Pushing the boundaries with character concept - help appreciated

Scarlet Shocker

5 minutes ago, Snarky said:

I have tried Stalkers.  Unfortunately soloing I find Blasters kill much faster at “normal difficulty”.  By the time a Stalker cycles through stealth and AS and goes into hide and and and.   A Blaster just waits for their big AoEs to rech then finishes with hard hitting ST.  At any level range.  

I've found the best approach is to use the "quick AS" while mid-combat, with the special stalker crit effect at 3 stacks.  I also leverage the ATIO that gives their buildup a chance to instantly recharge, so I keep it on autofire.  Regardless, play what you love - I was just going with the concept of the OP...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Snarky said:

Doms do not mature until the build is complete.  Perma dom, etc.  unfortunately in current CoH Meta this makes them always a B or less Archetype choice.  Because once the build is “complete” and they come into their own they are in Incarnate land where a Corr or Blaster is just a better Archetype.   I do not know what a Crupper is.  A Scrapper of some ilk?   Those mature fast (all melee do) and then become gradually less useful as tou head to endgame.  Although never a bad choice.  Neither is Dom, just Dom never has a level range where it is “wowza”.  Most Melee ATs and powersets cycle through a level range where they feel OP.  

Perhaps in this instance the fact that she's going from Dom > Brute that will "tell the story better"  but yes I've heard here and elsewhere that Doms are lagging behind as an AT generally. Perhaps that's why there are so few about

Crupper = Corruptor

• Banjo 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Perhaps in this instance the fact that she's going from Dom > Brute that will "tell the story better"  but yes I've heard here and elsewhere that Doms are lagging behind as an AT generally. Perhaps that's why there are so few about

Crupper = Corruptor

Oh.  A Crupper, erm Corruptor, is potentially an S class.  And Ice/Cold is one of the S builds.  A Dom will just not match that in CoH.  Sorry.  Now, an Ice Ice Tank is a uniquely powerful creature.  It grabs and holds agro like almost nothing else in the game.  A marvelous easy thing to run. A semi clearing traffic cones.  But an Ice Dom?    Uh….  Maybe head over to Dom forum for ideas and help.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Oh.  A Crupper, erm Corruptor, is potentially an S class.  And Ice/Cold is one of the S builds.  A Dom will just not match that in CoH.  Sorry.  Now, an Ice Ice Tank is a uniquely powerful creature.  It grabs and holds agro like almost nothing else in the game.  A marvelous easy thing to run. A semi clearing traffic cones.  But an Ice Dom?    Uh….  Maybe head over to Dom forum for ideas and help.  

The concept here is more important than the actual efficacy of the toon. It actually helps in one sense that the main character is a weaker alt than the alter-ego's alt, if that makes sense. The tough bastard only comes out when things are... tough. I'm having fun playing all of them so far!

• Like 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Don't forget glass and crystals can bend, reflect and diffuse (or split) LIGHT.

With that in mind look at set that can mimic light,...ILLUSION CONTROLL,..RAD BLAST(recolored),.maybe SPINES, PEACEBRINGER is really close.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2024 at 3:19 AM, Lazarus said:

Don't forget glass and crystals can bend, reflect and diffuse (or split) LIGHT.

With that in mind look at set that can mimic light,...ILLUSION CONTROLL,..RAD BLAST(recolored),.maybe SPINES, PEACEBRINGER is really close.

That is an excellent point.

I had considered those... I haven't really enjoyed Kheldians much so I excluded that from my thinking, and I've had a few Illusion characters which led me to want to try something else. Rad is a very solid option once recoloured but I'm working on completion of a Mind/Rad dom currently so wanted to avoid another. I have gone for a Spines/Ice brute as part of this project and it certainly looks the part but I've not had much opportunity to test its mettle, though I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

No, I'd prefer not to play two sets the same. I could have one set in common but I'd prefer to play something variable... since I wrote this I've been thinking that The Glass Fox might do something like refract light - so there's an opportunity for multiple colours there but I'm struggling to think off the top of my head what might give that effect? Rad with lots of colour work in the costume creator?

Maybe The Glass Fox is an illusion controller with glass apparitions, secondary cold - and now that I've caught up reading, I see its not a great fit for you

Edited by victusfate
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, victusfate said:

Maybe The Glass Fox is an illusion controller with glass apparitions, secondary cold - and now that I've caught up reading, I see its not a great fit for you

Yes there is a case for reflections especially now that costumes can reflect the PC costume. Perhaps some time in the future... this idea does seem to be growing an inordinate number of legs which leads to... millipedes!

