Cyclops?

Ultimo

So, I'm looking at making a character based on Cyclops, from the X-Men.  However, I don't see many powers that come from the character's eyes.  X-Ray Beam seems to be the only one... and it might be unmanageable playing with only ONE power...

Anyone able to suggest a power set that might better resemble him?

I saw a forum post of somebody using recolored Psychic Blast as an eye-beam substitute, because most of its attacks have an option to shoot from the forehead, which is close enough to the eyes that it can pass the smell test. 

That's pretty much the only option at this point. 

• Like 1

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

On 1/12/2024 at 4:43 PM, Ultimo said:

So, I'm looking at making a character based on Cyclops, from the X-Men.  However, I don't see many powers that come from the character's eyes.  X-Ray Beam seems to be the only one... and it might be unmanageable playing with only ONE power...

Anyone able to suggest a power set that might better resemble him?

I am fairly sure radiation blast has a cyclops beam like attack out of the eyes in live check the animatons in the power set.

33 minutes ago, StarseedWarrior said:

I am fairly sure radiation blast has a cyclops beam like attack out of the eyes in live check the animatons in the power set.

Ya, that's X-Ray Beam.  The trouble is that it's the ONLY eye beam power I can find.

2 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Ya, that's X-Ray Beam.  The trouble is that it's the ONLY eye beam power I can find.

I think there is some in the epic pools to you could always do a mix, also you can use cyborg auras for laser sight eyes or a holographic interface.

I love this game but it's pretty awful at capturing iconic powers. 

I'd say just pass on the idea. And I say that after leveling a Rad/Martial to 48 with only X Ray beams and Aim from the blast set. It's not worth it, unless you just want to RP it and not have actual fun when playing. 

Or make a Havoc instead. Sonic blast. He's the cooler Summers brother, anyway. 

I grew up reading X-Men comics, from the time when there were just five members in black and gold.  I always identified really strongly with Cyclops, he's a lot like me (or I'm a lot like him... chicken and egg).  He's always been my favourite X-Man, and one of my favourite comic book characters overall.

I used to be an actor.  I'd kind of given up trying to get ahead as an actor when I heard that first X-Men movie was being made.  I fought like crazy, trying to get a part in it... and Cyclops would have been the perfect role for me, because I know him so well.  Ah, what might have been.

Really, alternative animations for some of the various blast powers, such that the effect comes from the character's head, would be very welcome.  Most of the animations needed are already in the game (eg. Psychic Blast), it's just a matter of using them for other power sets, like Energy Blast and the like.

What about something like a street justice/willpower scrapper, then take body mastery for laser beam eyes.  Just fully slot it so it's always available, since cyclops is also a trained hand-to-hand fighter...

• Like 2

There's 4 eye beam powers in the game but they are all on different powersets, X-ray beam, glinting beam, ebon eye, and laser beam eyes. Cyclops also threw punches and such, and since he was the team "leader", perhaps leadership is worthwhile pursuing as well.

Maybe a willpower/ma/energy tank that's all in on leadership buffs would work.

Make one of the other Summers brothers instead? Havok or Vulcan could easily be represented by Energy Blast, or Radiation blast.

I know that doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but, well, you know.

I wish they would take some of Tyrants eye blasts and create an Optic Blast power set.

Ya, the way I've been thinking of this character is X-Ray Beam/Martial Combat.  He'd have Aim and other powers to boost X-Ray Beam, but it would end up being his only eyebeam attack... which seems odd for a Cyclops themed character.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
<title>Opticon - Radiation Blast / Martial Combat Hero Blaster</title>
<style type="text/css">
html, body {
  background-color: #000;
  color: #FFA500;
  font-family: 'Segoe UI', 'Microsoft Sans Serif', sans-serif;
  font-size: 10pt;
}

hr {
  border-top: 1px solid #FFA500;
  border-bottom: none;
}

ul {
  list-style-type: none;
  list-style-position: inside;
  margin-top: 0;
  margin-bottom: 0;
}

ul:not([class*="noBullet"]) li::before {
  content: "\2022";
  color: #FFA500;
  font-weight: bold;
  font-size: 12pt;
  display: inline-block;
  width: 1em;
  margin-left: -1em;
}

