(Alignment? Event?) Tip notification keeps announcing

tidge

This is in the patch notes. It is a new feature in which your oldest tip will now be replaced perpetually and forever with new tips. Now every time a tip COULD HAVE dropped, a tip WILL drop, and you will get notifications and contact/open world mission overrides forever. I have not yet found a way to stop it outside of accepting the max (3 alignment/3 event) tip missions which stops the continuous notifications at the expense of filling your mission list (tips you have investigated and accepted as missions will not be dropped and replaced).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hate it.  Hate it.  More frequent screen spam obscuring the view of what's in front of my character (because the nearly constant flow of salvage and recipe and enhancement notifications apparently weren't enough), and now I have to stop in the middle of combat and exit the mission if I get a tip that I want, so it won't be overwritten by a tip I don't want to run.

Hate it.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I even get tip mission as a hero that would require me to visit Null the Gull to change alignment to deliver, for instance deliver to either Television or Radio.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

This does kinda' illustrate why people need to check the patch-notes and maybe visit the test-server BEFORE major changes like this go live. I tend to agree that this isn't ideal, and if more people had said so and argued convincingly for their point while it was in Beta, it probably wouldn't be on our screens right now...

50 minutes ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

This does kinda' illustrate why people need to check the patch-notes and maybe visit the test-server BEFORE major changes like this go live. I tend to agree that this isn't ideal, and if more people had said so and argued convincingly for their point while it was in Beta, it probably wouldn't be on our screens right now...

It was added in the second release candidate, the phase of a beta during which it's supposed to be feature-locked and players should be testing the fine-tuning of previous changes.  It wasn't given a focused feedback thread, it wasn't mentioned as a testing point, it wasn't brought up by a City Council member in the New Player Experience feedback thread, it wasn't even given a passing reference beyond the patch note.  And at the beginning of this open beta, people were pointing out that the patch notes were so dense and lengthy that they had trouble finding information.

Pushing this to a release candidate six days before the beta went live was a mistake, and the failure to draw attention to it and request immediate testing and feedback compounded that mistake.  They fucked up, not the players.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Writing only for myself: I check the Initial Beta release notes, and then I will follow some fraction of the subsequent updates for those that interest me. I full admit to NOT reading the official page 7 release notes because... well... WALL OF TEXT. I do eventually circle back to them, but I have to admit I never expected a change to the TIP system... especially in an area that I don't recall anyone asking for. Specific to alignment TIPs, the only ask I ever recall players asking for was the ability to pull TIPs from previous level ranges.

So bad on me for putting it in the BUG forum without checking the actual release notes. Mea culpa.

EDIT: I want to add this bit of my annoyance of this change: I don't know what problem/issue this change addresses. We always had the ability to pick any alignment tip mission we wanted using a SG base device, for the cost of a single merit. If we needed 'room' for the mission, it was trivial to dismiss another alignment mission.

Edited by tidge