What Dom is best for me?

hakurr

i mainly play Brutes, Scrappers, and Tanks i have never tried a Dominator but was thinking of trying 1 what power combo do you think might be good for me to start off with being i am used to playing melee toons.

If you prefer to fight mostly in melee then you've got a number of good choices to consider. Fire / psi and plant / psi are both very good suggestions. 

Other good primary / secondary pairings include, but are not limited to ...

fire / earth (endurance would need to be managed carefully, but very solid combination)
plant / fire (this works best mostly from range, but it's really strong for clearing spawns)
earth / savage (earth slows things down or immobilizes them and savage provides good mobility options)

illusion / dark (very strong single target damage if procc'd up and very survivable)

Basically, you have lots of good choices. Perhaps you can suggest some thematic combinations you'd likely find particularly interesting and share the kind of content into which you'd like to bring your dom(s). 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

i’d recommend earth assault for a melee dom set. good damage and has a hold

mechanic in seismic smash.

psi used to be good on live but it’s quite low damage and uninspiring thesedays. people’s memory of it being good is likely why its still so popular despite it now being the lowest damage dominator assault set available 

/psi's damage is ok.

Probe, tk and snipe are all fine DPA attacks

Subdue takes the +dam ATO

PSW still hits 16 targets vs all the other pbaoes hitting 10, that seems to matter when people talk about sentinels, so I'm sure it matters to other AT's as well.

It is definitely focused on utility though with drain psyche being head and shoulders above as the best sustain for health and endurance. Plus PSW being a control power in and of itself. 

/sav is unlike any other set in the game. A very unique experience and hands down the most fun attack set imo. 

If it is your first foray into doms you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not playing Plant, but if you don't plan to heavily IO (perma dom) then consider one of the sets with patch powers like Earth (and soon Arsenal) as they work pretty outside of domination mode. 

Edited by Frosticus

Plant/Savage  is always a good start especially  coming from a melee comfort zone.

takes a bit to get used to my holds are my armor mentality,which leads directly into 'I NEED PERMA DOM!"

also the DOM version of savage leap doesnt do any dmg, but its on a super short cooldown! unlimited combat teleport as long as you have enemies to target and port too that is

fast and aggressive playstyle.

54 minutes ago, PyroNugget said:

also the DOM version of savage leap doesnt do any dmg, but its on a super short cooldown! unlimited combat teleport as long as you have enemies to target and port too that is

fast and aggressive playstyle.

Feral Charge is a 20' aoe attack that hits 5 targets. It does damage based on the range you are from the target.

Up close it will do base damage of 49+dot (up to 65 damage total)

Far away it will do base damage of 99+dot (up to 130 damage total)

I'd be hard pressed to pick a cooler power.