Mutants finally explained in Marvel

So this is a thing I discovered, and I will try not to spoil it. But it has been out since 2018 and I just found out myself. Marvel finally explained mutants on Earth and why such mutations are not a galaxy wide thing. Summary, an event happened millions of years ago that messed with the planet and thus mutants have moved to the science category. My only question is if it becomes public knowledge, will it just be like the end of the Ultimate's universe? Because right now, mutants powers and how random it is makes a whole lot of sense now. 

9 minutes ago, LegionAlpha said:

mutants have moved to the science category

It is irrelevant if the "original" mutants were created via some scientific experiment - if someone is born *now* in the Marvel universe, and their powers are due to some anomaly in their genetics, (X-gene, etc), not directly brought about by some scientific experiment or accident, then they are still a mutant.

5 minutes ago, biostem said:

It is irrelevant if the "original" mutants were created via some scientific experiment - if someone is born *now* in the Marvel universe, and their powers are due to some anomaly in their genetics, (X-gene, etc), not directly brought about by some scientific experiment or accident, then they are still a mutant.

That is the thing, it was not some random anomaly, but( minor spoiler) but by an external source that caused it. 

Man it is hard not to spoil the comic. 

2 minutes ago, LegionAlpha said:

That is the thing, it was not some random anomaly

You are missing my point.  It does not matter what caused mutants to exist or how they were brought about.  Only those first few could be considered to be of a science origin.  Once they started reproducing on their own, and that external source no longer plays a role, they become "normal" mutation origin.

Okay I get what your saying.  I guess I was disappointed that they almost went (as I said) some way as Ultimates, They too had mutants, but how they went to create them. Dunno if you read Ultimate X-Men or the Ultimatum Storyline where nearly all the X-Men were killed and many disbanded afterwards and life made worse when the truth came out and mutants as I understood made them more of a result of the mad scientist than evolution. 

If this is what I think it is, Agents of SHIELD dealt with it, but since the show wasn't allowed to use "mutant" due to studio rights conflicts, they defaulted to "Inhumans".  Season 5  introduced that outside source and the whole concept.  Interestingly, season 5 premiered in late 2017, which predates the year you gave for the comics.  I wonder which one influenced the other?

• Like 1

Agents of Shield, Season 3 - First two seasons were just a tease, *this* is the origin of "Inhumans" (Mutants) on Earth.

Inhumans The Ill Fated Series - No, wait, guys, WE are THE INHUMANS!!

Agents of Shield, Season 5 and beyond - Well... Ackshuallllyyy, you're just not though.

🤣

Edited by InvaderStych
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 5/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, LegionAlpha said:

So this is a thing I discovered, and I will try not to spoil it. But it has been out since 2018 and I just found out myself. Marvel finally explained mutants on Earth and why such mutations are not a galaxy wide thing. Summary, an event happened millions of years ago that messed with the planet and thus mutants have moved to the science category. My only question is if it becomes public knowledge, will it just be like the end of the Ultimate's universe? Because right now, mutants powers and how random it is makes a whole lot of sense now. 

This isn't really new. We've known this for decades.

But mutations really are a universe-wide thing. It's not just Earth.

Edited by MyriVerse

• 4 weeks later

Most of the Imperial Guard are not genetic Shi'ar. They're Shi'ar like the people of North Africa were Romans under the empire. The Shi'ar Empire has about 100,000 different races in it.

But we've seen mutants of Shi'ar, Skrulls, Brood, Centaurians (Yondu's race), very few Kree (and then some Kree evolved into the Ruul), many others too.

And they consider Warlock the Technarch (not Adam Warlock) a mutant because he's not into eating his kids or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mutants have the "X-gene", that's why they show up on things like Sentinel scanners (and why my No-Prize brain rationalizes humans being afraid of mutants on sight while simultaneously stanning dudes who can burn down city blocks)