Symphony? mind? I'm upset about Figs, my stalker - someone said nasty things about stalkers

honoroit

I'm upset about Figs, my stalker -

tumblr_oyy6twRZHB1s29fu9o1_1280.thumb.jpeg.531c8969f705c241f8dfd3d2355a7a99.jpeg

someone said nasty things about stalkers in general, and its been grating on me.

the player complimented my damage, but, they said i have to hit things one at a time, and up close mainly.

Figs is rad/rad, so i can aoe somewhat.  i have combat teleport for gap closing...

...but theyre right! ultimately, Figs is not a blaster.

so it hit me, what else is moxed type like blaster for slotting diversity and general offense? Dominator!

I'm a dominator fan too, i probably have 20 or so random ones at 50.  but i want something new!

so i want to try something ive not done:

symphony

gravity

fire

/something

any advice or favorites?

i like damage and wildness!

-- honoroit, the untamed

tumblr_osgzjxcILh1s29fu9o1_500.png.9e2c01c7e8ceffe386e052e963fd4dde.png

• Like 2

Symphony on a controller is very much like playing a dom, but with your blasts and controls rolled into one package. I really recommend giving it a shot! The cones line up easily at range, and every control in your kit can be procced or enhanced to do respectable damage. No need to leave your primary for both aoe and ST damage. Focusing on primary powers heavily also gives your Reverberant more fun things to copy, making it more useful.

Most any secondary would work. /Dark combines well with anything, and would be tremendous if you find it thematically appropriate. You might enjoy having Combat Teleport for quick pops in/back to hit soul absorption, but otherwise everything can be thrown out at range with your Symphony cones. The strong +def from this secondary provides a great baseline for very flexible proc slotting in your Symphony powers. You can achieve meaningful defense without sacrificing damage in this way.\

Edit: Doop! I thought I was in the controller forum - silly me.

To amend my statement, I think Symphony is great as above, but offers more to a controller. A dom will be more involved in their secondary if feeling blasty, leaving Reverberant with less to do. You'll also not care quite so much about the damage opportunities that Symphony provides - this is more of a game changer for a  controller.

As for doms, Gravity is a favorite of mine, and one that got me into doms! Wormhole is great fun of course, but the key is Singy. I use TP ally and enflame, with a -KB IO in Singy. In this way, I have an easily recastable opener ready at hand basically all the time, and it's on fire to boot. Doms have a high ranged damage modifier, which Enflame goes off of, so you are uniquely placed to leverage its heat. Singy keeps them knocked down and distracted while they burn and you unleash whatever form of hell you like. /Dark is a great form of hell, of course. My own is Grav/Energy, but anything that works with your theme will do.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

2 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Symphony on a controller is very much like playing a dom, but with your blasts and controls rolled into one package. I really recommend giving it a shot! The cones line up easily at range, and every control in your kit can be procced or enhanced to do respectable damage. No need to leave your primary for both aoe and ST damage. Focusing on primary powers heavily also gives your Reverberant more fun things to copy, making it more useful.

Most any secondary would work. /Dark combines well with anything, and would be tremendous if you find it thematically appropriate. You might enjoy having Combat Teleport for quick pops in/back to hit soul absorption, but otherwise everything can be thrown out at range with your Symphony cones. The strong +def from this secondary provides a great baseline for very flexible proc slotting in your Symphony powers. You can achieve meaningful defense without sacrificing damage in this way.

on dom tho?

could not agree more with your thoughts on dark affinity for controller!

bit, rather id hope the powerboost in dark assault would work to extend the stun on confounding, which extends its dot (or so the tooltip says)

the same can be achieved with jowling twilight and dark affinity, and im sure its quite good.

but dom tho 🙂

7 minutes ago, honoroit said:

on dom tho?

Yes - I amended my reply already above : D

I'm very confident that Gather Shadows would not extend the DoT on Confounding, as it is a separate effect from the stun, and not tied to something power boost interacts with in that way. If you find otherwise it would be an interesting synergy!

The small damage boost would come into play of course.

Edited by Onlyasandwich

9 minutes ago, Onlyasandwich said:

Yes - I amended my reply already above : D

I'm very confident that Gather Shadows would not extend the DoT on Confounding, as it is a separate effect from the stun, and not tied to something power boost interacts with in that way. If you find otherwise it would be an interesting synergy!

The small damage boost would come into play of course.

ill test it on beta. the way the ability is worded it does damage for the duration of the stun... i think... the in game description (in character designer) strangley has the words 'when target is awake'??

but the extended description talks about doing damage while stunned.

so my simple thought, make that really long at mag 6.

