Slotting Pets

Scarlet Shocker

It's quite easy to get multiple pets in game - which is a lot of fun. Especially for controllers and SoA.

And of course you can also get pets from some of the PPPs.

I was frequently told on live to use the various procs for pets when designing a build. There are several specific sets and it kind of makes sense.

But if you're playing a controller for example and you have your main pet up all the time, is it better to slot that pet with the procs or have it do what it's good at and slot your "secondary" pet - many PPP pets are on a timer IIRC - be the mule that carries the procs?

Does it even make a difference? Does anyone know?

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

Because pets can't "abuse" procs in the same way a player can use global recharge to pump out twice as many proc firings as the PPM, I view procs in pets as a luxury.  By that I mean I would do so if all other build goals were met.  If I need 6 slots of Expedient Reinforcement for the +rch and +range def then no procs but if at the end of creating my Mids build I've got some slots sitting around and I've already slotted all the procs I can abuse, then Ill put some in pets.

Fluffy is an interesting example of actually a good place for procs.  With 1 slot, (most) everything it does has a chance to use the Cloud Senses proc so I would look to use that any time I make Dark Affinity/Miasma.  On the other hand, if a pet has one attack that can activate a proc, let's say the Demon Prince who has one hold out of everything it does, I wouldn't bother slotting a  damage proc from a  hold set.  On the other hand everything it does has a slow effect so the damage procs from slow sets are fantastic in it.

Bottom line, I don't see an easy "always slot your pet for procs" (or not) answer.  Like 99% of things in game, "it depends."

Edited by Hedgefund2
  • Like 1

I know almost nothing about fluffy but if I have Audrey II (plant pet) or Rocky (Earth control) up and a Coralax or Mu pet up... which gets the procs? Do the procs affect only the pet they are slotted in or are they global effects?

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Do the procs affect only the pet they are slotted in or are they global effects?

Damage and Build-Up procs affect only the pets slotted, but other 'procs' that provide Resist or Defense auras for your pets work as advertised on the tin: all pets get a stat bump if they are within range of the pets emitting the aura. I'm not familiar enough with these IOs to know if they all share the same radii or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I know almost nothing about fluffy but if I have Audrey II (plant pet) or Rocky (Earth control) up and a Coralax or Mu pet up... which gets the procs? Do the procs affect only the pet they are slotted in or are they global effects?

As I understand it, it's all very specific to each pet.  Not trying to drive you away, but you'd be best asking/searching forums for the AT and power set you're looking to slot, probably.  😃

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney: Matt (Posi) used to say that players would find the shortest path to the rewards even if it was a completely terrible play experience that would push them away from the game...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

22 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

For pets the rule is kind of "if their power could use the IO type the damage proc will try and fire".

For Audrey for example I think two of her attacks do -Def (fling thorns & bite) so a -Def damage proc and Achilles heel will roll to proc on enemies hit by those attacks. So on my plant Storm it's 4 recharge intensive pets, Shield breaker and Achilles. Nothing amazing, you won't be laying -20% -resist to every enemy you see but a nice effect.

This is also why -ToHit procs are useful on Dark fluffy, all their attacks (except the hold) do -ToHit. That said, I've parsed fluffy and it's not completely nuts (individual PAs and Phantasm still do way more damage).

The pet set auras count for all your pets, as long as theyre reasonably close.

The purple chance for buildup. So if you stick it into Fire imps it'll try and fire every time they do damage and it'll boost just that imp. But they all roll individually (really good in PAs too).

I have my walking fly trap slotted as follows (Dominator):

(A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff: Level 20

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage: Level 50

From memory, the reason this pet has those two %procs is because one of the attacks they fire in is a cone, and there are also two single-target attacks.

My Dark/rad Defender only has Fluffy 4-slouted with Cloud Senses. I could put any extra slots to better use elsewhere in the build.

I was thinking of a scenario where I'd got Rocky slotted with something like Hecatomb, and a Coralax slotted with a good proc collection.

My thinking is thus: Given that the procs are unique they are likely to be global. If they are slotted in the "temp pet" they should still work passively while Rocky can get on with the daily business of smashing stuff. It seems I might be under a misapprehension here.

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I was thinking of a scenario where I'd got Rocky slotted with something like Hecatomb, and a Coralax slotted with a good proc collection.

My thinking is thus: Given that the procs are unique they are likely to be global. If they are slotted in the "temp pet" they should still work passively while Rocky can get on with the daily business of smashing stuff. It seems I might be under a misapprehension here.

I am not familiar with the specifics of Animated Stone, but I have to believe that Hecatomb is better used for set bonuses in one of the AT's attacks. The Very Rare piece you want to consider for a pet (or a henchman) is Soulbound Allegiance's %Build Up (assuming the pet has no dead-time between attacks). If the summon power brings out multiple pets, the Overwhelming Force Knockdown is also a solid choice.

You can use Mids Reborn, City of Data 2 or even the in-game enhancement screen to see what IO sets are allowable within any power.  Doing so will show you that melee sets, such as Hecatomb, are not allowed in Stony.  You'll see the same is true for any pet.

Here you can see that the sets Stoney takes are KB, pet damage sets, recharge intensive pets and universal damage.

image.thumb.png.72e71b34af8ed842ce69c1e598a98b8c.png

4 hours ago, Hedgefund2 said:

You can use Mids Reborn, City of Data 2 or even the in-game enhancement screen to see what IO sets are allowable within any power.  Doing so will show you that melee sets, such as Hecatomb, are not allowed in Stony.  You'll see the same is true for any pet.

Here you can see that the sets Stoney takes are KB, pet damage sets, recharge intensive pets and universal damage.

image.thumb.png.72e71b34af8ed842ce69c1e598a98b8c.png

I use Mids, I was confusing Hecatomb with Soulbound Allegiance