Symphony-please educate tell me about it

BronzeElephant

I'm coming back to the game and there's so many new powers and such. Symphony caught my eye and I'm intrigued. Gave it a little test and found it interesting (some of the sounds remind me of Bloodborne which isn't a bad thing). I wish I could combine it with illusion which was always a favorite and they just seem like they belong together. Is it good? bad? quirky? Amazing until level 50?

a good resource is here: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/powerset.html?pset=controller_control.symphony_control&at=controller

symphony is a damagey set.  youll find a few build threads in the dominator forums (one on symphony/fire id agree with, but prefer symphony/dark)

on controller, lets get secondary put of the way.

symphony is cone heavy, meaning youll want to be 30-40feet ft your targets most of the time.

cold dom would work well.

as would storm summoning.

electric affinity / dark affinity are always good choices.

symphony has a good disorient cone, which tocks for a great deal of damage.

it has a cone fear that damages, a sleep cone that (importantly) also does damage down debuff.

its single target confuse deals damage, and can be swapped in as an attack power in a single target chain.

its aoe hold is mothing special, and can be skipped. it, like the others has an obscene  base cooldown.

standout also in symphony os its pet.  it echoes symphony skills you do, on a delay of a few seconds.  it will elect its own targets for this.  so it ends up overlapping your fear, sleep, hold, disorient and confuse effects.

it, like other pets, can get stuck on walls or not keep up at times, but its tolerable.

personally, i like symphony on dominator - as the damage there is quite high when matched with very solid control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BronzeElephant said:

symphony/sonic

/Sonic will be quite capable on teams.

For solo work, you'll have mez protection, which is nice. However, a huge swathe of your toolkit is useless solo. Of special note is your biggest -res debuff (Disruption Field), which can be nice on Controllers with a melee pet. No melee pet here. Theme is king if you really prefer it! It is not a very optimal pairing unless you are teaming most of the time.

• 1 month later

Another question brings me back to this 

On 8/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, honoroit said:

standout also in symphony os its pet.  it echoes symphony skills you do, on a delay of a few seconds.  it will elect its own targets for this.  so it ends up overlapping your fear, sleep, hold, disorient and confuse effects.

so does the pet only use powers you use, or does it “know” things you might have skipped? I’m thinking the first, but I just wanted to check. 

31 minutes ago, BronzeElephant said:

Another question brings me back to this 

so does the pet only use powers you use, or does it “know” things you might have skipped? I’m thinking the first, but I just wanted to check. 

it does what you do, with a slight delay.

its quicker following up single target things, but it can be a few seconds for aoe.

it also seems to queue stuff a bit, so if it moves into range itll do echoes from the past. how exactly that functions, i dunno.

it is quite hardy, not grav pet hardy, but certainly capable of taking sustained hits.

if it gets trapped or lost (it can fly), resommoning it is helpful.

some people use tp other to summon it, but this is overkill imo.

tye symphony set is very strong, and the pet is marvelous even at what i'd call 60-80% efficacy as an ai contrilled unit.

simply, stacking dom mag 6 with pet echoes at 3, and having many of those do things like damage as well as their cc... its quite effective.

symphony/fire messes up stuff hard. symphony/psi is also decent.

and so much aligns with coneish range.

i use combat tp to move quicklu back and forth into and out of melee (search my other awesome posts for combat tp macros)

spacer.png

symphony Figs (joins the choir)

Edited by honoroit
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

This is really useful. I've been playing a Symphony/Mind dom and truthfully found it quite overwhelming. Doubly so, solo... I really struggled with the trapdoor mission at 0/+1

What am I doing wrong?

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:57 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

This is really useful. I've been playing a Symphony/Mind dom and truthfully found it quite overwhelming. Doubly so, solo... I really struggled with the trapdoor mission at 0/+1

What am I doing wrong?

do you have all of the enh?

20231027_230335.jpg.7142fcaded23b65d08079d3ab8803954.jpg

^ if you know you know, kupo.

Edited by honoroit
  • Thumbs Down 1

20 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

If you're asking have I got a bunch of Invention IOs, then the answer is no. I have a combination of stock IOs and SOs.

hm, even stock io should do well with the stun cone, fear, sleep, and psi cone layering - damagey wise.

too much incoming damage?

that can be rough in a combo with /psi if youre not using all the fancy enh. especially lvl 20-40s.

dominators in general, that way, very much benefit  from expensive builds that grant sustain theyd not otherwise enjoy.

tough, weave, combat jumping, stealth help.

try to assemble 5x luck of the gambler uniques. they give recharge and def boost.

that and the uniques for health / stamina.

take it from there, as a base set, should you care for such.

if dom and no munee - plant / energy consider, I'd say - for the confuse cone, creepers and ok pet. energy to stay ranged and some kb soft cc. 

really, you can drop 2x prisms and have enough for a panacea unique, or 1.5-2 lotg.

get the ato sets with merits, if you truely are starting from nothing.  might help. do this by buying winter ios. sell for 15m, buy dominator atos for no more than 8-9M each.

it can be trouesome.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 10/25/2023 at 7:57 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

What am I doing wrong?

I assume you are having an issue with Trapdoor himself as the rest is Council, and they should be easy enough with using Psy damage although they do have non-humans so those could be an issue. I would make sure to sprinkle in various procs which do non-psy damage for when you want to solo. Another thing would be using Arcane Bolt and/or the vet attack powers as even at that diff setting they should be effective. Psy damage is either fantastic or practically rubbish. It is why if I would to ever play a Psy based character I would have it have a secondary damage set which wasn't Psy or just team a lot. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

the thing about this toon and trying to best Trapdoor was that I've done it many times in the past on other alts and rarely ever had such difficulty, and none of those were tricked out with IOs or procs. I often go for the Incarnate arc right after dinging 50 just to get it done and make sure I'm qualifying for all the rewards, whever my next path takes me.

This is one of those times when I had great difficulty - and yes, just with trapdoor - (Symphony has a couple of solid holds which are good for Warwolves, and Council generally are no biggie)

I did get it done but I came away feeling very underwhelmed.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I'm telling you man, hovering up in the air, I am a Symphonic, Sonic electronic heartbreaker.  A siren of the skies, raining down orchestral destruction on all of the fools below me.  I am Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries embodied . . . I am she who will rock you.  And my little blue pal Rock-A-Pella; total helper.  I love playing my Symphony Controller, perhaps my favorites of all my controllers (and I have 6 others).  All powers . . . awesome.  And sonic as a secondary . . . secksi.

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Popped my Symph/Storm into a 4/8 Trapdoor and finished in about 7 minutes. Not a great time, but I thought it was respectable. That character isn't soft-capped to anything but is carrying pretty much every damage proc I could squeeze in there while still hitting Perma-Hasten. Not being soft-capped really kills my time (repositioning, etc.).

(summoning LStorms at the top of the 'chutes' and dropping Freezing Rain & Nado and then going to town with the cones feels downright unfair)

Edited by Panache
  • Like 1