So... My First Sentinel...

tidge

I'm still a ways from level 50, so the build isn't quite "done"... certainly not with a final slotting, and I'm still using the 'leveling-up' order of the power picks.

I am finding the Beam Rifle primary to be clunkier on the Sentinel than it is on my completed FF/Beams Defender. I haven't quite put my finger on why I feel this way, but I think the feeling is due to more than just not having level 50 slotting. Some things that are sitting wrong with me, individually or in aggregate:

• The smaller number of possible targets in the AoE attacks.

This is probably what I find the most annoying, as mob(ile)s that aren't initially positioned closely to one another, or move away from other mobs in a spawn lead to a lot of attack inefficiency. This get exacerbated when trying to both spread Disintegration effects and hit new targets that may have picked up Disintegration. I'm used to mobs traveling at warp speed once stunned, but trying for a chain like Distintegrate -> Lancer Shot -> AoE rarely performs how I want because of the animation times and smallish AoE. I have found myself often skipping the use of Lancer Shot... I will admit I don't have that attack well-slotted yet.

• I'm shifting between single-target and AoE more than I prefer, and RNG is a cruel mistress.

The single-target attacks I have are: Single Shot, Disintegrate and Lancer Shot. The AoE attacks are Cutting Beam, Refractor Beam, Piercing Beam, Overcharge. My bad feels are hard to describe, but here goes: I'm almost always sitting at a +90% ToHit against chosen targets. When I miss with a single-target attack, the single-target Streakbreaker guarantees the next single target attack will hit. AoE's slightly confuse matters, as they lead to more ToHit rolls (modulo the smaller AoE).. but they can also target (for Streakbreaker purposes) enemies against which I don't have the same ToHit chance, which moves me to the 'worse' Streakbreaker category. Of course there is some perception bias, but the heavier use of single-target attacks from the /Beam Defender (because it includes a Snipe instead of Refractor Beam) feels like I am seeing less "MISS!" during any given spawn fight. I like Refractor Beam, but I feel like I need to get some more Range in it. I want to believe that level 50 slotting (which also includes global Accuracy and Recharge bonuses) will help here.

• The lack of attacks in the Sentinel secondary (as opposed to having Repulsion Bolt from the Defender FF primary)

Part of this is because the FF/Beam Defender almost uses Repulsion Bolt as the opening attack against the hardest target in a spawn. The solo-play opening salvo for the Defender is usually Repulsion Bolt -> Disintegrate -> Lancer Shot -> AoE. In contrast, the opening chain for the (not-yet-level 50) Sentinel is often Vulnerability-> Disintegrate -> Lancer Shot -> AoE. I find Repulsion Bolt does a LOT for the Beam Rifle set:

• I have it slotted for Knockdown, keeping the target in its original location in a spawn. See discussion above about mobiles moving away from a spawn.
  • It has 20% -Resistance (in PvE). This is different than Sentinel's Vulnerability. It is inferior in terms of level shifts, and requires a ToHit of course. It is ends up being more available than Vulnerability.
  • It falls into the Single-Target 'streakbreaker' discussion above... I find I generally don't care/notice if one-of-the-three opening ST attacks from the Defender miss before the AoE.
  • It offers (a little) Smashing damage as opposed to Energy/Energy/Energy/Bacon, Eggs, Sausage, %damage and Energy (but without the Bacon, Eggs and Sausage)

I apologize if these observations come across as scatter-brained, if I am missing somethings (obvious or subtle) please let me know. I'll be sticking with the character as I want to see how it shakes out with a level 50 build.

• Like 2

One playstyle change I am experimenting with (I still don't have a level 50 build, but I have more Global recharge) is to open with this attack chain (especially against enemies resistant to Energy): Disintegrate -> Refractor Beam. After this, I usually have the coordinated attention of most of a spawn... which often means they are clustered (or I am in their faces) I can either followup with Lancer Shot against the original target or switch targets and adjust strategy on the fly.

This feels somewhat sloppy, but it is slightly less frustrating then missing either Disintegrate or Lancer Shot, and even if the original target critter scampers away from any buddies that might be hit from the AoE, it feels less like a core strategy has been flummoxed.

I was noodling over what else is different for Sentinels in Beam Rifle. I suppose what is foremost on my mind ATM is that the other sets get a T7 Snipe (that can spread Disintegration) whereas the Sentinels get the smallish AoE (that cannot spread).... I came to the Beam Rifle Sentinel partially because I liked how the Disintegration was spreading via the Defender's ST attacks.

