Black screen & sound can hear but not see the game

strangeneon

Hi I wonder if anyone has overcome the issue I am stuck on and can help. I will try and give us much detail below. 

Game was running fine on Mac OS14.3.1 Sonoma installed in a Win 10 bottle on Whisky have been playing for a number of months without issue until yesterday. 

Yesterday Whisky advised there was a new GPTK which it updated and then the issue started. Basically on running the game I get the HC launcher and can choose Homecoming, Diag or Beta but regardless of which I select the loading splash comes up (the small horizontal box) and then the screen goes black as the login screen loads - it loads I can hear it and if I type I can hear my inputs but the screen is totally black. 

I have tried the following steps to no avail and the same issue persists; 

1. Rebooting the Mac 

2. Installing in a different bottle (have tried multiple times with different versions of Windows) 

3. Reinstalling Whisky 

4. Resetting graphics on next run option within Whisky 

5. Using an external monitor

6. Running in windowed mode (Alt Enter) 

Unfortunately I have no admin rights so cannot install via Launchcat but having no admin rights hasn't been an issue in the past. Clearly it's a graphics issue and its related to GPTK but I can't work out how to solve or if indeed it is solvable at all 😞 currently locked out the game due to this and I had just got my daughter into it and was looking to play alongside her. Any help or guidance gladly received. 

Thanks 

• Game Master

Without stating the obvious (Short version: we didn't make Whisky) I can confirm Sonoma 14.3.1 runs City of Heroes normally on HC Launcher via LaunchCat/HCInstaller for Mac.

If you get Whisky figured out, the rest should be smooth sailing.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Might be a longshot but are you using 2 monitors? Have heard of an issue like this if you are trying to display the game on the 2nd monitor, the software update may have changed this. May be worth a try.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Understood that you do not make Whisky.  Just hoping others have figured it out.  Like I said, it worked until yesterday when the upgrade happened.  

I'll try the downgrade instructions, if it works I will report back.

• Thumbs Up 1

Appreciate all the advice.  I tried to give as much background as I could as many of the suggestions unfortunately won’t work for me as I don’t have admin rights (so can’t install Xcode to downgrade the GPTK version, and can’t install via launchcat for the same reason) as Sladester has verified everything worked fine until the GPTK update on my system.   

I expect downgrading GPTK will work but I think need admin rights to do that (but will try tonight to check).  

as per my original post I’ve tried this with single monitor and dual monitors makes no difference.  (fYI before the GPtK update I had it working using either setup single or dual, full screen or windowed. All good). 

might have to pop around to the IT guy at work and see if he’s sympathetic (or even better maybe a CoH player :)) and will help me out by letting me install via Launchcat 🙂 

• Game Master
12 hours ago, strangeneon2 said:

might have to pop around to the IT guy at work and see if he’s sympathetic (or even better maybe a CoH player :)) and will help me out by letting me install via Launchcat 🙂 

The last bit of advice I'll offer up: don't risk losing a job over this game.  It'll still be here if you need to find another computer to play on.

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

16 hours ago, GM Tock said:

The last bit of advice I'll offer up: don't risk losing a job over this game.  It'll still be here if you need to find another computer to play on.

Yeah, it's never advised to mix work and play as your IT could quite easily have access to things you don't want from the game (credentials, what you type, etc).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Many thanks for all the help, and advice. Can confirm went back to my old iMac and removed old versions of Wine and HC Launcher (had to do this as using Launchcat with a newer version of wine already installed caused Launchcat to enter an infinite loop of downloading Wine - incase that's useful feedback for anyone - used Appzapper to make sure everything was gone) and then using GM Mangas fantastic new install guide (Launchcat) in the Mac Install thread all works fine - thank you all 

• Thumbs Up 1