So... My First Sentinel...

tidge

A player coming to sentinels for the first time after extensive experience playing other blast sets can't help but to notice that sentinel cones perform noticeably worse and are harder to use than the cones they've been using for years on characters built using other ATs that use blast sets. That observation can quite naturally lead to feelings of disappointment vis a vis sentinel cones. 

It doesn't help that sentinel AT cones perform substantially worse and are harder to use than sentinel targeted AOEs and PbAOEs. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, tidge said:

Frankly: The main issue in my head is that I'm pretty disappointed with the cones (arcs, ranges, max number of targets) in Sentinels. Of course Beam Rifle's Piercing Shot is a special case... I don't blame it for what it is, but it doesn't help the feels. In play, I find I want the next AoE when I am surrounded (i.e. targets are not positioned for a cone) so a PBAoE (or a targeted AoE) would be a better fit for my play style.

I don't have cones on any of my sentinels.  If I'm not in the middle of a spawn, I'm on my way there (lately, using Spring Attack, which is turning out to be really nice for sentinels (melee_damage modifier, so second only to scrappers, and it procs like it was designed solely for the purpose of proccing)).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

• 1 month later
On 9/25/2023 at 12:36 AM, FupDup said:

I guess there's also Decimation, but that doesn't diversify your damage types and it's also unique...Plus another part of my issue was pairing Archery with SR (Nin at least gives a damage boost for the first attack out of stealth). 

It works entirely fine against targets with only average to low lethal resists because Arch has several high DPA attacks, but against something like a Malta titan it slows down real hard. 

This is where /Ninjitsu attacks with -res procs stacked up covers the gap. I have no problem soloing Malta Titans. The real challenge is Minotaurs and Cyclops. Which I like to go solo hunting around Cimeroa.

• 2 months later
On 9/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, Luminara said:

All of my sentinels are scrappers with extra range.  All of them.  I consider it a shameful waste to stay at range if I have damage mitigation and status protection.  I also like as much AoE as I can get, and the extra PBAoEs are often exactly what I need to feel satisfied with a sentinel's performance.

Ninja APP's melee and PBAoE attacks recharge quickly enough to use as part of an attack chain and can be slotted with Achilles' Heel procs.  Neither is mind-blowing, but they're functional and flashy.

Dark APP's melee attack recharges very quickly, and the PBAoE is usable every other cycle of an attack chain.  The -ToHit can help if you need some extra survivability.

Elec APP's Havoc Punch is the old Havoc Punch, with KB, but it hits hard.  Lightning Field is okay, I prefer not to run yet another toggle. 

Ice APP's melee and PBAoE attacks are decent, but their recharge times are a little too long to work into an attack chain.

Fire APP is, as far as I'm concerned, a bust.  Cremate's endurance cost is wrong, and Fire Sword Circle takes too long to animate.

I have Psi on my Rad/Elec now, but the only thing it's bringing to the party is Link Minds... and I really don't need it for that character, I just couldn't find anything else worthwhile.  I'll probably switch to another *PP (considering going back to Elec) when I revisit the character.

The PPPs all have a good melee attack, albeit with a long recharge time, and Mu's is Thunder Strike (so PBAoE), but none of my sentinels need any of the other "utility" powers, or more cones, nor am I interested in pets, so I don't bother with them.  If it weren't for the animation time, I'd spec into Mu more often for Thunder Strike.  Playing a human peacebringer, though, and having to sit through Incandescent Strike missing, has turned me off of that animation permanently.

Is this your new favorite et friend? I remember you in the live forums I think you used to play controllers allot then.

2 hours ago, StarseedWarrior said:

Is this your new favorite et friend?

I do have several level 50+ sentinels, but it's not because I prefer sentinels over other archetypes.  Sentinel blast sets have some interesting variations on otherwise standard powers.  Like dominator Assault sets, they keep the game feeling fresh when I think I've explored all of the possiblities.

2 hours ago, StarseedWarrior said:

I remember you in the live forums I think you used to play controllers allot then.

Anything with Trick Arrows.  I've diversified my interests in the interim.

• Like 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.