I have a few BR sentinels (5 iirc). My routine depends on the target. If there's a big group and the nuke is up, that starts things. If not, I usually disintegrate the boss, and then refractor beam and cutting beam. By then it should be down to bosses. All my BR sents (OK, all my sents) are perma hasten so the nuke recharges in about 22 seconds so I don't need to wait much for it. For single target (hard ones like AV), I do disintegrate-charged-lancer-charged repeat. This chains smoothly. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:17 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

I usually over-build my primary set at the expense of my secondary set. I've found it's a wasted effort to build a tanky Sent; I'll overkill fast enough solo and in teams even moreso.

This is how I built the one Sentinel I play the most. It's a scrappy Sonic/Fire/Psi procbomber. I'm always impressed by how well it can dump damage (Inherent -> Aim -> Screech -> Mind Probe -> Dominate is a very hurt +4 boss). It takes a little planning to solo +4x8, but the output and survivability are just enough to be doable. It's even been a decent help on 4*!

I'll always recommend Psi epic just for the amount of offensive power you can pull from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

want more sentinels?

rad/fire.  stacking pbaoe dots

pistol/bio.  stacking toxic damage

elec/elec.  both t8 end saps causes a lot of Shocked! damage and two 10 target aoes feels nice

psi/wp.  its ok, long lingering psi blast animations is kinda eating away at me tho

rifle/fire.  kinda weird, skipped burn.

water/bio.  just minmax damage as it also has plenty of aoe

water/fire.  same thing

Rad/Rad: Lots of PBAOE spam, very blappy

Elec/Energy: Similar to Elec/Elec but with defense instead of resistance

Water/Invuln: Very tanky but the ST damage was kinda pants (partly my fault for not proc'ing it)

Beam/Bio: All around good damage and very tanky, mine was Crysis themed (Bio armor is literally perfect for the Crysis Nanosuit)

AR/Fire: Also did this one, was mostly fine but Fire is kinda squishy for my tastes

I'll give an anti-endorsement to Archery because it doesn't have the AOE of its other AT counterparts (the nuke normalization hurt it) and the ST is also pants against enemies with high lethal resist. And the lack of secondary effects means you can't lean on procs as much to fix it. So either take it with Bio to shore up the damage or lean heavily into the epic pools. 

Assault Rifle doesn't suffer the nuke normalization problem as much because you actually get AIM (unlike other ATs) and there's so much excessive AOE in the set that it's hardly noticeable.  

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

On 9/23/2023 at 9:40 PM, FupDup said:

I'll give an anti-endorsement to Archery because it doesn't have the AOE of its other AT counterparts (the nuke normalization hurt it) and the ST is also pants against enemies with high lethal resist. And the lack of secondary effects means you can't lean on procs as much to fix it. So either take it with Bio to shore up the damage or lean heavily into the epic pools. 

As someone who mains an Archery/Ninja/Ninja, you're leaving proc options on the table if you're complaining about the lethal damage. The nuke is not bad, especially if it has the 20% stealth damage boost from Ninjitsu. I can't stress enough that Ninjitsu is solid and gives you lots of options as a toolkit.

I'm working on a DP/Ninja/Mace now. I'm taking the melee, the Coordinated Accuracy toggle, and the hold. Oddly I'm skipping bulletrain and suppressive fire (the devs basically ruined it for Sents anyway).

My First Sentinel (Beam Rifle/Energy Aura) hit 50, here is my first pass at a level 50 respec:

Spoiler

Primary Power Set: Beam Rifle

Secondary Power Set: Energy Aura

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Leadership

Ancillary Pool: Leaping

------------

Level 1:                 Kinetic Shield    

(A) Kismet - Accuracy +6%: Level 30

(*) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Shield Wall - Defense: Level 50+5

Level 1:                 Single Shot         

(A) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward- Recharge/Chance of Absorb

Level 2:                 Cutting Beam    

(A) Ragnarok- Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok- Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok- Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok- Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok- Damage/Recharge Level 50+5

Level 4:                 Flight    

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range/Endurance

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Run Speed, Jump, Flight Speed, Range

Level 6:                 Disintegrate      

(A) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Opportunity Strikes - Recharge/Chance of Opportunity

Level 8:                 Aim       

(A) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Recharge/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Recharge/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - To Hit Buff/Endurance

(*) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance of Build Up

Level 10:              Energize              

(A) Preventive Medicine - Heal

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/Recharge

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Recharge

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Recharge/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 12:              Power Shield    

