Best use the different kinds of merits and other rare salvage

So many different types of merits (hero, astral, empyrean, etcc...). I'm not even sure in know what they all can used for and what the best use for each type is.

I find doing a couple rounds if AE solo relaxing, so I can get my salvage and random rolls using AE tickets rather than merits, so I think those are not a good use of merits?

You can buy specific recipes with merits, so it's a way to not rely on influence to get that LoTG or whatever?

Purples are still rare enough that I think using merits is still a good way to get them?

Same for ATOs?

What about astral merits? Use them for rares too or are they useful for incarnates? I find that I get my needed salvage from running TFs or incarnate trials, but I have only one T4, maybe getting the very rare with merits is best?

At the moment the best use of merits is to convert them into either Enhancement Boosters (5 merits each) or Enhancement Converters (3 per merit). These give you about 300K inf per merit (minus market fees) which is better than anything else, including purples (most purples are worth about 20 million each). So in general trade your merits for Enhancements Converters or Boosters and use the inf from that to buy the enhancements you need (prices fluctuate so it's worth checking the auction house to see which is more profitable at the moment)

For Astral and Empyrean Merits you'll want to use them for your Incarnate powers. Basically Astral merits can be converted into Emp Merits at a 5:1 ratio or converted into 4 threads each. Emp merits can either be used to get threads (20 per) to make common or uncommon components or traded for rare components (8 merits) or very rare components (35 merits I think, something like that).

For other merits: Hero and Villain merits don't really exist anymore. Vanguard merits can be converted to reward merits at a 30:1 ratio.

Defender Smash!

The best use of merits is to buy converters and use those converters to turn low demand/low cost enhancers in to higher demand ones.

Selling converters usually nets you about 300k per merit spent.

Converter roulette will usually average 500-1500k per merit spent. I have never had 10 merits worth of converters bring me less than 5mil profit.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

astral merits aren't really useful for anything, considering how rapidly you get threads on homecoming. Just convert'em into regular merits to use on converters or whatever else.

you will want to save your emp merits to buy the rare/very rare incarnate crafting bits though, cause otherwise those cost a lot of time/inf.

you can still get hero/villain merits, but they are no longer really used for anything except mailing merits between characters if you want to do that for some reason (easier to send one H-merit than 50 regular ones)

you can still get hero/villain merits, but they are no longer really used for anything except mailing merits between characters if you want to do that for some reason (easier to send one H-merit than 50 regular ones)

When changing mains I did this.  Though it was the best thing since I had a few run-ins with sending 100+ emails full of RMs.  This is probably the best use for them.

~Everlasting~

The Emperor of Mankind - Titan Weapon/Willpower Brute

Sigismund - Illusion/Radiation Controller

astral merits aren't really useful for anything, considering how rapidly you get threads on homecoming. Just convert'em into regular merits to use on converters or whatever else.

You can convert Astral Merits into Empyrean Merits. I think that's a better option unless you're already T4 incarnate.

Defender Smash!

The best use of merits is to buy converters and use those converters to turn low demand/low cost enhancers in to higher demand ones.

Converter roulette will usually average 500-1500k per merit spent. I have never had 10 merits worth of converters bring me less than 5mil profit.

I've definitely used 10-12 merits and still not ended up with something I could sell for 5M, but perhaps I'm choosing the wrong things to convert.  Or just have bad luck, more than once there have been only 3 possibilities, and I cycle back and forth between the two unprofitable ones 4-5 times in a row. . .

Selling converters also requires a lot less time spent researching what enhancements to convert than converting enhancements, so depends on what you like to do with your time in game. 

I've definitely used 10-12 merits and still not ended up with something I could sell for 5M, but perhaps I'm choosing the wrong things to convert.  Or just have bad luck, more than once there have been only 3 possibilities, and I cycle back and forth between the two unprofitable ones 4-5 times in a row. . .

Selling converters also requires a lot less time spent researching what enhancements to convert than converting enhancements, so depends on what you like to do with your time in game.

It's pretty random as far as I can tell. I'll sometimes get the rare I want four times in a row, then other times I'll burn through 40 converters on a single enhancement. Based on the 3-4 times I've actually tracked 5-10 enhancements at once, it seems to average 9-17 converters for me to get the specific one I want. This is with Numina's.

One thing to consider is the cost of what you start with.

I was looking ofr a red forune set yesterday (to use for real, not convert) and it seems the price of any defense set, even yellow ones, have gone up quite a bit, probably from people trying to build LoTGs. I have played converter roulette myself to build LoTGs (for my own consumption, not selling, but I seem to need 5 per toon, I'm addicted to speed). the worse luck I've had starting from a defense enhancment was 45 enhancers (I'm stuborn and kept going). the best I've done is 1. Never looked at the average.

Going from Doctored Wound or Similar to Numina should use less, there are a less alternatives to hit the right set.