ul[class*="indent"] {
  padding-left: 0;
}

ul.indent1 li {
  padding-left: 0.25em;
}

ul.indent2 li {
  padding-left: 0.5em;
}

ul.indent3 li {
  padding-left: 0.75em;
}

ul.indent4 li {
  padding-left: 1em;
}

ul.indent5 li {
  padding-left: 1.25em;
}

ul.indent6 li {
  padding-left: 1.5em;
}

ul.indent7 li {
  padding-left: 1.75em;
}

ul.indent8 li {
  padding-left: 2em;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<span style="font-size: 14pt;"><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Opticon - Hero Blaster</span></strong></span><br />
<span style="font-size: 10pt;"><span style="color: #32CD32;"><em>Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3</em></span></span><br /><hr /><br />
<ul>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Primary powerset: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Radiation Blast</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Secondary powerset: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Martial Combat</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Pool powerset (#1): </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Leadership</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Pool powerset (#2): </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Fighting</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Pool powerset (#3): </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Medicine</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Pool powerset (#4): </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Concealment</span></strong></li>
<li><strong><span style="color: #1E90FF;">Epic powerset: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Munitions Mastery</span></strong></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br /><hr /><br />
<br />
<span style="font-size: 14pt;"><span style="color: #1E90FF;"><strong>Powers taken:</strong></span></span><br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">X-Ray Beam</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Endurance Reduction</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">3</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">3</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">5</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">5</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Recharge Reduction</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">7</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Recharge Reduction</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Storm Kick</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Endurance Reduction</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">7</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">9</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">9</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">39</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 2: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Ki Push</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">11</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">45</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">45</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">46</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 4: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Reach for the Limit</span></strong><br />
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 6: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Boxing</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">11</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">40</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">40</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">42</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 8: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Aim</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Recharge Reduction</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 10: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Maneuvers</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">15</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">13</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">13</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 12: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Assault</span></strong><br />
<ul>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 14: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Tough</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">19</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">21</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">21</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 16: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Dragon's Tail</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">17</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">17</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">19</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">39</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 18: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Weave</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">25</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">25</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">27</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Buff</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 20: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Reaction Time</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">23</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">23</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 22: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Aid Other</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">33</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">33</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 24: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Aid Self</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">27</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">29</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">36</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 26: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Cross Punch</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">29</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">34</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">34</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 28: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Throw Sand</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">34</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">43</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Disorient Duration</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">43</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Disorient Duration</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 30: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Eagles Claw</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">31</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">31</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">31</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Damage Increase</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 32: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Inner Will</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">36</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 35: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Field Medic</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Recharge Reduction</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">50</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Recharge Reduction</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 38: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Body Armor</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">42</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">42</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Resist Damage</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 41: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Sleep Grenade</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">45</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">46</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Sleep Duration</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">46</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Sleep Duration</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">50</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Sleep Duration</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 44: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Surveillance</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">48</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">48</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Debuff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">48</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Debuff</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">50</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Defense Debuff</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 47: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Infiltration</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Run Speed</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 49: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Tactics</span></strong><br />
<ul>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<br /><hr /><br />
<br />
<span style="font-size: 14pt;"><span style="color: #1E90FF;"><strong>Inherents:</strong></span></span><br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Brawl</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Accuracy</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Defiance</span></strong><br />
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Sprint</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Jumping</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 2: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Rest</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Interrupt Reduction</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Swift</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Run Speed</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Health</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">37</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">37</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Healing</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Hurdle</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Jumping</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<strong><span style="color: #32CD32;">Level 1: </span><span style="color: #FFA500;">Stamina</span></strong><br />
<ul>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">A</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Endurance Modification</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">15</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Endurance Modification</span></span></li>
<li><span style="color: #FFD700;"><span style="color: #32CD32;">37</span>: <span style="color: #FFD700;">Endurance Modification</span></span></li>
</ul>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

</body>
</html>

Opticon - Hero Blaster
Build plan made with Mids' Reborn v3.6.6 rev. 3
──────────────────────────────

• Primary powerset: Radiation Blast
  • Secondary powerset: Martial Combat