Why is the Personal Force Field so useless ?

I liken PFF to self-rez powers. If everything goes fubar, you have a power to help you, even if pure Defense isn’t always the best method.

Some might say it’s better not to have things go fubar in the first place.

I would trade for a click (not toggle) PFF that is 100% impregnable, but it has 100% Placate on it. Can’t take aggro, but can’t get harmed either, including by AOEs. Same thing as Detention Field, but for yourself.

• Thumbs Down 1

The original @Hertz, creator of the Stan and Lou audio series on YouTube. Player of City of Heroes for yonks.1

1A yonk is a very long time.

What i personally would like, Is if you could green circle PFF, and have it activate automatically hwen you hit a certain percentage of your hit points. Inner Will from the blasters Martial Combat kinda works like this

" When pushed to your limit, you can tap into an inner reserve of power, allowing you to overcome impossible odds. When you are below half health, below half endurance, or the victim of any status effect, you may activate Inner Will. Inner Will cancels any status effects currently affecting you, increases your resistance to status effects by 100%, and increases the power of your own status effect-inducing powers. Inner Will also heals you for a moderate amount when activated."

I just leave it on auto activate and it activates when appropriate. It would be nice if PFF or an alt PFF would activate for like 30-60 seconds giving you insane def when you were at like 15% health, giving you some extra time to run, hit a green insp or use a self heal. 

I liked the old PFF where you were essentially phased out and invincible. nothing got through. You could stand right next to an AV and they would never get through. That was more useful and made the power something worth taking.

I'm not a fan of PFF, although I've pretty much only resorted to Force Mastery as an Epic pool choice for Enhancement Mules(*1). I did take, slot and use Repulsion Bomb for quite a lot of content, but I also grew disenchanted with it no matter how I tried to leverage it. I learned first-hand the weaknesses of Personal Force Field when trying to use it to get through a TF mission and enough of the enemies were rolling well enough to murder me.

(*1) on Blasters, I always consider Force Mastery only because I know it's an Epic/Patron set that I don't have to invest any slots in, and I may have already burned my four non-Epic power pool choices.