Praetorian Epic AT

...a PEAT, if you will.

I know this is totally pie-in-the-sky stuff, but it struck me during some downtime the other day and I can't get it out of my head.

At first, I was just thinking it would be interesting to have a Praetorian equivalent to, like, the Soldiers of Arachnos.  In addition to bringing another fresh face to the AT lineup it would be a reason for people who wouldn't normally mess with Praetorian Earth to go there (besides some wierdos who do that kind of thing for fun, like @Snarky).

Start them off with a Powers Division kind of powerset - energy melee gloves etc - then draft them into a junior Praetorian Guard.  Run them through something similar to the Patron Powers routine where they audition for the Praetorian they'll serve under, then give them access to a Praetorian Power Pool (with extended choices) that's modelled after that Praetorian.  Like, joining Chimera's ranks would give access to a modified combined Arrow/Trick Arrow power pool; Neuron's ranks would get access to a modified Super Speed pool modelled after Neuron's powers, etc.

Of course, this would be ALL KINDS of a pain in the ass to do.  It would take mission creation and scripting, creating several new powersets (even if only a few divisions of Praetor Guard were rolled out at first, that's the initial Powers Division powerset PLUS each Praetorian's signiture set), probably at least some new graphics and costume options...

...but it would be GLORIOUS.  And now that it's off my chest, I can stop letting the idea of it bug me every waking minute.

• Thumbs Up 6

Horizon Twilight, The Chernobyl Effect, XLR Mk8, Dodgeball, and a host of other alts all hanging out on Everlasting.

I would absolutely *love* a PEAT, but I think the way to make it happen functionally with a smaller dev team might lie with the choices we get in Praetoria (and be maybe make it fit into existing lore since everyone is force-drafted into Powers Division anyway if you have any aspiration of powers or usefulness with them.)

Instead of starting at 1, you have to choose to become a PEAT at 20 in the Rift Enclosure mission. "No. I will stay here and fight for Praetoria."

At this point, it closes down the Rift and you remain a Loyalist or Resistance, and you end up getting funneled to First Ward with the existing storyline, but a new contact and a side story every 5 levels: Provost Merchand for Loyalists, Belladonna Vetrano for Resistance. At 24 you undergo elite training for either of them, forcing a respec with two new primary/secondary powers unlocked (similar to Arachnos EATs) Praetorian Guard for Loyalists who want a Physical option, and Seer for Loyalists who want a Magic option. On the Resistance Side, you have Resistance Commando for Physical, and Resistance Runesoldier for Magic.

At 30, you'd have to be funneled into a Hero or Villain zone as we have officially run out of Praetoria themed zones, but you retain your alignment representing the interests of Praetoria. Power Loyalists and Crusader Resistance are functionally Rogues and go to Villain contacts/the Rogue Isles, while Responsibility Loyalists and Warden Resistance are functionally Vigilantes and go to Hero contacts/Paragon City. Unless we get a new/converted 30-40 co-op zone like Crey's Folly or Eden (which would make sense as you're maybe sent to help destroy the Primal Hamidon so there aren't *two* Hamidons.)

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

The wiki mentions that there were two PEATs planned but never implemented, "Hyper-Advanced Clockwork" which seems themed around Praetorian Clockwork, and "Devoured" which I'd guess is Devouring Earth themed. There's a few inherent powers in the game data but nothing else AFAIK.

Here's an idea for two PEATS

PPD/Resistance
A Dual Pistols (but with Energy/Smashing Damage no swap Ammo) and Energy Melee Combo Primary --- Kinetics/Force Field Hybrid with Passive Armors Secondary

New Breed: Warwork-Human Hybrid

A combo of Assault Abilities!  BCU/War Walker Arm Cannons, Victoria Arm Blades, Heavy Trooper Backpack Primary Set --- Resist / Positional Secondary

9 hours ago, Techhead said:

The wiki mentions that there were two PEATs planned but never implemented, "Hyper-Advanced Clockwork" which seems themed around Praetorian Clockwork, and "Devoured" which I'd guess is Devouring Earth themed. There's a few inherent powers in the game data but nothing else AFAIK.

Per the wiki, the proposed Devoured AT is also called the Rescued Devoured AT. And I would like to see what they were going to do with it, because right now, it reads as a Brute and there had to have been something planned to make it different.

My old PEAT suggestion (which also used "PEAT" FWIW) was a classic male/female split, a la VEATs:

The "male" path would start as a grunt member of the IDF and then branch into either a sort of Hybrid Devouring Earth Fusion or as a IDF Boss

The Male path offers different types of assaults and summons.

The "female" path would evolve into either a Seer or a Carnival of Light path

The Female path is more offense and control.

• Like 1