SS/Inv Brute looking for a viable build

benai

Hallo,

i am looking for a viable build for a Super Strength / Invulnerablitiy to maybe later one use it to farm.

I have found two Tanker SS/Inv so far but i dont know how viable they are for a brute.

One is from Briggs

and the other is from Brother Mutant 73 

greetings

3 minutes ago, benai said:

I have found two Tanker SS/Inv so far but i dont know how viable they are for a brute.

Tankers get higher values on their defensive powers than Brutes do, so you would not be able to simply copy a Tanker build and end up with a good Brute build.

This thread has a couple of builds in it: 

4 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Tankers get higher values on their defensive powers than Brutes do, so you would not be able to simply copy a Tanker build and end up with a good Brute build.

This thread has a couple of builds in it: 

Hi,

yes I have seen this and for me the argument between Snarky and Infinitum was still ongoing just not finished and stopped at some point and not ending in an build.

Thats why i asked for a build to go for. Both of these build are quite different and as a newcomer I cant compare them because i dont know what is important and what isnt.

Would be a Tanker a better option for SS/Inv then Inv/SS?

Edited by benai

19 minutes ago, benai said:

Hi,

yes I have seen this and for me the argument between Snarky and Infinitum was still ongoing just not finished and stopped at some point and not ending in an build.

Thats why i asked for a build to go for. Both of these build are quite different and as a newcomer I cant compare them because i dont know what is important and what isnt.

Would be a Tanker a better option for SS/Inv then Inv/SS?

They quasi-disagreed on one, tiny aspect of how important Psionic resistance was and both gave good builds, either of which will serve you in upwards of 95% of the game. Psionic damage is a thing in the game, so if you want to cover all bases, go with Infinitum's.

As for Tanker vs Brute, do you want to be better at taking down tough solo targets with a bit less survivability in the end but a must faster starting experience or do you want to be better and bringing down crowds with maximum survivability and don't mind a slightly less smooth start? If more the first then Brute, if more the latter then Tanker.

Edited by Erratic1

From another newb's perspective....

I just ran this combo to 22, it felt like a slog. Constantly endurance drained and less "super strengthy" feeling than I'd hoped for. It did start to feel better at 20+ but personally I couldn't run on hard levels like I could with my other Brutes at that point. Also, I just use whatever enhancements drop with the prestige ones up to that level on my heroes, as has been advised by many. Maybe now that I'm about to gear him a little better it'll make things more smooth. But it wouldn't be the first one I've shelved.

14 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I just ran this combo to 22, it felt like a slog. Constantly endurance drained and less "super strengthy" feeling than I'd hoped for. It did start to feel better at 20+ but personally I couldn't run on hard levels like I could with my other Brutes at that point. Also, I just use whatever enhancements drop with the prestige ones up to that level on my heroes, as has been advised by many. Maybe now that I'm about to gear him a little better it'll make things more smooth. But it wouldn't be the first one I've shelved.

Super Strength requires two essential components to achieve its full potential: Rage and Recharge. Rage lasts for 120 seconds, and recharges in 240 seconds.

It makes a big difference once you get Rage to recharge in under 120 seconds. Rage is an 80% damage buff, and double-stacked Rage is 160%. 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I am unaware of any powerset where the true feel of it is manifest by level 22. Granted, they have changed power accessibility a bit, but the number of slots at 22 is still pretty low and you will have just gotten SOs. The 30s is where I typically make the call, and even then there have been a few builds I've done which didn't really gel until the 40s (very few).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JulioThom33_2 said:

Super Strength requires two essential components to achieve its full potential: Rage and Recharge. Rage lasts for 120 seconds, and recharges in 240 seconds.

It makes a big difference once you get Rage to recharge in under 120 seconds. Rage is an 80% damage buff, and double-stacked Rage is 160%. 

So 50 then? Lol

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

I am unaware of any powerset where the true feel of it is manifest by level 22. Granted, they have changed power accessibility a bit, but the number of slots at 22 is still pretty low and you will have just gotten SOs. The 30s is where I typically make the call, and even then there have been a few builds I've done which didn't really gel until the 40s (very few).

Not exactly what I was implying.  And I in no way know everything about Brute builds, that was just my observation as I had just ran SS/Inv to 22 very recently, but I've also ran 4 other Brutes to that level and beyond and none of them felt as slow or underpowered at the same point in progression. 

16 minutes ago, WuTang said:

Not exactly what I was implying.  And I in no way know everything about Brute builds, that was just my observation as I had just ran SS/Inv to 22 very recently, but I've also ran 4 other Brutes to that level and beyond and none of them felt as slow or underpowered at the same point in progression. 

One weakness of SS is its relative lack of area attacks, compared to other powersets. That can be addressed but you have to grab area attacks from pool powersets. Otherwise you will not have an area attack until you get the set's last power (level 26) unless your armor set provides something.

Another is that the damage of the set is balanced around having Rage. You do not get that until level 18, and certainly have no way to cycle it quickly at low level.

As for Invulnerability, it is considered in the top of protection sets by about everyone. The psionic hole is its only real downside.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey. I whipped up a quick build for a SS/Inv brute for ya.

Key features:

-Procs (usually multiple) in every attack for BIG DAMAGE.

-Over softcapped S/L defense for those pesky rage crashes.

-Well-rounded resistances, including clogging up that pesky Psi-Hole invulnv has.

-Utility: Increased perception, decent global rech, x3 Power transfers.

Cons:

-No ranged attack. (You can swap Jab for taking Hurl later if you wanted)

You can swap Mystic Flight for any travel power you want and not lose much. You can also swap Unstoppable and Taunt for anything you want and lose pretty much nothing.

Cheers!

Brute (Super Strength - Invulnerability).mbd

Edited by Wiseguy
  • Thanks 1

AKA @Shibbs