Hover Blaster: AR/Devices vs BR/Devices

DrCereal

Hi all! Pretty new to Homecoming. I want to make a Hover Blaster. Narrowed it down to either Assault Rifle, or Beam Rifle, either which would be paired with Devices. I've read plenty of threads here and on Reddit, but many are pretty old, and I know that Homecoming has continued to updated ATs and powers. In 2024, what are the states of AR and BR? How do they compare to each other? I know AR is more AOE focused vs BR being more single target. But does BR have decent AOE? What if I go BR/Devices/Munitions? Will have give me enough AOE?

Interested in doing all endgame (PvE) content available, and being as useful to the team as possible when teaming, and soloing efficiently at endgame (less concerned about the levelling experience).

Thanks!

Your assessment is pretty much correct. Assault Rifle wins this at AoE and Beam wins it at ST. I give the overall edge to AR now because it’s better at ST than BR is at AoE. BR pretty much only has its nuke and some meager disintegration spreading because Cutting Beam is just bad no matter how you slot it. However, you’re correct that Munitions Mastery (the superior version on Beta, at least) will improve BR’s AoE. So go with your gut, I guess. I play both sets, and they’re both fun and capable.

I would also like to suggest you consider a different secondary if you’re going to be flying out of danger. Energy Manipulation would give you Boost Range, and Tactical Arrow is probably the second flying blaster’s choice because it’s all ranged.

Edited by arcane

Yes, AR has the most AOEs of the two sets.  But BR has some decent AOEs as well - a cone, a targeted AOE, and the Nuke.  Plus, you get disintegration which can spread and add DoT to others as a "mini" AOE effect.  

And /Devices is fine as a hover blaster.  On teams, you'll mostly be using gun drones anyway. and it's less likely you'll be using trip mines.  With the new patch, you may want to get in close to place your detonation bomb.  But still, /Devices is totally doable as a hover blaster.  One of my fav blasters is Archery/Devices who hovers almost exclusively, except when setting up ambushes with the mines and caltrops.

I have an AR/Dev (mostly what I currently run.  Very good AoE.  devices is more of a strategy set, imo.  I picked it a LOT for theme, but I do like it.

I have a Beam/Temporal that I used to use weekly in the hardest Incarnate Trials.  It is a long range ST monster, designed to keep up ST damage on hard targets while the League does its thing.  I did not 'neglect' AoE, just Beam does not have great AoE.

Blaster - AR Dev Range Dam 3.02.mxd Blaster Beam Temporal Munitions w ach.mxd

11 minutes ago, DrCereal said:

Thank you tons for the input and help everyone! I've built a new AR/Dev blaster, and taking her out for a spin now...

What epic pool do you all recommend, with the new upcoming changes?

With AR devices I always go munitions and I have always taken LRM, even before the new change.  Because….it is just too funny.