AI Tools for RP

Andreah

I ran across this tool because it was used by an mod author for another game who leveraged it to make interactive AI driven NPCs out of the otherwise silent or merely scripted ones in the base version of that game.

https://inworld.ai/

This tool allows you to create an AI Chatbot with voice that takes on the personality and background you define for it. They're also working to get them to be used in games with various integration frameowrks.

There are other tools out there now as well, of course.

Have any of us found uses for them in RP? Either in stories you write, backgrounds you develop, on-line descriptions of them (e.g., integrating a link to a custom chatbot for your character in a FBSA entry), or as custom NPC's in ongoing group RP stories or AE arcs, and so forth.

Have you used an AI to help you flesh out a story arc you are running for other players?

Have you used a chatbot help you find a character's voice?

I think there's a lot of potential in these tools and I'm wondering how far people have been able to use them so far.

• Like 4

I've been using AI, especially ChatGPT, to help me come up with interesting stories and descriptions based on just one sentence.

It's a pretty cool tool that I'm really excited about! It's been super helpful for me when it comes to writing about things like languages my characters might speak, sayings from other cultures, or hobbies I don't know anything about. Basically, it gives me all the info I need in a way that's easy to understand and perfect for what I'm looking for.

(This post was written by ChatGPT for funsies after an input from me)

Now this isn't filtered through an AI, but this thing has been invaluable from a DM standpoint, a spellcheck standpoint, a 'find a suitable word', or give me some ideas for a character standpoint, make a puzzle for a plot, write a riddle for a breadcrumb quest for characters, the list is endless.

Voice AI's have been used already in a World of Warcraft mod which is giving voice dialogue to quests that never had it to begin with which blows my mind, the world is going to change rapidly when using AI becomes as normal as using a smartphone.

Edited by Latex
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 11:17 PM, Latex said:

I've been using AI, especially ChatGPT, to help me come up with interesting stories and descriptions based on just one sentence.

It's a pretty cool tool that I'm really excited about! It's been super helpful for me when it comes to writing about things like languages my characters might speak, sayings from other cultures, or hobbies I don't know anything about. Basically, it gives me all the info I need in a way that's easy to understand and perfect for what I'm looking for.

(This post was written by ChatGPT for funsies after an input from me)

Now this isn't filtered through an AI, but this thing has been invaluable from a DM standpoint, a spellcheck standpoint, a 'find a suitable word', or give me some ideas for a character standpoint, make a puzzle for a plot, write a riddle for a breadcrumb quest for characters, the list is endless.

Voice AI's have been used already in a World of Warcraft mod which is giving voice dialogue to quests that never had it to begin with which blows my mind, the world is going to change rapidly when using AI becomes as normal as using a smartphone.

Oh how I'd kill for Matthew to tell me about his wife in Galaxy City with a voice like this. 🤩

• Like 4

The mod I found had been one to add new dialogue and voice to Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord.  That's very cool and all, but I'm really looking forward to tools that help us develop and fully flesh out RP stories and backgrounds.

There are some uses for it.   I was largely unimpressed by AI Dungeon and although they were very useful for structuring technical write-ups, the AI I tested was woefully inaccurate.   AI to me can change a Subject Matter Expert into an editor rather than a writer, but that's an entirely different skill we need to develop.  When you're reading a subject that you think you know, you often speedread right over the contradictions rather than catch them.

Me?  what I want most from AI is not comic-fying a photograph, but to digitally nudge the images.   Give it a reference image and say.  "this character but sprinting."  

If I could take a city of heroes screenshot and just say, "make his face [talking, laughing, angry,  unhappy, disappointed, stern, sad, etc]" I'd have so many more screenshot comics come to life so quickly.   Minor photoshopping I can do well enough.  Illustrate faces, nope.

The mod author I mentioned in the first post has also done this for Skyrim:

I doubt we'll ever see this kind of integration into CoH, but I can imagine having a session with an npc where I have set the background and context up, and using it to elicit dialogue and story ideas to incorporate into AEs.

• Thumbs Up 1