Minimum FX option for all armor powers please

Rigged

Homecoming Devs, please consider a Minimum FX option for all armor powers. The VFX is very nice and cool, but the problem is that it turns a character into a ridiculous lightshow.

• This is fine if this is in the character concept, but not every Rad Armor guy, for instance, might like the idea of their radiation visibly leaking out of their body when they just wanted the bonus from Alpha Barrier. Please let me protect myself without giving all my friends cancer.
  • Look in the comics. The entire Justice League, except for Firestorm, does not have auras. And even then, Firestorm has one aura, his flaming head. He doesn't have three different flaming auras from Fire Shield, Plasma Shield and Burning Aura.
  • Similarly, ice armor, while there is already a minimum FX option, still shows little ice crystals. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but I might not want that effect if my character idea is a person with a sheet of ice skin like Iceman. Iceman does not have protruding ice crystals. Please let us express our powers through our costumes rather than our power auras.
  • This is especially grating on the epic power pool armors, for which the selection is highly limited. Some powersets have no equivalent epic armor, and we're forced to use one of the options available. Please let me turn off my Dominator's Frozen Armor graphic. Please also add a version of Scorpion Shield without the vibration effect. I know it's called the Minimum FX version, but that's still a lot of FX.
  • Ideally, this would also apply to damage auras (barring the ring effect showing the power radius), but I could understand if there is some reason the devs would insist on a visible representation of a damage power.
  • Of course, I am not advocating the removal of the option to display the legacy auras. If people want to look like a Christmas tree that should be their prerogative. But I would like the option of turning them off in the power customization screen for my character.
  • Additionally, I don't believe that this would require significant onerous graphic work, because the exact same "No FX" option can be copy/pasted onto a whole bunch of different powers.

Homecoming devs, please consider my suggestion. I love making costumes, and I would very much like not to have them obscured by power auras.

Edited by Rigged
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Everlasting, even though I do not RP, as:

Doctor Hadius, Crab Spider (Main) ~ Aeronwen, Rad/Super Strength/Mu Tanker ~ Mortality Black, Time/Dual Pistols/Soul Defender ~ Vextravaganza, Illusion/Dark/Psi Controller ~ Baneframe, Robots/Time/Mace Mastermind ~ Zippy-Zap, Electric Armor/Dark Melee/Soul Tanker ~ Laser Lily, Beam Rifle/Energy Aura/Leviathan Sentinel ~ Nezumiko, Savage Melee/Bio Armor/Mu Stalker

17 hours ago, Rigged said:

Homecoming Devs, please consider a Minimum FX option for all armor powers. The VFX is very nice and cool, but the problem is that it turns a character into a ridiculous lightshow.

• This is fine if this is in the character concept, but not every Rad Armor guy, for instance, might like the idea of their radiation visibly leaking out of their body when they just wanted the bonus from Alpha Barrier. Please let me protect myself without giving all my friends cancer.
  • Look in the comics. The entire Justice League, except for Firestorm, does not have auras. And even then, Firestorm has one aura, his flaming head. He doesn't have three different flaming auras from Fire Shield, Plasma Shield and Burning Aura.
  • Similarly, ice armor, while there is already a minimum FX option, still shows little ice crystals. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but I might not want that effect if my character idea is a person with a sheet of ice skin like Iceman. Iceman does not have protruding ice crystals. Please let us express our powers through our costumes rather than our power auras.
  • This is especially grating on the epic power pool armors, for which the selection is highly limited. Some powersets have no equivalent epic armor, and we're forced to use one of the options available. Please let me turn off my Dominator's Frozen Armor graphic. Please also add a version of Scorpion Shield without the vibration effect. I know it's called the Minimum FX version, but that's still a lot of FX.
  • Ideally, this would also apply to damage auras (barring the ring effect showing the power radius), but I could understand if there is some reason the devs would insist on a visible representation of a damage power.
  • Of course, I am not advocating the removal of the option to display the legacy auras. If people want to look like a Christmas tree that should be their prerogative. But I would like the option of turning them off in the power customization screen for my character.
  • Additionally, I don't believe that this would require significant onerous graphic work, because the exact same "No FX" option can be copy/pasted onto a whole bunch of different powers.

Homecoming devs, please consider my suggestion. I love making costumes, and I would very much like not to have them obscured by power auras.

There is a visual effects mod in city modder that greatly tones down visual FX across the game. You can also try /noparticles 1 (/noparticles 0 to switch it back). Not exactly what you're looking for but might make things more tolerable for now.

• 2 months later

I like this idea.

I often see people who are MA/Bio.  They are Natural Origin and have Minimal FX.  I still see all kinds of energy coming out of their body.  I'm sure that they chose Bio because it is one of the best secondaries, but hate the FX.

Unfortunately, games often try to adjust this by giving love or nerfs.  I think that giving an invisible option for secondary powers can help this without nerfs.

6 hours ago, drgantz said:

I like this idea.

I often see people who are MA/Bio.  They are Natural Origin and have Minimal FX.  I still see all kinds of energy coming out of their body.  I'm sure that they chose Bio because it is one of the best secondaries, but hate the FX.

Unfortunately, games often try to adjust this by giving love or nerfs.  I think that giving an invisible option for secondary powers can help this without nerfs.

I think the Damage Aura and PBAOE's of Bio Armor would still throw a lot of the natural look off.

However, I'd be curious to see if there's changes in what people pick.  More Bio Armor I would guess.