The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Powerset Suggestion:wands and staves and wizard sorcery

A power set that you use wands, staves and such and maybe summon like the fire imps and or one that is a pet thats like a side kick like you but much lower. These things are in the game already and with a bit of re-skinning could make a wizard and sorcery set, As there is animations for wand "black wand" and stave "the gear one" you could add many different kinds of staves and wands. I picture a person holding what looks like a skull with glowing red sockets and a bone spine or a carved wood one with leaves and wisps buzzing around the head. As to the pet it would be like the big guy from the master mind but you could get it at first level, power would be like one of the little master mind pets but instead of getting more it would increase in power and you would have the option to give it new abilities twice. This could be a sorcery set with a casting animations for the powers. The wizard would have the wands and staves options and maybe could be an option for Master mind, and not summoning demons but, creating magical golems, Elementals, and such   

• Like 2

If I may suggest: What would best serve your wishes is not a sorcery blast/melee primary.

Instead... It's alternate animations. Kind of like how many of the blast sets have two forms (like for psionic blast where it's either from your head or from your hand, or you do that weird hug thing for fireballs vs the normal blast, etc).

Magic stuff a-la-Strange, and an optional "from weapon" for things like blast attacks.

I think it would be nice to have a multi-elemental blast set for "generic wizard" characters, but I'm not entirely sure what that would look like.  Both approaches I can think of offhand (a different element in each power, a toggle that lets you switch elements on the fly) have issues.

• Thumbs Down 1

I think it would be nice to have a multi-elemental blast set for "generic wizard" characters, but I'm not entirely sure what that would look like.  Both approaches I can think of offhand (a different element in each power, a toggle that lets you switch elements on the fly) have issues.

My proposal: Each power instead calls a random power of equivalent level from any other blast set when used.

In counter argument to the "we already have blasters that can cover this, we just need different animations" replies:

melee gets a new set for every conceivable kind of weapon one can wield.

That's a slight exaggeration, but we have War Mace, Battle Axe, Broad Sword, Katana, Dual Blades, Titan Weapons, Claws, and I'm probably forgetting a few -- oh, staff melee of course -- where the main difference, before you get down into the nitty gritty of each power and how it works and if it's single target or AOE and what side affects it has, is what weapon you hold in your hands.

Keep in mind there are something like, I don't know, 24+ different melee primaries?  I know Brutes get at least 22 of them and they don't get everything I think.  Meanwhile there's 13 primaries for a blaster.

So I really don't see a problem with a blast set based on holding a staff in your hands.  ^_^  Sure it may not be substantially different from some other blaster sets, but that all depends on how you structure the set, and you could add a lot of cool wand variations that make for great customization, just like you get with Beam Rifle or Dual Pistols.

So +1 from me.

I mean, if we were to really go the route melee took then we'd do one blast set for wands and one for staves...  :P

Also, I'd want a blast attack that polymorphed the enemy into a toad, or other random object.  At least temporarily!  :D

So I really don't see a problem with a blast set based on holding a staff in your hands.  ^_^  Sure it may not be substantially different from some other blaster sets, but that all depends on how you structure the set, and you could add a lot of cool wand variations that make for great customization, just like you get with Beam Rifle or Dual Pistols.

I agree with you on melee.  But for the melee sets, you can easily see how (most of) the weapon types would fit into all five Origins; there's a broad range of character concepts that use Staff or Claws.  Wands or staves seem to really skew themselves towards one particular class of character.  I could see a "sufficiently advanced tech" kind of character but that's about as far as I can get with it.

Since we have guns in the real world and they've been pervasive in fiction for a long time, it's a lot easer IMO to get to "magic gun-user" than "non-magic wand user."

So ultimately... a really knock-out powerset proposal could get my support but otherwise I agree with the consensus, wand or staff props should be added by animation and a "Reality Warper" or "Nature's Power" kit could be made that's not quite so conceptually tied to a specific kind of character story.

