Beast/Poison MM problems

MagicalAct

So I've been playing a Beast/Poison MM, and while I enjoy it mainly for the theme, I originally thought about rolling him a beast/sonic. He's in the low 30s now and while I hadn't had any major problems I've started encountering some. My pets started dying more often. I joined a PI team fighting reds and purples and while I wasn't dying I was resummoning pets multiple times a fight. At 27 I slotted the usual call to arms, sovereign right, edict of the master and expedient reinforcement buffs but it didn't seem to make a huge jump in survivability to them. I figured things would be okay after getting Noxious Gas only to find it's a click not a toggle on a 5 minute cooldown that can't take sets. I still like the toon but I'm worried about joining another team now and wondering if I should have just rolled him as beast/sonic instead.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:00 PM, MagicalAct said:

So I've been playing a Beast/Poison MM, and while I enjoy it mainly for the theme, I originally thought about rolling him a beast/sonic. He's in the low 30s now and while I hadn't had any major problems I've started encountering some. My pets started dying more often. I joined a PI team fighting reds and purples and while I wasn't dying I was resummoning pets multiple times a fight. At 27 I slotted the usual call to arms, sovereign right, edict of the master and expedient reinforcement buffs but it didn't seem to make a huge jump in survivability to them. I figured things would be okay after getting Noxious Gas only to find it's a click not a toggle on a 5 minute cooldown that can't take sets. I still like the toon but I'm worried about joining another team now and wondering if I should have just rolled him as beast/sonic instead.

If you're playing casually, you can just grind through those frustrations. Joining PI 54 powerleveling teams when you're not 50+incarnated means you're gonna have squishy pets no matter what.  Its a mismatch mm's have to deal with leveling up in such a fashion.

Once 50, incarnating helps, but mm's struggle to various degrees and while other sets are more beneficial to pet survivablity, poison isn't a pet centered suppport set.  Even well incarnated good support secondaries are going to  still resummon pets at various points in a missions. in many cases(though not all).

Basically you picked  a combo that while interesting is not as synergetic as you may have hoped, I think.

Poison has potent debuffs, but their AoEs are rather small, meaning you'll have to recast them quite often to keep enemies affected by them and your pets alive.  Since you are SK'd up, your pets are probably more than -5 to the enemies, and your debuffs are probably missing more often than usual - basically everything is working against you.  How are you slotted?  Do you have generic IOs at least?  Any tohit buffs, like from tactics?  Overall, I wouldn't say this experience is representative of what you're performance will be like when you're actually 50...

7 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

If you're playing casually, you can just grind through those frustrations. Joining PI 54 powerleveling teams when you're not 50+incarnated means you're gonna have squishy pets no matter what.  Its a mismatch mm's have to deal with leveling up in such a fashion.

Once 50, incarnating helps, but mm's struggle to various degrees and while other sets are more beneficial to pet survivablity, poison isn't a pet centered suppport set.  Even well incarnated good support secondaries are going to  still resummon pets at various points in a missions. in many cases(though not all).

Basically you picked  a combo that while interesting is not as synergetic as you may have hoped, I think.

Yeah, I don't know why I brought up the PI team it should be kind of expected, the one that really bothered me was a Croatoa team around 30ish when I was 28 or so? Fir Bolg bosses just ate my pets alive. It's gotten a bit better, as you and kelika have said poison is pretty bad at keeping my pets alive, but can tear through things too. It's still going to be a struggle I'm sure but I'm still enjoying the toon and closing in on 50.

Edited by MagicalAct

11 minutes ago, MagicalAct said:

Yeah, I don't know why I brought up the PI team it should be kind of expected, the one that really bothered me was a Croatoa team around 30ish when I was 28 or so? Fir Bolg bosses just ate my pets alive. It's gotten a bit better, as you and kelika have said poison is pretty bad at keeping my pets alive, but can tear through things too. It's still going to be a struggle I'm sure but I'm still enjoying the toon and closing in on 50.

Welcome to melee pets vs Streng's AOE Fire Stomp.

• Haha 1

Slot the Overwhelming Force KD proc in the T1 pets. Also slot ATO 1 and 2 (Command of the MM and Mark of Supremacy). I think they're all slottable at level 10. Control the pets, don't let them run around unleashed, all willy-nilly. Passive-Attack My Target. Hit an enemy that's aggro'd on another teammate, help defeat them faster. 

Focus down one target at a time. Envenom, Weaken, the hold power. Cycle antidote among all pets every 90 seconds.

Hit targets further away from a tank. If a tank has aggro, most AoEs will be focused around his location. Keep pets out of AoE range, in the tank's vicinity to help avoid splash damage.

Fortify Pack often.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, StrikerFox said:

Slot the Overwhelming Force KD proc in the T1 pets. Also slot ATO 1 and 2 (Command of the MM and Mark of Supremacy). 

I think many people miss the incredible value you can get out of the Overwhelming Force KD proc in T1 pets.  I think I drop that in all my MM T1 pets as soon as possible and it makes a huge difference.  Whenever I run SBB's I actually keep a couple in storage for when I build yet another MM.  Goes such a long way to keeping pets alive.