2 hours ago, Azari said:

Crystal stone controller

I thnk it might work but it'd be necessary to be selective about powers. Certainly the pet can look very glassy

I have run into an issue on one iteration of The Glass Fox. She's the Ice/Ice crupper and she is dynamite - very potent and potentially quite tanky when I get my controls in the right order... BUT....

She is very very end heavy. I've noticed that seems to be a common denominator with Ice based powers, they are strong but they all suck end badly.

Also, I've gotten to level 40 and I'm looking at an APP/PPP and there is no ice. Obviously glass is the concept and there is no good power to represent that. Ice isn't available and I've struggled to think what fits well. I've mostly settled for Mace Mastery which gives a very powerful shield and a pretty ok and impressive pet with the handwave justification that "she stole it from Arachnos" which while I can live with that is unsatisfying.

I'd looked at Power Mastery and also Psychic Mastery but Power seems... well it solves a lot of End problems but doesn't offer many other benefits and Psychic does give a useful resist bonus and a confuse but nothing that fits well thematically.

Overall it's proving to be quite unsatisfying and I'm struggling. Suggestions please!

I understand that you are blah on Sentinels. However, an ice/ice corruption  paired with an stone/ice sentinel may fit your need. Sentinels imo are great ATs to play, a little bit blaster and a little bit scrapperish.  I recently made a water/ice sentinel and she isn't a tank but she holds her own. Turn the stone attacks so they are crystal and you have a toon that throws glass, while lookin like glass. Also, sentinels get a ice set for epics.

Give it a try, you may be surprised. 

@Etched

4 hours ago, Etched said:

I understand that you are blah on Sentinels. However, an ice/ice corruption  paired with an stone/ice sentinel may fit your need. Sentinels imo are great ATs to play, a little bit blaster and a little bit scrapperish.  I recently made a water/ice sentinel and she isn't a tank but she holds her own. Turn the stone attacks so they are crystal and you have a toon that throws glass, while lookin like glass. Also, sentinels get a ice set for epics.

Give it a try, you may be surprised. 

@Etched

Thanks @Etched but your suggestion doesn't solve my problem. I'm going well with all variants and I have no impulse to change (I've got 2 versions each of Vitric Vixen and The Glass Fox) - I'm not looking to build more as part of this experience. I'm just needing help with an epic pool that reflects the idea that her powers are glass.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Can you post a build?  I might have some suggestions on slotting and power picks if I can see the whole thing.

Working on one but this is more of a philosophical/thematic question rather than a build specific issue.

On just theme, other than the Scorpion Shield from Mace you mentioned, I would give Power another look.

Power Build Up is an awesome power for anyone, but especially ice/ice corrupter.  It's a combination of Build Up, so more +damage and +tohit, AND Power Boost, which boosts all mezzes, tohit, slows, defense, and other stuff.  You have two holds in ice blast and just about everything adds slow to your opponents.  Unfortunately, it doesn't boost your ally shields as they also have resistance and that ends up negating the boost.  But it would boost maneuvers, combat jump, weave, etc.  https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=epic.power_mastery.power_build_up&at=corruptor

Temp Invulnerability is a fairly basic smash/lethal armor.  But you can add the two unique IOs to add another 6% defense as well.  Force of Nature is essentially Unstoppable from Invulnerability so it has the big crash at the end.  Some people hate that, others don't mind.

Alternatively, the only "ice" powers would be in Leviathan - Hibernate and Shark Skin.  While Shark Skin doesn't sound particularly icy or glassy. it provides smash/lethal/cold resistance and can be used with minimal effects to just be a slight aura.

• Finland 1

You've given me great input into the Power set @Bionic_Flea thanks. That's come close to selling it.

I would probably have chosen Leviathan if they included Bile Spray in it simply because I just love the thought of that power 😎

I will deffo look at it. Thanks

• 4 weeks later

Quick update.

I think the concept has failed.

All the variants I've played are a lot of fun - one iteration of Glass Fox is 50 and Vitric's not far behind and they are fun to play. I'm actually enjoying Vitric as a brute, which is unusual for me.

But the notion of them being one and the same person, sharing the same body - well I've just not been able to pull that off even in RP (which I am not great at to be honest) so I'm thinking I might shelve this for now.

It doesn't help that my altitis got me distracted but that's par for the course in this game but I just wasn't able to work out how to make the two seem like one. I know I was pushing the boundaries in a game which makes individual characters the focus of the playing experience so I do not see it as a game limitation but I have definitely been overambitious and failed to really get this off the ground.

That said, I have enjoyed leaving shards of glass in my wake as I much through mobs! Both characters are pretty competent and powerful and it's been fun to explore powers I'm not so familiar with so I've definitely got some great experiences out of it and I will continue to play them and have fun