Please, is there some way to make the Beastmaster Pets SHUT UP?! >.<

25 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Okay, all of a sudden I am having the same issue, seems that renaming or deleting .ogg files causes Explorer to hang. After a little research I seem to have found the solution for this issue. At least it solved it for me. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ogg-file-not-deleting-crashing-explorer-in-windows  Seems that the Windows Media Player extension is causing the problem, just need to uninstall that extension. Just need another audio player onboard to play the files through.

I was gonna say, it sounds like a Windows association issue, like when you click on a file with a particular extension Windows will automatically pull up info on the file, what program to use with it, etc.

I don't seem to be having this issue, but Windows Media Player and VLC will play audio files with no trouble, and both are free.

15 minutes ago, Captain Fabulous said:

I was gonna say, it sounds like a Windows association issue, like when you click on a file with a particular extension Windows will automatically pull up info on the file, what program to use with it, etc.

I don't seem to be having this issue, but Windows Media Player and VLC will play audio files with no trouble, and both are free.

Don't know, but I reinstalled Media Player and Explorer issues came back immediately. .ogg files are slow to delete or rename. <shrug>

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

Also, for the record, I love listening to Marc Singer.  His voice enchants me.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

So I guess YOU don't have any idea where that second howl is hiding either, then? Dangit. It's not just some random noise, though. Nor do I mind the occasional barking and whining either. It's a very specific thing that they do - a howl that applies a buff to them all. I can see the symbols floating around them. Honestly, if they just did it when first summoned, or during combat, I wouldn't mind. It's the fact that they do it every minute or two, all the time, whenever they're summoned... to refresh the buff, presumably. Point is, it's linked to some ability they have, so it SHOULD be straightforward, but... gah.

Yeah, I did mention straight up that the biggest problem you're going to face is figuring out which file(s) to replace.

OK, so using CoD (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=mastermind_summon.beast_mastery.tame_beasts&at=mastermind) you can see all the powers granted to your pets when you use Tame Beasts. There are two powers called Howl (Mastermind_Pets.Howler_Wolf_3.Howl and Mastermind_Pets.Alpha_Wolf_3.Howl) that are PbAoE damage and tohit buffs on 60 second timers. Since they are self-buffs it's something they could potentially cast every 60 seconds, even when not in battle.

This appears to be governed by the VFX file CUSTOMIZEABLEPOWERS/BEASTMASTERY/HOWL_ATTACK.FX, and using the list at https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Modding/Sounds/Powers that VFX uses the sound DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01.OGG.

Sooo...fingers crossed.

53 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Don't know, but I reinstalled Media Player and Explorer issues came back immediately. .ogg files are slow to delete or rename. <shrug>

Weird. But at least there seems to be a workaround. You don't need to uninstall Media Player, just Web Media Extensions. I noticed mine is dated 12/13/23, so maybe you just need to do a Windows Update.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Was there not a mod tool that allowed players to change the sounds locally? I thought it was reasonably popular on live but I may be misremembering.

There is a way, but you need to know the name of the sound file to replace. And finding out what that is is not straightforward.

• Thanks 1

Ah, this is all great! A possible fix for the weird .ogg issue, and a likely culprit for the endless roaring... I'll have to give this a look! When it's not 3AM and I can actually think straight! I do love this community, you know - no matter what your problem is, there's always someone willing and able to help. Almost like the place is full of superheroes or something...

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, biostem said:

Can the beast mastery pets be made to do any of the emotes?  I know I've used the eat emote on my demon MMs to keep them from making their idle sounds...

Clever! But no. The demons - and basically every other pet - still uses the 'humanoid' rig, and can thus be made to do most emotes. The beasts... don't, and can't. Annoyingly, they can't even do the 'Animal' emotes, which you'd THINK would be right up their street!

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I found one sfx that the Dire wolf does every few minutes and with one of the buff it may be doing it more often, I'm still testing on Beta,

Sound\OGG\POWERS\BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01

The other one as you've pointed out it:

SOUND\OGG\DOG\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01

Right then! Back at it, and yep, that fix did indeed remove the .ogg issue, so I'm not free to experiment once more. Thanks to everyone who helped with that! The 'Terrifyingroar' bit, I've already silence, and that works. The hard part's the 'other' howl that they ALSO do, not quite as often as that one, but still at a regular basis even while idling. The 'Wildcharge' seems like the most likely culprit, but... well, I've mostly been looking through the list from https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Modding/Sounds/Powers - but could that possibly be outdated? The one you mentioned there, BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01, isn't on the list at all. The Direwolf DOES have the Wild Charge ability, but that's tied to the same soundfile as the version used by the Howler Wolves and Lions - BM_WILDCHARGE_ATTACK_01. I already tried silencing that one, to no avail, but it also just seemed unlikely that this was it... after all, it's used by the lions as well, and they DON'T howl. They do occasionally ROAR, but I find I don't mind that as much, probably because it isn't as high-pitched and ear-splitting.