I mean, if we were to really go the route melee took then we'd do one blast set for wands and one for staves...  :P

UGH.  Did they *have* to make Axe and Mace superhero sets?  I mean come on!  Just give Tankers Broadsword and Scrappers Katana, and make a "police baton" kit or whatever that had some krav maga or something in it and we'd be in a much better position today.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Also, I'd want a blast attack that polymorphed the enemy into a toad, or other random object.  At least temporarily!  :D

I’m +1 for just this reason alone!

Also, your logic is impeccable as always.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

My proposal: Each power instead calls a random power of equivalent level from any other blast set when used.

I think it'd work better if it had its own set of random powers, rather than calling other sets' powers (especially since not all sets have equivalent powers) but... I dunno, "random" suggests a wizard who can't quite control their magic.

UGH.  Did they *have* to make Axe and Mace superhero sets?

Basically... yes and yesAnd shovels, too.

It'd look like a Fire/Ice/Elec blaster, or any permutation thereof.

Are you suggesting it can be done with existing sets?  Because what I'm talking about can't be done with existing sets.

I'm talking about a powerset where, say, the T1 is an energy attack ("Magic Missile"), and T2 is a Fireball, and the T3 is a Lightning Bolt and the T4 is a Cone of Cold, and so on and so forth, with the T9 being a giant blast of energy that hits in all six (non-physical) elements.  That, or a set where you have toggles to switch between Fire/Ice/Lightning/Darkness/etc variants of the attacs (like Dual Pistols but, you know, not crap), though I still think the T9 should be all six elements.

Yes.

Basically... yes and yesAnd shovels, too.

But they... didn't make a Shovel set.  And there are honestly more comic book characters who use playing cards as weapons than axes.

I'm beginning to suspect these answers might be facetious.

They didn't make a shovel set, but the shovel is a customization option for both War Mace and Battle Axe.

It's not facetious to point out there are characters in comics (and "comics" doesn't just include superheroes) who use maces and axes.  (There are, perhaps, more villains that use axes and maces than heroes, but there's also no longer any melee ATs that are limited to heroes or villains)

They didn't make a shovel set, but the shovel is a customization option for both War Mace and Battle Axe.

It's not facetious to point out there are characters in comics (and "comics" doesn't just include superheroes) who use maces and axes.  (There are, perhaps, more villains that use axes and maces than heroes, but there's also no longer any melee ATs that are limited to heroes or villains)

And some pulp or comic book characters use tommy guns and some use M-18s and some use Uzis, none of which are similar guns.  And like, thirty different kinds of sword, all of which have unique traditional fighting styles.

What's facetious in my answer, and so what I read into the ones I quoted, is that obviously these don't all need to be different power sets in order to have these kinds of weapons in the game now.  So we'd've been better off (like I originally said) if some of them hadn't been implemented as separate power sets then.  It creates a legacy headache.

is that obviously these don't all need to be different power sets in order to have these kinds of weapons in the game now

Back before weapon customization was a thing (it was only introduced when Dual Blades came out, IIRC) there were different sets for different weapons because they needed different models. In any case, BS/Axe/Mace have different secondary effects, and it would be damn hard and unnecessary to attach secondary effects to specific weapon models instead of powersets.

So the main issue I have with a theoretical "wand blast" power set is that it feels very limiting in terms of character concepts. The other weapon sets all allow for a decent range of concepts that fit all origin types, even the various gun sets have several options that would work well for a magic user who's simply using the gun as a focus for their magic.

The problem is that "stick that shoots firebolts" is pretty limiting in terms of character concept outside of wizards. Oh I could come up with a few explanations (it's a control device for my nanobot swarm) but they all feel a bit janky.

Defender Smash!

"Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well."

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

• 5 years later
On 6/20/2019 at 1:49 AM, Novacat said:

If I may suggest: What would best serve your wishes is not a sorcery blast/melee primary.

Instead... It's alternate animations. Kind of like how many of the blast sets have two forms (like for psionic blast where it's either from your head or from your hand, or you do that weird hug thing for fireballs vs the normal blast, etc).

Magic stuff a-la-Strange, and an optional "from weapon" for things like blast attacks.

even with alt animation, it does not fix the affects you can change energy blast animation and expect it to actually function as magic

• Thumbs Down 4
  • Banjo 1