Demons Whip animations as alternate animations for Fire Swords

1 hour ago, Steampunkette said:

Keep it like it is, color it blue-purple, and call it Plasma.

Fire/Energy damage with a -Def function.

In this case, a re-color doesn't work. Because the effect is fire, the re-color makes it look like plasma as in from a star or a nebula, not like electricity.

Edit: That was a good idea, it just doesn't work. It does look amazing like that though.

Edited by Rudra

47 minutes ago, Rudra said:

In this case, a re-color doesn't work. Because the effect is fire, the re-color makes it look like plasma as in from a star or a nebula, not like electricity.

such a bother.... i think most all think whips would be...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...great! bigly great, kupo!

Edited by honoroit
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later
On 6/10/2023 at 5:16 PM, Rudra said:

Edit: That was a good idea, it just doesn't work. It does look amazing like that though.

Plasma that is in the sun and plasma that we make on Earth is the same thing. It's a higher state of molecular and atomic excitement than Gas. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Plasma-ball (electro-orb) from Spencer's Gifts doesn't -actually- contain plasma, just low amp high voltage electricity passing through a noble gas (Usually argon or neon, but krypton and xeon are also options)

https://www.psfc.mit.edu/vision/what_is_plasma

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/lightning

https://www.britannica.com/science/electricity

Plasma is not electricity. Plasma is not lightning.

Edit: Changing the colors as you said makes the fire look like plasma, not like lightning. There is a very distinct visual difference.

Edited by Rudra

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

https://www.psfc.mit.edu/vision/what_is_plasma

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/lightning

https://www.britannica.com/science/electricity

Plasma is not electricity. Plasma is not lightning.

Edit: Changing the colors as you said makes the fire look like plasma, not like lightning. There is a very distinct visual difference.

At what point did I say that plasma was electricity?

I said "Energy Damage" which is right there with Radiation which works fine with Plasma.

You're the one who said it winds up looking like the plasma from a star and not electricity. I'm confused by the goal, here.

On 6/10/2023 at 2:22 PM, Steampunkette said:

Keep it like it is, color it blue-purple, and call it Plasma.

Fire/Energy damage with a -Def function.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:16 PM, Rudra said:

1 minute ago, Steampunkette said:

At what point did I say that plasma was electricity?

I said "Energy Damage" which is right there with Radiation which works fine with Plasma.

You're the one who said it winds up looking like the plasma from a star and not electricity. I'm confused by the goal, here.

The point was an electric whip. Whether that whip be a physical whip with electricity arcing along its entire length or one made of lightning itself. (The one made of lightning itself is the preferred form.) You proposed changing the colors, and I tried it. It did not look like the goal of an electric whip. It looked like a whip made of plasma. A visually distinct effect not in line with the stated request. Plasma being super-heated matter that has its electrons ripped away. It visually looks like a gas or a flame. As opposed to the desire for a whip that looks like lightning.

3 hours ago, Steampunkette said:

The Plasma-ball (electro-orb) from Spencer's Gifts doesn't -actually- contain plasma, just low amp high voltage electricity passing through a noble gas (Usually argon or neon, but krypton and xeon are also options)

Kind of like how lava lamps don't actually contain lava.  It's just a name to evoke ideas in the imagination.

On 6/22/2023 at 6:11 PM, Rudra said:

The point was an electric whip. Whether that whip be a physical whip with electricity arcing along its entire length or one made of lightning itself. (The one made of lightning itself is the preferred form.) You proposed changing the colors, and I tried it. It did not look like the goal of an electric whip. It looked like a whip made of plasma. A visually distinct effect not in line with the stated request. Plasma being super-heated matter that has its electrons ripped away. It visually looks like a gas or a flame. As opposed to the desire for a whip that looks like lightning.

Ohhhhhhhhh

Yeah. That's never going to happen.

The whip isn't a prop object like a sword or axe, where you can specifically replace it with something else, it's specifically an effect, like the blast from fire blast. S'why it always looks exactly the same every time it comes out even though you'd think the flames would be "Random"

Creating the whip powers took as much effort for the original game developers as animating 8 separate powersets. Like all 9 powers in 8 sets for 4 powers in 1 set. Colin Brown, one of Paragon's animators, did a whole dev diary post about it for MMORPG.com, though it's since been lost to time. In it, he discussed how incredibly intensive the efforts were and how it was kind of ridiculous the amount of effort that was put into getting one set -just- right. But the Going Rogue brass wanted Desdemona to be the coolest character they could manage soooo....

Even if using the physical animations of the character moving could shave off 3/4 of the time of creating an electric whip alternative you're still looking at 4 powers for the cost of the animation development time of 18 powers.

Maybe if the dev team, here, got paid a lot of money and were able to get some more artists and animators on staff they could do that. But it'd cost 2 potential full powersets to just move over the 4 current animations. And if you wanted a full attack set (with build up or aim taking a 0-effort time) you're back to looking at 8 full sets of animation effort for 4 more powers, -plus- the 2 sets time for the 4 powers that exist.

10 powersets worth of effort for 1 powerset. I just don't see anyone involved thinking that's a reasonable use of time and resources. It's why I suggested the plasma whip instead. It'd be a new damage setup and give the designers some options while just recycling the 4 powers animations we currently have.