However, if that list is outdated, that changes everything. There may be different sounds attached to Wild Charge for the three types of pets, now, and I can't silence them unless I know what they're called. If you're checking the actual .pigg files - can you possibly see what sound the Howler Wolves have associated with the Wild Charge ability there? For now, I've tried silencing both the above-mentioned 'WILDCHARGE' variants, and I'll see what difference that makes...

UPDATE: BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01 did indeed work to silence the Direwolf's other howl! Now if I can only find the second howl of the appropriately-named Howler Wolves... BM_WILDCHARGE_ATTACK_01 doesn't work, I've now double-checked that. I also tried BM_HOWLERWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01, just for kicks, but no luck there either.

Edited by BlakeTheDrake

4 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

Right then! Back at it, and yep, that fix did indeed remove the .ogg issue, so I'm not free to experiment once more. Thanks to everyone who helped with that! The 'Terrifyingroar' bit, I've already silence, and that works. The hard part's the 'other' howl that they ALSO do, not quite as often as that one, but still at a regular basis even while idling. The 'Wildcharge' seems like the most likely culprit, but... well, I've mostly been looking through the list from https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Modding/Sounds/Powers - but could that possibly be outdated? The one you mentioned there, BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01, isn't on the list at all. The Direwolf DOES have the Wild Charge ability, but that's tied to the same soundfile as the version used by the Howler Wolves and Lions - BM_WILDCHARGE_ATTACK_01. I already tried silencing that one, to no avail, but it also just seemed unlikely that this was it... after all, it's used by the lions as well, and they DON'T howl. They do occasionally ROAR, but I find I don't mind that as much, probably because it isn't as high-pitched and ear-splitting.

However, if that list is outdated, that changes everything. There may be different sounds attached to Wild Charge for the three types of pets, now, and I can't silence them unless I know what they're called. If you're checking the actual .pigg files - can you possibly see what sound the Howler Wolves have associated with the Wild Charge ability there? For now, I've tried silencing both the above-mentioned 'WILDCHARGE' variants, and I'll see what difference that makes...

UPDATE: BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01 did indeed work to silence the Direwolf's other howl! Now if I can only find the second howl of the appropriately-named Howler Wolves... BM_WILDCHARGE_ATTACK_01 doesn't work, I've now double-checked that. I also tried BM_HOWLERWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01, just for kicks, but no luck there either.

Glad you're whittling away at it. Not much ruins gameplay like excessively repeated sfx. As you may have noticed, I have a few sub-folders in my ogg folder. :)

Is the remaining howl the one the three wolves do that is accompanied by a wavy, umbrella-like vfx?

The three wolves:

So the one howl (Wild Charge) that is accompanied by the red halo around their heads appears to be:  ogg\dog\dog_howl_02

The howl (Howl) that is accompanied by the umbrella-like vfx appears to be: ogg\dog\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01

Edited by Oubliette_Red

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Glad you're whittling away at it. Not much ruins gameplay like excessively repeated sfx. As you may have noticed, I have a few sub-folders in my ogg folder. 🙂

Is the remaining howl the one the three wolves do that is accompanied by a wavy, umbrella-like vfx?

The three wolves:

So the one howl (Wild Charge) that is accompanied by the red halo around their heads appears to be:  ogg\dog\dog_howl_02

The howl (Howl) that is accompanied by the umbrella-like vfx appears to be: ogg\dog\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01

Ah! I could kiss you! That 'dog_howl_02' HAS to be it. Indeed, the one with the 'umbrella' was the first one I managed to eliminate by removing the 'terrifyingroar'.

Making some quick adjustments... testing... hrm. A... partial success, I'd say? There's still howling when they use the 'red halo' thing, but... less of it. An obvious possibility presents itself... one last addition, one last test... YES! Blessed silence!

The last howl was, as I theorized, DOG_HOWL_01. Logically, it had to exist. So... the final conclusion: In order to silence all the howling of both the Howler Wolves and Dire Wolves, you need to silence ogg\dog\dog_terrifyingroar_01, dog_howl_01, and dog_howl_02 - as well as ogg\powers\bm_direwolf_wildcharge_01.

Thank you, everyone who provided advise and assistance! Now I can finally continue playing my Beastmaster without being driven crazy by that endless howling...