pet customization

This has been a huge and common request.  My understanding is it requires a lot of work, and the HC devs don't want to just kludge something together.  that being said, I think Rebirth has an interesting implementation, where you can load saved costume files into/onto your pets...

• Like 1

Not every character has the spare costume slots to devote to pets. (Edit: It also precludes having custom animals for Beast Mastery. Or plants for the Flytrap summon.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, biostem said:

This has been a huge and common request.  My understanding is it requires a lot of work, and the HC devs don't want to just kludge something together.  that being said, I think Rebirth has an interesting implementation, where you can load saved costume files into/onto your pets...

That is Thunderspy, not Rebirth.  And it no longer uses your character’s own costume slot, but each henchman has its own, separate, costume slot.

Edited by Astralock
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Astralock said:

That is Thunderspy, not Rebirth.  And it no longer uses your character’s own costume slot, but each henchman has its own, separate, costume slot.

That works. Is it a single slot each or a single slot per linked character slot? (Edit: That is, can the pets have different costumes to match the PC?) Is it still limited to regular character models or are there beast and plant customizations?

Edited by Rudra

I always thought the way to do this was via things in game already.

E.G. for Mercs you can pick from Malta, Nemesis, longbow, Arachnos, PPD, RIP;  any number of other groups. And they don't have to use those groups weapons, it would be nice but even just the character model swap would be good. For bots you again have options like clockwork, new clockwork, malta bots, Nemesis bots...

Basically any enemy group with minion LT, boss that remotely fits a given theme could be setup as a power customization you pick just like bright/dark color ways. 

It would help my masterminds feel more mastermind-y if the henchmen had some options to look more like groups that exist ingame.  Im not sure we would want direct copies though.  It wouldnt be an issue for me,  but having an enemy group fight itself might not sit well with everyone.

11 minutes ago, BronzeKnight said:

I always thought the way to do this was via things in game already.

E.G. for Mercs you can pick from Malta, Nemesis, longbow, Arachnos, PPD, RIP;  any number of other groups. And they don't have to use those groups weapons, it would be nice but even just the character model swap would be good. For bots you again have options like clockwork, new clockwork, malta bots, Nemesis bots...

Basically any enemy group with minion LT, boss that remotely fits a given theme could be setup as a power customization you pick just like bright/dark color ways. 

Well, AFAIK, the issue isn't which character models that can or cannot be used, but how the powers are their existing pet models are connected/coded.  Is it just a call to a character model in the game files, or is each pets' appearance one-and-the-same with the power that summons them then upgrades them?  That being said, bots and other non-humanoid minions would probably be more difficult, since they have powers that emanate from things like the assault bot's shoulder missile launchers...

2 minutes ago, TheZag said:

Im not sure we would want direct copies though.  It wouldnt be an issue for me,  but having an enemy group fight itself might not sit well with everyone.

They could give them a different aura or something, like the incarnate lore abilities, but the cat is already out of the bag with patron pool pets, seeing as you can fight arachnos...

6 minutes ago, TheZag said:

It would help my masterminds feel more mastermind-y if the henchmen had some options to look more like groups that exist ingame.  Im not sure we would want direct copies though.  It wouldnt be an issue for me,  but having an enemy group fight itself might not sit well with everyone.

Why not? It seems to happen quite often in a lot of in game stories. 

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

Well, AFAIK, the issue isn't which character models that can or cannot be used, but how the powers are their existing pet models are connected/coded.  Is it just a call to a character model in the game files, or is each pets' appearance one-and-the-same with the power that summons them then upgrades them?  That being said, bots and other non-humanoid minions would probably be more difficult, since they have powers that emanate from things like the assault bot's shoulder missile launchers...

Fair, I just meant as a first step towards the idea a simple "reskin" of the character would be easiest but I don't know how the game is set up and if such a swap would be easy or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

i made a robot mastermind on Thunderspy; and with a little searching through the costume bits you can find items that more or less connect the robot weapons to whatever figure/model you choose; arm/glove pieces and shoulder pieces. but it's not at all perfect.  My fav CoH servers are on Homecoming, as well as a lot my friends. And we all would be ecstatic to be able to customize our pets, on masterminds, controllers, etc., here on Homecoming.