(A) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 14:              Lancer Shot       

(A) Apocalypse - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage (Negative): Level 50

Level 16:              Entropy Shield  

(A) IO Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 18:              Refractor Beam               

(A) Hami-O Centriole (Damage/Range): Level 53

(*) D-Sync Guidance (Accuracy/Range): Level 53

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

(*) Shield Breaker - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance of Damage (Negative)

Level 20:              Power Armor    

(A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Recharge

(*) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

(*) IO Health: Level 50+5

Level 22:              Piercing Beam  

(A) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Annihilation - Damage/Recharge

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Annihilation - Chance of Res Debuff

Level 24:              Repelling Force

(A) IO Defense: Level 50+5

(*) IO Defense: Level 50+5

Level 26:              Overcharge

(A) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Javelin Volley - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50+5

Level 28:              Kinetic Damping              

(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

(*) Gladiator's Armor - Resistance: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

(*) Aegis - 5% Psi Resist / 20% Mezz Resist

Level 30:              Maneuvers        

(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

(*) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/Recharge

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Recharge

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 32:              Power Drain      

(A) D-Sync Conduit (End Mod/Recharge): Level 53

Level 35:              Combat Jumping             

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed

Level 38:              Assault

(A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 41:              Overload             

Level 44:              Hover   

Level 47:              Evasive Manuevers        

Level 49:              Vengeance        

Level 1: Brawl    

(A) Empty

Level 1: Sprint   

Level 1: Vulnerability     

Level 2: Rest      

(A) Interrupt Reduction IO: Level 50

Level 2: Athletic Run      

Level 2: Swift     

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2: Health  

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2: Stamina               

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance of +End

(*) Performance Shifter - EndMod

(*) Power Transfer - Chance of Heal

------------

This was NOT the ordering of powers (or slotting choices) while leveling... beyond Superiors/VRs... as there were some globals I wanted earlier in the build.

Energize is on auto-fire.

One thing I did here that I generally don't recommend was going heavy with %damage in Overcharge (the AoE nuke), but I was motivated by:

• Cutting Beam felt like an inferior %damage power (mostly due to the small number of potential targets), and
  • I wanted to mix up different damage types over as many targets as possible. See also Refractor Beam choices.

I'm somewhat uncertain about the Endurance consumption (and recovery) profile. Because of mission rewards, this character has some Endurance/Recovery boosts... but I found myself rarely needing to use Power Drain, such that I delayed picking it and pulled a slot from it. I added that slot to Power Armor to boost HP. I may pull the D-Sync and replace it with a boosted EndMod piece. (Non-scaling) Resistances are generally around 30%, with Psi the lowest at 21%. I could boost Toxic/Psi with the last Ragnarok piece, but I felt boosting the HP in Power Armor was a smarter choice.

When I have all the toggles (up to level 35) running, the "standing still" typed Defenses are something like:

Smashing/Lethal: 40%

Fire/Cold: 42%

Energy: 47.6%

Negative: 38.7%

Psi: 22%

Toxic: 17.5% (the only type lower than each positional)

I was surprised at how well the T9 Overload works. I found myself using it in circumstances when I got into hairy situations but that I could extract myself from (via pew-pew) within the 3 minute active time. With only the global Recharge (around 110%) it has a somewhat reasonable downtime. I only delayed it because I felt the other powers offered more general utility.

Edited by tidge
some spellzing

Sentinels can be thought of as well armored blasters with lower burst damage, but often with comparable or better sustained damage across all spawns than a blaster. Spawns tend to consistently melt quite well when a nuke is up every 25-ish seconds or less and there are also 2-3 quicker recharging AOEs available. And, BR for sentinels facilitates that role by providing good AOE (3 in the set, if you don't mind cones, plus perhaps one more AOE from a mastery). If you focus more on spawn deletion as a goal via the regular use of AOEs and the occasional use of single target skills on leftover bosses and lieutenants, then you're really playing more like an AOE blaster. 

Spawn deletion through relentless AOE and debuffing hard targets with vulnerability may be the key roles that sentinels play particularly well. Also, being able to dive into combat head first in almost all situations, surviving almost any alpha thrown at your sentinel along the way, can sometimes help a team go faster. 

Single target plinking is for ATs afraid of drawing a lot of aggro. That is not how a sentinel needs to be played in the clear majority of situations. Bring on the aggro, with more aggro almost always being better because it means less fire directed at the rest of the team. 

