Most Overpowered Builds?

Protostar

I played CoH/V for MANY years back before it closed down.  
My favorite back then was always my Energy/Elec Brute.  I haven't kept up with the game since the Homecoming project released (I am coming back with the news of the license) to know what changes they made but I remember that NCSoft had made a change to how one particular move for Energy/Elec worked and that threw the whole thing outta whack.  It was still fun but less so (it was an overhead smash move).  I also remember some Doms just map herding enemies like it was no big deal and wiping them.  

So I'm curious, what are the most OP builds/classes now for someone that likes:
DPS

Tanking with SOME DPS

Edited by Protostar

5 hours ago, Protostar said:

My favorite back then was always my Energy/Elec Brute.  I haven't kept up with the game since the Homecoming project released (I am coming back with the news of the license) to know what changes they made but I remember that NCSoft had made a change to how one particular move for Energy/Elec worked and that threw the whole thing outta whack.  It was still fun but less so (it was an overhead smash move).  I also remember some Doms just map herding enemies like it was no big deal and wiping them.  

DPS

Tanking with SOME DPS

For Armor: Radiation Armor is the best armor & it also has PBAOE attack in it.

For Melee Offense.  Overall depends what you plan to fight all time, though if you actually do all content. Instead of living in a Farm or PI Radio Missions.  Radiation Melee & Savage Melee are very good.

• Thumbs Up 3

For pure DPS, some classic all-stars would be:

• Fire/electric blaster. Fire/fire is great too, but /electric offers some better DPA melee attacks and utility in the secondary.
  • Plant/fire Dominator. Not too far behind the blaster when properly built, and much more survivable with permadom. One of my all time favorite characters period.
  • EM/stone stalker or scrapper. Bogglingly good single target, with more aoe than you'd think. 

For "tanking with some dps" any tank will do. If by "tank" you just mean survival, and not aggro control, my answer might include some others. However, tanks are so solid these days that almost any combo will do. Some stand-outs include:

• Axe or WM/Rad armor. Good ST, outstanding aoe, with even more aoe from Rad. Endless endurance to fuel the machine, and very hard to kill. Axe is skewed more ST, WM more aoe.
  • EM/Bio or really anything Bio is good for optimal damage builds. I find bio just a bit fiddly, and have to be in the right mood for it personally.
  • Stone/Super strength is really great! Go no granite and you can be super survivable and still benefit from brimstone procs. Rage gives you more slotting freedom to proc up your secondary for more damage.

As a bonus, here is my personal Plant/fire dom. 🙂

No need for softcap shenanigans. Just resist with Rune when needed, and aggressive controls that do great damage on top of your blasts. Carrier Creepers can melt whole spawns mostly on its own, and you have a load of backup options when needed. Even so, all you typically need for safety is a good application of Seeds. Even seeds is applying a decent alpha shot with procs!

Dominator - Plant Control - Fiery Assault mk2.mbd

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

City of Heroes is a game of buffs and debuffs the most OP team combo's will bring a mix of both.

Fire/Kin Corruptor
Ice/Cold Corruptor
Sonic/Sonic Defender

Fire/Kin Combo brings the best teamwide +DMG in the game and can pump more than a Blaster while supporting team, I love mine, it's a true ranged class unlike Blaster which is a combo melee and ranged without anywhere near the utility and support.

Ice/Cold strikes a nice balance, it has no flaws in what it brings. The best shields in the game +DEF, some very powerful -RES, insane -Regen for AV's, -DEF debuffs, it has everything except /Kins +DMG.

Sonic/Sonic is all about -RES thus the Defender Choice, you're not there to pump, more to provide one of the most sought after debuffs in the game. -RES cap with +DMG cap from /Kin is going to melt anything in the entire game.

If you want to Tank exclusively?

My Invul/SS tank is Invincible, I get purposefully reckless on that character to try and die and still don't. The only threat seems to be stuff that completely negates DEF and RES and even then the absolutely gigantic HP pool with Dull Pain? It's not happening!

Edited by Latex
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

Talk to 100 players and you'll probably get 110 different answers.  Take your favorites, get a strong build on them and run them through the 800 series in AE.  Mostly you'll probably get chased right out the front door.  The ones that can complete the highest and farthest in the series are your toughest and most resilient in all likelyhood (being both your best builds and the ones you play best individually).  The series starts at 800.0 and runs upward from there to 800.F at the most difficult end which only the best teams will have a chance at completing.  If you can get well past 800.4 at +4/x8 you'll be exceeding I dare say the vast majprity of players and their best builds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later
On 1/13/2024 at 1:49 PM, Protostar said:

DPS

Tanking with SOME DPS

did you play on pinnacle?