Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

It is, perhaps, a bit of a stretch to file this in this forum, but as Godzilla's often been called a hero, I'll make the pitch for it.

New series Monarch: Legacy of Monsters

Kurt Russell, Wyatt Russell (John Walker/USAgent in current MCU), Christopher Heyerdahl (a favorite of mine from several shows including Stargate: Atlantis and Sanctuary)

and John Goodman footage at 1:31, so it looks like it is definitely tied to Kong: Skull Island.

• Like 1

Being a huge fan of Godzilla, I cant wait for this

Only thing that scares me is AppleTV

Every original show I’ve watched, started really strong but went downhill by mid season.  Usually by the end of the season, I’m mad that I watched it (happened so often that I cancelled by subscription)

The only exception was the first season of Ted Lasso - although it did go downhill after that, and the final season was pretty bad.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've actually never tapped into AppleTV to get a sense of it.  I might actually try it out with this show, but your concerns @Ghost are noted.

I keep getting offered free or discounted trials, but there's nothing essential enough to merit yet another damn streaming service. The offering does feel very Apple: shiny, very cerebral, highbrow, neat, big star power and endorsements... and reassuringly expensive.

Ted Lasso - which doesn't quite fit that mould - is their only show I would know and name as an Apple series, or that my family have talked about / heard about / engineered matches on FIFA23 against Wrexham for. None of which are my kinda thing - though all credit to their writers for not taking the easy path out of the series. 

But maybe they need to take more risks with the brand to pull a wider audience?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 10/14/2023 at 12:14 AM, Ghost said:

Only thing that scares me is AppleTV

19 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've actually never tapped into AppleTV to get a sense of it.

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The offering does feel very Apple: shiny, very cerebral, highbrow, neat, big star power and endorsements... and reassuringly expensive.

Newest resident in the house brought his Apple+ sub to the table, but I haven't tapped into it yet. A good friend of mine had high praise for Foundation - which is rare for him as he's quite particular about his Sci-Fi. I think there were a couple other series on the service that garnered some my interest, but I've long since forgotten.

Trailer looks interesting enough, if a bit standard. Not sure if I'm down for Serious Business Kurt Russell. Need a bit more Snake Plisken/Jake Burton in that character for my taste. 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

11 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

Newest resident in the house brought his Apple+ sub to the table, but I haven't tapped into it yet. A good friend of mine had high praise for Foundation - which is rare for him as he's quite particular about his Sci-Fi. I think there were a couple other series on the service that garnered some my interest, but I've long since forgotten.

Trailer looks interesting enough, if a bit standard. Not sure if I'm down for Serious Business Kurt Russell. Need a bit more Snake Plisken/Jake Burton in that character for my taste. 😉

I know nothing of this "Foundation".  Is it in any way related to the works of Isaac Asimov?

I've seen Kurt in dramatic roles before, such as Whitey, the struggling kid of the poor town drunk in Disney's dramedy Follow Me Boys.  I'm used to him playing both ends of the spectrum.

46 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I know nothing of this "Foundation".  Is it in any way related to the works of Isaac Asimov?

Yup. I'm not familiar with the books though, but my buddy is quite fond of them and gave the Apple+ version a rare nod of a approval. If you will all permit the OT diversion ...

I didn't realize Jared Harris was in it; first time I'm watching a trailer for it actually. I'll have to bump it up the list: he was just as fantastic in his few scenes in The Expanse as he was in Fringe. Also fairly sure I saw a shot late in the trailer with the Beekeeping Villain from The Peripheral. Don't know much about her or her name, but she was exquisite in that role - I'm down to see more things with her in them.

To swing things back, mostly, on topic of Godzilla things ...

... this is also happening, and I'm looking forward to it:

46 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I've seen Kurt in dramatic roles before, such as Whitey, the struggling kid of the poor town drunk in Disney's dramedy Follow Me Boys.  I'm used to him playing both ends of the spectrum.

I'm sure I've seen him play something without his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, but I'm struggling to remember what it was. No doubt he can pull it off, just not sure if I am ready for it. The two aforementioned roles are near and dear to my heart. 😄

Edited by InvaderStych
notes

22 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

I'm sure I've seen him play something without his tongue firmly planted in his cheek, but I'm struggling to remember what it was. No doubt he can pull it off, just not sure if I am ready for it. The two aforementioned roles are near and dear to my heart. 😄

Miracle, The Thing and Tombstone are the 3 that come to mind for me

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later

Big Godzilla fan and very much looking forward to seeing this.

Ss for Apple+ program I must say I enjoy bunch of shows. Silo and Foundation were great; See is also entertaining though I need to watch the last season. Yes while season 3 of Ted Lasso was not as strong, over all I very much enjoyed the series (huge soccer fan).

Though if it was not for MLS I would cancel my subscription and treat like Netflix which is only subscribe every so often for a month at a time. 

• 4 weeks later
On 10/18/2023 at 12:46 AM, Ghost said:

Miracle, The Thing and Tombstone are the 3 that come to mind for me

Kurt's not always had the best of luck with the roles, so it's nice to see him having yet another renaissance.

And while  I love a good movie, sometimes I'm happy with a box of popcorn and a terrible one.

Now check this out, one time. Thangyallver'much.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

Ep 1. of Monarch has captured my interest. Love the "health and safety" Godzilla signage all over Tokyo. Fantastic bit of set dressing on their part.

Mostly setup for the main cast and some backstory bits from "1959." Some footage from the Golden Gate scene in the Godzilla movie with one of the leading ladies from the show in context - I don't remember her from the movie but that doesn't mean anything as I've only seen it once a decade ago, lol. Haven't seen either of the Kong or the G vs. K movie either, but I might give them a watch over the winter break before continuing the series.

Tangent for @Techwright since there isn't a thread for it specifically:

Foundation was a fantastic watch, definitely recommend. I have no context for divergence from the books, but my understanding is quite a bit. Lee Pace (Ronan the Accuser from GotG 1) makes a wonderful baddie, and the rest of the cast are quite good in their roles as well. I have a couple complaints about the use of/sudden removal of Plot Armor when it comes to Epic Spacing Scenes - but The Expanse spoiled me on realism/consistency in Epic Spacing Scenes - so I let it slide.

• Thumbs Up 1