Does Dual Pistols require tons of inf to succeed?

pawstruck

I'm never going to have billions of influence, and I'm okay with that.

However, my alt is a DP/dark blaster with the idea of blapping behind it. (So I guess first of all, tell me if this is a terrible combination.)

The heart of my question is: Doesn't blapping rely on getting purple'd out and having really high melee defense or something? Will I be disappointed in later content as I run in and just die under the Sunless Mire animation, before Hail of Bullets can even go off?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question; I'm not totally familiar with the meta way of playing CoX...

You can blap with 0 def and 0 res; I have builds that do. The skill requirement is considerably higher, of course, but on a team it should not be a big issue.

Learn to joust (hop between attacks so that your momentum carries you out of enemy melee range while your attack is animating). Queue up attacks between hops so they start animating once you land at the feet of an enemy, then bounce away. Learn to use tools that are not IO's and set bonuses, and recognize when it is not safe to melee.

Purples contribute rech and res (specifically, F/C/Psi/tox resist which is not normally a major component of blaster miti strats), not def.

Melee def is usually not required on a blaster, blapping or not blapping. Melee def is most important for toons fighting prolonged combats in melee with taunt auras that prevent the enemy AI deciding to run away; on a blaster, by the time you get to that point usually you are dead or the enemies are dead. Blasters can often get by with ranged def alone even if they do venture into melee.

More generally, builds can usually pursue one build goal fairly cheaply. Where builds get really expensive is trying to pursue multiple conflicting build goals; for example, a permahasten, SLR softcapped blaster. Or, a procbombing, all resist hardcapped doublestacked rage tank. For that you need slot-efficiency, and that tends to cost.

Finally, just putting this out there, you may want to consider not being okay with never having billions, mainly because it's actually quite easy to make money. That said, 99.9% of the content in this game has piss poor reward rates and the megabucks comes from just a few specific avenues - marketing and farming primarily, with things like 4* and hami as a distant third. So if all of that bores you and you prefer to just play for fun, I do completely respect that and wish you well on your billion-less career.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, pawstruck said:

I'm never going to have billions of influence, and I'm okay with that.

However, my alt is a DP/dark blaster with the idea of blapping behind it. (So I guess first of all, tell me if this is a terrible combination.)

The heart of my question is: Doesn't blapping rely on getting purple'd out and having really high melee defense or something? Will I be disappointed in later content as I run in and just die under the Sunless Mire animation, before Hail of Bullets can even go off?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question; I'm not totally familiar with the meta way of playing CoX...

You may find some stuff here helpful

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Read up on how to use the Market to gain a lot of influence. You can toss @Yomo Kimyata an email in game and they'll send you 100 mill. I only chase purples if I need that much recharge from 5-slotting it, or I want the damage proc. My builds to a default don't use purples and can be done for 500 mill rather easily. I have builds in their 30s fully slotted and sitting with 500 mill on hand. The easiest thing to do is find a build you like, get it to 50, and T4 everything. By the time you do that, you will be swimming in influence. You might even find some purples along the way, craft them, and sell them.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Ok so. I have a toon named iBlap...

Here's the skinny on blapping,

You'll never cap out defenses, but you can selectively get close, like s/l/r or m

You want some sort of invis, I go ghetto with superspeed and stealth IO

You need your alpha to have some sort of retaliatory mitigation, iBlap is water/elec, so the alpha has massive knock up. My DP/mental alphas with bonfire, the runs in and hits drain psyche for huge health/end then unloads nuke.

Your defenses will last a quick second, and any debuff will crush them, so your nuke and next two follow up attacks need to wipe most minions and bring LTs to very low health, so be sure your damage is very high. Those defenses are sketchy to rely on for longer battles.

Don't waste your time with medicine pool, you are better of straight murdering everything in that time.

Your single target attacks are vital to crush LTs and bosses, and any secondary effects like stun, knockdown, health stealing are the key to being able to push to 4/8 and steamroll, or rely on Insps and rest between groups.

Water has a built in heal, it's small but really helps because it just keeps on working. The idea here is layered mitigation from good selective defenses, secondary effects, kill fast and some health return

You really, really want global recharge over 160% or higher (175% is permanently hasten) without sacrificing the above points... Get your nuke down to 21-26 seconds.

Force feedback +recharge wherever possible is huge, but don't sacrifice the build to get it, you need all of the above.

You want aim/BU if the sets come with it, and they should recharge fast with the high global recharge

All that said, I alpha groups, I stay in melee and don't like to kite, I set at 4/8 most times and I don't really care about the faction I fight. I just get blapfreaky. And I die, it happens... That's blaplife.