My own bias is that I'm drawn to characters that can successfully run one build and handle a wide variety of content, such as being exemp'd down for Posi TFs, running 4* content, iTrials, +4x8 "Master of" runs, speedrunning TFs, and being on PUG teams that are composed only of inexperienced players driving bad builds. A reasonably well built sentinel can deal with all of that, so I'm drawn to them. Opinions can reasonably vary, of course. 

53 minutes ago, BazookaTwo said:

As someone who mains an Archery/Ninja/Ninja, you're leaving proc options on the table if you're complaining about the lethal damage.

The complaint was about the ST damage. The only damage proc options available for the ST attacks are Apocalypse (lvl 50 + unique) and Gladiator's Javelin.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

5 minutes ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Single target plinking is for ATs afraid of drawing a lot of aggro. That is not how a sentinel needs to be played in the clear majority of situations. Bring on the aggro, with more aggro almost always being better because it means less fire directed at the rest of the team.

This play style is where I landed, both for solo and team play. Once the character had strong survivability AND had good recharge for the (smallish) AoE, I found that diving into spawns (and dragging survivors to other spawn) to be a more optimal method of play than just shooting at range.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Uun said:

The complaint was about the ST damage. The only damage proc options available for the ST attacks are Apocalypse (lvl 50 + unique) and Gladiator's Javelin.

I guess there's also Decimation, but that doesn't diversify your damage types and it's also unique...Plus another part of my issue was pairing Archery with SR (Nin at least gives a damage boost for the first attack out of stealth). 

It works entirely fine against targets with only average to low lethal resists because Arch has several high DPA attacks, but against something like a Malta titan it slows down real hard. 

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

You may end up liking electrifying fences from mu mastery quite a bit more than cutting beam. Electrifying fences has a quicker cast time and much better DPA, as well as having a higher target cap and being easier to use. Immobilize is a helpful secondary effect, as well. 

Sometimes getting just one more good AOE into a build can change how it feels to play it in a very noticeable way. FWIW, and in case it helps.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, EnjoyTheJourney said:

You may end up liking electrifying fences from mu mastery quite a bit more than cutting beam. Electrifying fences has a quicker cast time and much better DPA, as well as having a higher target cap and being easier to use. Immobilize is a helpful secondary effect, as well. 

Chain Fences from Electricity Mastery has a 16 target cap (vs 10), and a much bigger 30 ft radius (vs 10), and an 8 second recharge (vs 20). The only thing Electrifying fences has over that is damage. Choose your poison.

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed a couple of things about my build:

Power Armor: The second slot of IO Health 50+5 is only providing just under 52 extra HP... and this build is already at the Max HP cap with Accolades. This means I can can do something like:

• use the sixth slot for a Resistance or Health mule piece
  • opt for more/different set bonuses (e.g. Panacea's 2-piece Recovery bonus in PvE)
  • move the slot elsewhere

Power Drain: I swapped out the D-Sync (EndMod/Recharge) for an IO EndMod 50+5. I only lost about 4 seconds on the recharge. Frankly, this looks like it could be a skippable power, at least for this build.

I suppose I could recommend replacing Power Drain with Hasten, move the 6th slot from Power Armor into Hasten and slot it with 2x IO RechargeTime 50+5. With the already in-build recharge, Hasten should be perma.

With the realization that (with accolades) my Beam/Energy Aura Sentinel was above the HP cap, I moved the 6th slot from Power Armor to Cutting Beam. This became the 6th piece of the Ragnarok set (%Knockdown) for extra Toxic/Psi/Mezz Resistance. Usually I don't sweat that specific bonus; in this case:

• Toxic/Psi Defenses were the weakest, and Positionals are also not good for this build
  • The AoE of Cutting Beam is among a few reasons why using a %damage piece wouldn't help in that power
  • With the power choices... I didn't have another place where I could get a set bonus that I felt would make as much impact.

For the last point, the two other options I had considered with that Enhancement slot:

1. Add it to a travel power, for the Winter's Gift Slow Resist (to go from 20% to 40%)
  2. Add it to Health, for the Numina's 10% Recovery/20% Regeneration.
  3. Add a Recharge IO piece to Overload Overcharge.

If I really wanted more Regeneration, I could have 2-slotted the Numina's set with a Heal/Absorb plus the Global... for this build, in Power Armor... this is a build choice I often make with Tankers. I just wasn't feeling the need. The times when I probably could use more Regeneration are usually the times when I'd pop Overload Overcharge, and then have to watch the timers for both duration and recharge. I am having trouble seeing how boosting either of those two features would noticeably change my playstyle.

