Let's just call it City of Heroes...?

So, just a minor suggestion (maybe question). Why not call this game City of Heroes and drop the Homecoming part? We're licensed and no longer have to be recognized as a rogue server or one of the unofficial servers. We're City of Heroes! 

• Banjo 1

56 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

iirc even at the end it was called city of heroes freedom or something so a suffix isn't abnormal.

I think you're correct. I think it was all for publicity and to push their free to play model - for the most part? Dunno.

Anyway, I thought taking away the suffix/moniker would make one feel that this is no longer a rogue server but the 'official' game. 

2 hours ago, BurtHutt said:

Anyway, I thought taking away the suffix/moniker would make one feel that this is no longer a rogue server but the 'official' game. 

It is A official game - but it is not The official game.  That will always and forever be the OG, live, version.

Homecoming is it's own distinct thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I seem to remember that the name was originally City of Heroes Homecoming. Then the name, and the URL, was changed and we were told that it was done as part of the negotiations with NCSoft.

Based on that, I'm going to guess that the name isn't going to change further because this is the one that NCSoft has approved.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that NCsoft would very much prefer us to do. City of Heroes is a brand and a piece of intellectual property as far as they're concerned, so Homecoming basically has a license to use this brand and IP, but NCsoft wants to ensure that the trademark is protected and that it stays *theirs*. While they're almost certainly never going to want to do anything with it on their own, the brand identity is safer if the Homecoming servers names the project something other than just City Of Heroes.

This is sorta like how comic book companies other than DC will sometimes get to use Batman. IDW Comics in particular has a knack for this kind of thing, where they temporarily pick up the rights to some other brand, and they tell their own story with it. They get to tell a story with a fun and recognizable character, fans of the character get more stories out of it, DC Comics gets a big paycheck, everybody wins! But DC has rules about what you can and can't do with Batman when you rent him for a project like that, which is why you still get the IDW logo on the cover instead of something to make you think that what you're reading is the "real" Batman, even if at the end of the day most people probably wouldn't mind it being a real Batman story.