After making a Symphony controller today, Symphony/dark was one of the options I looked at for a Dom. I would like to at least get my Dark/dark Dom to 50 before I made another Dom. 

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

hm... so I can't tell properly @Onlyasandwich - the monsters in perigrine in my quick test didn't live long enough...

/dark I'm not so sure of..  solo on brainstorm everything I do makes me compare it to /fire...

however, I think /dark assault might be a good idea, that whole contributing layered -tohit.

symphony pet - I am not impressed...  but it shows promise if it doesn't die a lot (which I don't know).  the delay on recast of aoe stuff is VERY DELAYED, to the point where its going to not do much in groups.  it is nice to have the echo on things like cone sleep, and its quicker for single target echo, or was as I noticed.

I think when things are chaotic, it'd be useful as support /dark 'dark servant' is nice for what it goes about doing (despite having to repeatedly summon it on loop, which is annoying)

....the ULTIMATE /xyz assault to go with symphony.... not sure yet, its definately one that lets you stand back with the cones.  dark seems decent as I end with 1x good melee, a life drain, powerboost, negative dmg, -tohit, a press pbaoe, a crap cone (nightfall is skinny) that does OK damage, and a good ST ranged attack chain.

in my build I could probably drop the ST confuse for disruptor blast in scorpion shield, for procc'd aoe.  i have too many ST abilities with my recharge to not have either that or lifedrain sitting unused.

its thematic tho... 

Screenshot_20230805_210526.thumb.jpg.0d538fe3718faeec14e16bd81f204f8b.jpg

I'm calling him 'Eldrich Figs' - i dunno if i'd be better dark/dark... 

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, honoroit said:

everything I do makes me compare it to /fire

With this in mind, not much will stack up. : )

/Fiery is amazing. Still, /dark offers some good utility, and has strong ST as you note. For me it just comes down to what fulfills a satisfying theme, and if the sets execute well towards that end.

I haven't paid super close attention to recast times on Reverberant's powers, but certainly a controller will be feeding it more primary powers to copy, and have a better time keeping it alive. I find it to be a moderate contributor on damage, and a great lockdown buddy for hard targets on my controller. The aoe controls that it stacks are not something I rely on - more of a happy bonus and extra damage.

It's true that Symphony wants to just sit at range and pop cones, which is somewhat at odds with most Dom secondaries since they want to mix in melee. This would be another point in favor of /Fiery, as it is one of the few assault sets that can operate at more or less peak efficiency while staying at range.

• Like 1

If you're set on Symphony it's not very synergetic with many dom assaults.  It's a ranged damage control which would pair well with only a select few sets with Fire being the most obvious.  

If you're not set in stone with Symphony then you could do something/energy/soul.  Energy and Soul pair real well for a mix of high melee, ranged and pbaoe damage.  

38 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

If you're set on Symphony it's not very synergetic with many dom assaults.  It's a ranged damage control which would pair well with only a select few sets with Fire being the most obvious.  

If you're not set in stone with Symphony then you could do something/energy/soul.  Energy and Soul pair real well for a mix of high melee, ranged and pbaoe damage.  

symphony is pretty great, and with pet echo is a big chunk of cc magnitude.  

even a second wave of mag3 sleep, when youve put mag 6 under dom (as well as its dmg down debuff), makes it a very good power.

this over every primary thing you do.

i tried /fire, and, its fire. i just really dont like its pbaoes.

i could go symphony/dark controller, and get pretty abusive with disorient...but the cc loses base mag.

so far, symphony feels like mind mk2.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, honoroit said:

i tried /fire, and, its fire. i just really dont like its pbaoes.

This is a fair assessment! The standard tac for /Fiery is to skip the pbaoes, as they are indeed poopoo, though consume has some situational use.

Most dom secondaries have a sort of mediocre cone and a pretty serviceable pbaoe. /Fiery is the inverse.

The appeal here is that you can take all the ranged powers and you aren't really missing out. As with most doms, you may want to supplement aoe with an epic. However, Symphony has less need here given the aoe rotation built into the primary. Symphony/Fire can just stay in Symph's comfy cone range and be happy.

That being said, theme is king, and /Dark is still a great set with solid additional utility.

I agree that Symph feels a bit like Mind Control 2.0! I recently rolled a Mind/Dark controller, and though it has been a fun ride, the only thing Mind/ really gives me in addition are the non-notify skills (pretty handy at times), the one-shot boss sleep (hey, Dom's can do this in an aoe with domination up under Symphony!), and the silliness of Mass Confusion. For all of this it loses a reliable aoe stun, and has vastly inferior damage, despite being a bit blasty by nature itself.

I'm glad you're enjoying your dom! All doms are great - I don't think there exists a truly bad combo.

Edited by Onlyasandwich