Is the Croax's build list still current?

ZizzyFarmer

Yeah stalkers miss out on a few melee sets, TW being one of them

It's mostly fairly accurate but the tiers here are very up to debate. I personally feel putting rad armor in C teir is a crime considering how much offense it can add to a build and how tanky it is when built right, but for the most part it's pretty accurate.

Croax's guide is still excellent.

Edited by Riot Siren

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker 

The last stalker build I made took some notes on his choices and opinions about the sets, which help give an idea how the build would play. I will add with @Riot Siren, that Rad Armor is not really a C tier armor, as it has been beastly for me. But it is pretty accurate and can give you ideas about fun combos and their effectiveness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Psicy Chill - Ice/Psi/Psi | Sive Ni Brielan - Plant/Earth/Fire | Elemental Elder Lord - Earth/Fire/Fire | Selinia Baneheart - Dark/Therm/Fire | Mylia Stenetch - Necro/Dark/Soul | Radiated Shot - Rad/Arch/Mace | Nameless Witch - Storm/Water/Mu | Phantom Racer - Fire/Cold/Scorp | Neera Darkspar - Beam/Temp/Soul | Neera Etra - Dark/SR | Shieldbreaker - Elec/Shield/Mu | Frozen Tombstress Ice/Rad/Ice | Subliminal Darkness - Psi/Dark/Psi | Mirana Darkblade - Katana/Regen/Soul | Máistir Fiach - SoA Huntmaster | Night Reaver - SoA Widow | Sweet Senpai - SoA Bane

16 minutes ago, drgantz said:

One thing that surprises me is that I see many Stalkers with Willpower while that is one of the lower ranked secondaries.

Willpower is one of the most new player friendly melee (and Sentinel) armor sets in the game, as it's set it and forget it.  Even if the player isn't new, sometimes it just fits the character concept.  It isn't always about the meta.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

18 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Willpower is one of the most new player friendly melee (and Sentinel) armor sets in the game, as it's set it and forget it.  Even if the player isn't new, sometimes it just fits the character concept.  It isn't always about the meta.

Except the Stalker version isn't set and forget. It doesn't have Rise to the Challenge, the toggle that can spike +Regen to high levels. You know, the one that WP is known and loved for? It's traded for a click heal on Stalkers- putting it on the same level of activeness as Invulnerability for less performance. A downgrade is a downgrade. It's not a meta consideration to say that.

you could quibble with the list but it's all pretty feelycraft; like ice and energy are basically interchangeable defensive sets, why are they in different tiers? Is the lack of an end management button really enough to drop shield down a tier? Why are all the resist sets lumped into the same tier even though /rad is pretty clearly superior to the others? etc.

(I do think his primary rankings are a bit better)

I don't believe the list has been revisited since /Stone was updated, and that armor set bonkers on a Stalker.  Dropping Mud Pots for Hide makes the entire set much more endurance efficient than it is for other ATs, added damage from Brimstone leans into Stalker's ST damage focus (Area Factor reduces the proc damage on AoEs), easy to get solid def/res numbers, +recovery in Crystal, and the benefits of EE as icing -- it's a very good set for Stalkers. Dunno where it fell on the previous list, but probably deserves a second look.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:04 PM, drgantz said:

One thing that surprises me is that I see many Stalkers with Willpower while that is one of the lower ranked secondaries.

Sometimes people just play whatever they want to.  Start accepting opinions about what should and shouldn't be played and you're going to find yourself out of new toon options fairly quickly.

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 2/8/2024 at 12:04 AM, drgantz said:

There is a good reason for this, for one regen is weaker on stalkers then it is on other ATs due to their lower HP pool, the trade for a active heal is honestly a good thing due to this, but it doesn't make up for it entirely. Stalker WP also loses quick recovery for Hide, which while it nets them more def, it loses the only thing in the set that could even be argued as offense. Basically the set will keep you up right, and that's about it, and it's not even that amazing at that. Honestly, even on other ATs, while perfectly serviceable, it' wouldn't really be considered "meta" for alot of the same reasons. Other sets can survive just was well, if not better, and provide offensive benefits, the big upside of WP there is it's easy to play nature. Does this mean it's a bad set and characters using it are weak? Of course not, it's perfectly viable and can work very well. Remember "Meta" only means as much as you want it to mean, CoH is not a game where you need to build into or even care about meta.

Anything can be made into a monster.

Edited by Riot Siren
  • Like 1

Kaika DB/INVUN Stalker                                                 Unluck AR/Nin Blaster

Riot Siren Bio/Dark Tank                                                      Ria Greenheart Axe/Sheild scrapper

Blue Meteor Em/Rad Scrapper                                             Fio Rune  FIre/Rad Stalker