missions at only 40-44 and in my spreadsheet as such.  That is incorrect.  He is just like other patrons

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

I'm effectively doing a "try as much content without out-leveling" blue-side run right now. It is a lot more fun then I expected. Some of what I've done:

I'm using P2W, especially for travel/reveal powers, but also for temporary attacks and amplifier buffs (arguably not needed, but they are cheap at low levels). If you are a controller, you should grab the (AoE) attacks.

I purposely skipped The Hollows, mostly because I've done it enough that I am bored, but also to have an Ouroboros flashback to use once I burned all the other contacts and still need to level.

At level 10, I slotted a few important enhancements, but I didn't really slot sets until level 22. I have done one respec to shift some mule powers I initially took early until later, once I had a few more slots.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

Here is the sheet that I used.  No warranty.  Check your contacts and wiki before unlocking exp and heading to the next level range.  But I think it is 99-100% correct.  Since it was my base and not my "working" model any notes I made as I levelled are lost.

contacts CoH CoV.xlsx 26.62 kB · 5 downloads

Thank you so much for this, I'm very grateful. I'm suddely feeling very excited about the prospect of this huge undertaking.

46 minutes ago, tidge said:

I'm effectively doing a "try as much content without out-leveling" blue-side run right now. It is a lot more fun then I expected. Some of what I've done:

I'm using P2W, especially for travel/reveal powers, but also for temporary attacks and amplifier buffs (arguably not needed, but they are cheap at low levels). If you are a controller, you should grab the (AoE) attacks.

I purposely skipped The Hollows, mostly because I've done it enough that I am bored, but also to have an Ouroboros flashback to use once I burned all the other contacts and still need to level.

At level 10, I slotted a few important enhancements, but I didn't really slot sets until level 22. I have done one respec to shift some mule powers I initially took early until later, once I had a few more slots.

These are some really helpful tips! I'm planning on avoiding the P2W vendor, however. We'll see how that goes...

• Haha 1

At least get the P2W travel powers, QoL thing. And the freebie proccing enhancements are very nice at lower levels.

But go hardcore if you like!

And, Welcome Home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

These are some really helpful tips! I'm planning on avoiding the P2W vendor, however. We'll see how that goes...

It's good to at least get the prestige enhancements, the 5000 INF flight pack, Athletic or Ninja Run, and the three temp powers -  Sands of Mu, Nemesis Staff, and Blackwand. Just make sure you get the bonus one based on your origin. The 3 temp buffs are really cheap at level 1 but the price ramps up really fast as you level. Each stack is an hour and you can have up to 8 stacks each. The mission teleporters are nice to have if you have the INF. And you definitely want to unlock the fast travel thingy and set up a Cosmic Transport base teleporter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Fabulous said:

It's good to at least get the prestige enhancements, the 5000 INF flight pack, Athletic or Ninja Run, and the three temp powers -  Sands of Mu, Nemesis Staff, and Blackwand. Just make sure you get the bonus one based on your origin. The 3 temp buffs are really cheap at level 1 but the price ramps up really fast as you level. Each stack is an hour and you can have up to 8 stacks each. The mission teleporters are nice to have if you have the INF. And you definitely want to unlock the fast travel thingy and set up a Cosmic Transport base teleporter.

Also DFB and DiB buffs are a must 

• 3 weeks later

Apologies for the thread necro, but Ive encountered a confusing turn of events in my endeavour and would very much appreciate some guidence from @Snarky and anyone else that can help!

[Edit: this is in relation to completing every contact Blueside on a single character]

Okay, so, I've been paused at level 8 for about a week now. Contacts-wise, I've completed Paco Sanchez, Tony Kord, Ron Hughes, Samuel Pierce and Vic Johansson from the 5-9 level range. I had no more contacts, save Shauna Stockwell (who is 7-20). I allow myself to level up (to level 9) so that my Contacts can start introducing me to new people but, despite having 10+ Contacts within the 5-9 level range I've yet to even speak with, they begin introducing me to contacts in the 9-14 level range that are mostly based in Steel Canyon/Skyway City.

As it stands, Genevieve Sanders, Henry Peter Wong, Juana Jimenez, Kip Cantorum, Laurence Mansfield, Maurice Feldon, Linda Summers, Paula Dempsey and Rachel Torres haven't been introuced to me in any capacity, despite them all being within the 5-9 level range. Even when I physically approach them, they tell me to speak with a Wes Schnabel in Steel Canyon, despite my only being level 9.

Is there a reason for this? Did I do something wrong?

@Perfect Square kindly offered the following theory via Discord,

Now that I'm looking at the specific missions on the wiki, there is so much overlap amongst all those contacts. I wonder if you've done all the missions such that the ones you haven't been introduced to don't have any left to give you (and thus, don't appear)? In old days, you were locked into your origin contacts so I wonder if they just created duplicate contacts across origins and ran the same missions...

