Why I keep playing low level content

FFFF

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” - Mender Lazarus

So I'm one of those weirdos who plays through the low level contacts on each character. As I articulated in this thread, I start with Matthew Habashy, his follow-up contacts, do Twinshot's story arcs, head to the Hollows, and then head to King's Row for Shauna Stockwell and Eagle Eye. For most, I'll head to Faultline to start those story arcs unless I partake a Positron Task Force. Since I started on Homecoming back in April of last year, I've done this over 20 times, for each new character I've created.

I think it's fair to say that many people will think this is quite boring. I've done this enough to know most of the glowie locations, and where hostages are kept (even on the large Troll maps). I completely understand the perspective of someone who no longer want to see this content and use Death From Below to blitz past these levels or just power level a character into the mid-levels or even to 50. There is no orthodox way of playing this game, and I'm not suggesting that playing through the content is the official, standard or orthodox way of experiencing the game.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - Tub Ci

"Woah, I know kung fu!" - Nebel Elite Fist

What is interesting to me is seeing a character progress. Powers which are terrible with the default slot and at low level can change dramatically when investments in them are made. I was amazed to learn that mass immobilize powers take on a completely different dimension with the ability to supplement them with procs. This wasn't something that was considered standard practice when inventions were launched. I still remember how many players considered procs to be under-powered compared to more traditional slotting conventions.

Similarly, seeing a character start off weak and steadily grow in power by gaining new powers, new slots and enhancements is where I derive the most joy. I have power leveled a couple of characters to 50, tricked them out with the best enhancements - typically in the 500-700M range - and then been completely bored by them. I just don't have the same connection with them, and they are my least played characters.

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Lord Recluse

What Homecoming does really well is be a sandbox. Due to merit-based economy, I can quickly craft/sell to fund any variety of character I want. The same low level content poses very differing levels of challenge depending on AT and power choices. A character with ranged attacks and hover makes the Frostfire mission a cakewalk. Similarly some power sets seem just designed to overcome these easily. My level 11 Traps/AR Defender easily overcame Frostfire and then the elite bosses in Eagle Eye's missions at level 13. My level 16 Electric/Storm controller couldn't do enough damage to easily overcome the early elite bosses without resorting to prestige attack powers, lots of red inspirations and blues due to how quickly he burned through endurance.

"You're a wizard, FFFF!" - Jean Luc Picard, Circle of Thorns Ruin Mage

Seeing these differences first hand, and watching your low level character steadily gain power is what is interesting to me. Compared to some of you, I'm still a bit of neophyte in this game. Though I played quite a bit during Live service  and spend quite a bit of time here and on other servers, I'm probably vastly underestimating how much some folks play this game, to the point they are quite tired of seeing some of the content. However, for me, there's quite a bit to explore. I haven't tried every power set or haven't had much experience much with certain ATs (Dominators, Arachnos Soldiers, Warshades, Stalkers).

I know that there are some of you who continue to play due to a desire of seeing concepts take to life, or because you use characters as a means of story telling. I think we are sort of similar in that we appreciate this very familiar sandbox to see our creations grow.

Anyways, thanks for reading this rather long meandering of why I play here.

"Live long and prosper" - Sp0cK, Freakshow Tank Smasher

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I have adopted this playstyle for a very long time, even back when I was playing Live, and played through that same low-level content countless times, for a couple of reasons.

I tend to run every character I play on permadeath rules and the low level content (Habashy et al, Twinshit, The Hollows and the Kings Row Skull arc) is a great way to get a feel for if I want to continue playing a character past level 20. Some of those missions are incredibly challenging (the Confront Veles mission where Atta makes an appearance in a cutscene and Talshak's final CoT mission with the Behemoth portals spring to mind) for low level characters too. It's a nice way to get to know a character.

I've also got a real thing for fully completing any Contact I'm introduced to. Running those low level missions is incredibly satisfying as it means, by level 20, I've a whole bunch of Contacts with full bars and complete story arcs. Then I can talk to Jim Temblor who will introduce me to my firt old-school Contacts where I have to start freezing my XP gain and really grinding mundane content alongside the Faultline story arc..

I'm definitely considering rolling a "Contactless" character that only runs missions for Contacts you can't avoid (Twinshit, Detectives, etc), just to mix things up, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who plays this way!

• Like 3

Many of my characters on Torch do story arcs exclusively or near exclusively. Our Long Riders SG exists mainly for that purpose (and to provide a base for travel). It’s a very small group of us, a handful, but we’re dedicated to a an old school feel (with certain concessions for the way things are now, like using P2W for the freebies [sans XP buffs]). I’ve got several alts making that slow, solo journey. Even with the ones who aren’t set up that way, I’ll often follow the same path you mentioned (though I skip Twinshot, and usually head to KR, rather than Hollows). I even waste some dough on DOs at low levels, just because I like the little extra oomph.

So, you’re not alone, kemosabe. I think the game is better when I’m not OPed. Thankfully, we can still play it that way, if we want.

• Like 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Depends on the character...  My more support oriented toons tend to level via DFB/TFs(WSTs)/PUGs.  Offensive based toons, I frequently DFB until 5 then head to KR and start radios or arcs from there.  (Though if I'm feeling antisocial that day, you can 2XP/street sweep to 5.)

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

I share your sentiment. As someone who used to pay Live nearly 20 years ago, I still enjoy the slow grind of building a character from a fledgling newb to a capable Hero/Villain. I usually turn XP off until I've exhausted all available missions for my level range and only turn it back on to gain the appropriate levels so that I can be introduced to a new contact. I even delay taking travel powers until I meet the old level requirements of being Level 14 before choosing one. Heck, I'd even prefer if they would take the Fitness Pool and place it in the Pay2Win vendors inventory and allow us to pick and choose which of those powers we'd like to use, if any (at times, I'd really like to disable Swift/Hurdle). But I also realize that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to those opinions. And don't get me started on Enhancements/NPC stores/Auction Houses.

• Like 5

I just try to do it differently every time. Not always possible. But I know the characters I like the most I end up street sweeping with the most, and find new locations to level them up. I have a new scrapper that had a blast street sweeping in Pretoria. Ran into the Syndicate instance and completed that...very fun when you don't know what to expect.

• Like 2
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Because it's fun and generally well-crafted. And, there's now enough of it that no five alts have to hit the same ones.

I will 2XP some alts to the 20s if I don't feel like grinding through the low stuff, but I don't automatically bypass it.

• Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I do wish there was a way to decline a Contact introduction and still progress with the Contact that wished to make the introduction in the first place. I'm specifcally referring to Jim Temblor, who makes you pick up an old-school Skyway City Contact before introducing Penelope Yin.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steyrharquebus said:

I do wish there was a way to decline a Contact introduction and still progress with the Contact that wished to make the introduction in the first place. I'm specifcally referring to Jim Temblor, who makes you pick up an old-school Skyway City Contact before introducing Penelope Yin.

Something has to make you visit poor old forgotten Skyway. 😞

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 minutes ago, BayouFrog74 said:

I personally like Skyway. Has always been a favorite of mine.

I completely agree. It's got odd nooks and crannies unlike any other zone, and a different vibe from the other low-level zones. Plus trolls and that long, mournful horn sound. I'd really like to see some Dev love there just in assigning more routine low mission arcs in/through it.