There were other options of course, but I felt that these were the top contenders to the additional Toxic/Psi/Mezz resistances.

Spoiler

------------

(A) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Recharge/Chance of Absorb

(A) Ragnarok - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown: Level 50

Level 6:                 Disintegrate      

Level 8:                 Aim       

(A) IO EndMod: Level 50+5

(A) Empty

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

------------

Edited by tidge
confused my "Overs"!
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tidge said:

With the realization that (with accolades) my Beam/Energy Aura Sentinel was above the HP cap, I moved the 6th slot from Power Armor to Cutting Beam. This became the 6th piece of the Ragnarok set (%Knockdown) for extra Toxic/Psi/Mezz Resistance. Usually I don't sweat that specific bonus; in this case:

• Toxic/Psi Defenses were the weakest, and Positionals are also not good for this build
  • The AoE of Cutting Beam is among a few reasons why using a %damage piece wouldn't help in that power
  • With the power choices... I didn't have another place where I could get a set bonus that I felt would make as much impact.

For the last point, the two other options I had considered with that Enhancement slot:

1. Add it to a travel power, for the Winter's Gift Slow Resist (to go from 20% to 40%)
  2. Add it to Health, for the Numina's 10% Recovery/20% Regeneration.
  3. Add a Recharge IO piece to Overcharge.

If I really wanted more Regeneration, I could have 2-slotted the Numina's set with a Heal/Absorb plus the Global... for this build, in Power Armor... this is a build choice I often make with Tankers. I just wasn't feeling the need. The times when I probably could use more Regeneration are usually the times when I'd pop Overcharge, and then have to watch the timers for both duration and recharge. I am having trouble seeing how boosting either of those two features would noticeably change my playstyle.

There were other options of course, but I felt that these were the top contenders to the additional Toxic/Psi/Mezz resistances.

Hide contents

------------

(A) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Damage/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

(*) Superior Sentinel’s Ward - Recharge/Chance of Absorb

(A) Ragnarok - Damage: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Damage/Recharge Level 50+5

(*) Ragnarok - Chance for Knockdown: Level 50

Level 6:                 Disintegrate      

Level 8:                 Aim       

(A) IO EndMod: Level 50+5

(A) Empty

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

------------

I would add more recharge to Overload. Having it faster seems of more interest though in solo I find the extra recharge does not help as much since in my experience Sentinels take longer than 30 seconds to finish moping a group. But still, it's the principle of the thing when even ED recharge still has the procs having max chance of going off.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Sometimes getting just one more good AOE into a build can change how it feels to play it in a very noticeable way. FWIW, and in case it helps.

I'm a bit of a partisan of Soul Tentacles from Soul Mastery. It has the highest damage (52 base) of the PPP AOE cone options available. It does have lower DPAS, but I don't tend to worry about that as much with AOEs. 

I appreciate the discussion on Patron/Epic Cones... I won't be taking any of them on my Beam Rifle Sentinel!

As I've written (or hinted at): I won't have the slots... or would have to make sacrifices on several powers... to be able to meaningfully slot another attack. It's not impossible (cut back on the Travel slotting, give up 6th pieces) but I rather like the QoL I'm getting from the existing choices.

Frankly: The main issue in my head is that I'm pretty disappointed with the cones (arcs, ranges, max number of targets) in Sentinels. Of course Beam Rifle's Piercing Shot is a special case... I don't blame it for what it is, but it doesn't help the feels. In play, I find I want the next AoE when I am surrounded (i.e. targets are not positioned for a cone) so a PBAoE (or a targeted AoE) would be a better fit for my play style.

Not specific to Sentinels: When I find myself thinking about trying to put a Cone attack into a build (any AT) I almost always consider a version of the character where I can work Wall of Force (ideally before level 20) from the Force of Will pool into the character. The arc is huge; the power accepts some decent %damage. I have many characters where a cone attacks was a primary reason for taking the Epic/Patron, in many cases I prefer getting the cone attack much earlier!

You're far from alone in finding sentinel cones disappointing. The extent of the performance and ease-of-use gap between sentinel cones vs other kinds of sentinel AOEs makes the cones stand out as exceptionally weak performers and also bothersome to use. 

FWIW, for me the power slot assigned to a sentinel cone in any sentinel power set is effectively a "blank space" and that "blank space" always gets filled in with a different power.

As one piece of good news there are patron / epic targeted AOEs and PbAOEs. They have 10 target maximums and they don't all suck.