Is this correct?

Edited by Steyrharquebus

2 minutes ago, Steyrharquebus said:

As it stands, Genevieve Sanders, Henry Peter Wong, Juana Jimenez, Kip Cantorum, Laurence Mansfield, Maurice Feldon, Linda Summers, Paula Dempsey and Rachel Torres haven't been introuced to me in any capacity, despite them all being within the 5-9 level range. Even when I physically approach them, they tell me to speak with a Wes Schnabel in Steel Canyon, despite my only being level 9.

I don't think you did anything wrong; there are some contacts that will offer all the same missions as other contacts. In my recent run through this exact exercise, I got the "Rescue the Fortune Teller" from a completely different contact than the one you get if Ouroboros is used.

Before leveling up, do a Safeguard mission as well. If you collect the exploration badges at every 5 levels it will save you some effort later. At low levels you only have to do 3 radio missions to get a Safeguard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tidge said:

I don't think you did anything wrong; there are some contacts that will offer all the same missions as other contacts. In my recent run through this exact exercise, I got the "Rescue the Fortune Teller" from a completely different contact than the one you get if Ouroboros is used.

Before leveling up, do a Safeguard mission as well. If you collect the exploration badges at every 5 levels it will save you some effort later. At low levels you only have to do 3 radio missions to get a Safeguard.

So this is in line with what Perfect Square positied as well.

I mean, on one hand, if this is correct, that reduces the number of Contacts I have to run through significantly. I was planning on being at level 9 for at least another 1.5 weeks. On the other hand, it's very frustrating not knowing for sure if I can now tick off all level 5-9 content as fully done and move on to the new Contacts I've been assigned.

I'm just waiting for the rug to pulled from under me and discover that I've locked myself out of a whole bunch of Contacts...

Edited by Steyrharquebus

I skipped the Hollows on my "every Blueside" contact; I think you need to start that before level 10.

IIRC, I did not get offered Aaron Thiery as a contact (or I was given a choice but choose an alternate) so I did his arc through Ouroboros.

You will know if you have all the "old school contacts" (for your level) if you complete a Safeguard mission and the police contact doesn't introduce you to anyone new. There are newer contacts that you simply walk up to to begin their arcs.

3 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

I'm just waiting for the rug to pulled from under me and discover that I've locked myself out of a whole bunch of Contacts...

You will have at most five contacts for every level range in Paragon City. So, once you have all five, you won't miss the old contents.

(EDIT: most the time. The game assigned me two contacts with similar missions once. I missed the Vahzilok Pollutant Plot, thanks to this. )

The newer contents are the problem. Contacts from the earliest issue don't always introduce you to them. To get around this problem, I use the "Find Contact" button.

OFREyiy.jpg

6h65ZLS.jpgLEHQqvw.jpg

What I do:

1. Turn off XP gain.
  2. Teleport and speak to anyone labeled "You do not know this contact." I have to know every contact on that list.
  3. Complete all missions offered.
  4. Turn on XP gain.
  5. Power level to the next level range. If you want to be sure, check the Contact Finder every time you level up.
  6. Repeat

3 hours ago, tidge said:

You will know if you have all the "old school contacts" (for your level) if you complete a Safeguard mission and the police contact doesn't introduce you to anyone new. There are newer contacts that you simply walk up to to begin their arcs.

I am not sure about this. I think this only works in Rogue Isles. All contacts in Paragon City are accessible via Contact Finder. However, I always speak to all contacts in the city hall when I roll a new toon. So, I always have those five people, even at the very beginning. I'll check it out. 

Edited by huang3721
additional info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

Apologies for the thread necro, but Ive encountered a confusing turn of events in my endeavour and would very much appreciate some guidence from @Snarky and anyone else that can help!

[Edit: this is in relation to completing every contact Blueside on a single character]

Okay, so, I've been paused at level 8 for about a week now. Contacts-wise, I've completed Paco Sanchez, Tony Kord, Ron Hughes, Samuel Pierce and Vic Johansson from the 5-9 level range. I had no more contacts, save Shauna Stockwell (who is 7-20). I allow myself to level up (to level 9) so that my Contacts can start introducing me to new people but, despite having 10+ Contacts within the 5-9 level range I've yet to even speak with, they begin introducing me to contacts in the 9-14 level range that are mostly based in Steel Canyon/Skyway City.

@Perfect Square kindly offered the following theory via Discord,

Is this correct?

There is good advice all through this thread.  Were you able to open my spreadsheet?  Do you have the Homecoming Wiki?  

It is important to look at the wiki contacts and get a handle on the "random" contacts in each level range.  There are a limited number of arcs but random people give you the arc.  Get this info in your head! Here is an example of what i mean. Click on each of the contacts in the table and note the story arcs they give you.  

Category:Hero Contacts Level 20-24 - Unofficial Homecoming Wiki

Edited by Snarky