Stronger Psionic Presents

And just for clarification, in relation to your "after the release of the Awakened and Penelope Yin", First Ward, the Awakened, and Praetorian Penelope Yin were added back in Issue 21 when CoX was still Live. Corrupted Penelope Yin was added in Issue 24, so has always been available on HC. So there is no "Having these powersets is now a must after the release of the awakened and Penelope yin. " as a 26 March 2024 update to your 28 February 2024 suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

9 hours ago, KingCeddd03 said:

and you can not decide that either 

Sure I can. And I've already decided.

DENIED!

JudgeJoe200.gif.63f1ebdcf77020f5c282447bf52d1497.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

17 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Your not a dev so no, your decision means nothing .

If you think “Psionic Blast” is a viable candidate for the next new powerset - bearing in mind the existence of “Psychic Blast” - well, that constitutes delusion to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Your not a dev so no, your decision means nothing .

Judge Joe has already ruled. Case dismissed.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

4 minutes ago, arcane said:

If you think “Psionic Blast” is a viable candidate for the next new powerset - bearing in mind the existence of “Psychic Blast” - well, that constitutes delusion to me.

Sir or mama the powers have different looks if you ever seen them

• Haha 2

Just now, KingCeddd03 said:

Sir or mama the powers have different looks if you ever seen them

Ok, now this is bothering me.

Just so you know "mama" means "mother". I'm thinking you weren't trying to say "sir or mother." The word you're (not your) looking for is ma'am, which is short for madame.

The word madame became something of an insult back in the 19th century so it's no longer used. Instead we use the shortened form which was previously the way it was pronounced by the uneducated. Similar to how educated folks would say "my lord", but peasants would say "m'lord."

• Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Ok, now this is bothering me.

Just so you know "mama" means "mother". I'm thinking you weren't trying to say "sir or mother." The word you're (not your) looking for is ma'am, which is short for madame.

The word madame became something of an insult back in the 19th century so it's no longer used. Instead we use the shortened form which was previously the way it was pronounced by the uneducated. Similar to how educated folks would say "my lord", but peasants would say "m'lord."

I really dont care dismiss yourself

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, arcane said:

I’m deeply concerned for your well being

no you shouldn't be I am fine are you fine is the question? you not seeing the difference between powers looks is worrisome. and also worrying you don't see differences in name psionic and psychic two different methods or mental power, I feel  bad for you 

Edited by KingCeddd03
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

I really dont care dismiss yourself

Just so you understand the whole "no" and "case dismissed" was me joking around with you. I was hoping that you'd understand that.

Also, mama is what infants and toddlers call their mother. That word literally has no other meaning. I was trying to help you so that you wouldn't continue to embarrass yourself by using that word when speaking to adults. Apparently you're (not your) so burnt up about Arcane not agreeing with your psychic powerset that you're (not your) going to lash out at me now. That makes no sense to me, but I've never been one to get angry at someone for something that someone else did, and I've never understood it when other people did that either.

By the way, capitalizing the first word in a sentence is not optional in English.

44 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

no you shouldn't be I am fine are you fine is the question?

Frankly I understand his concern, but I will say no more because the last time I expressed genuine concern about someone's wellbeing on this forum the mods gave me an involuntary vacation.

• Like 1

I'll bite the bullet before the thread gets locked.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:23 AM, KingCeddd03 said:

Psionic Dart Ranged, Light DMG(Psionic), Foe -Recharge

So, you get a ton of much-deserved pushback from the beginning for several reasons, starting here.

1. You don't lead with any design goals or explanations of the problem. There's no way to get everyone on the same page.
  2. You're not really pitching an overarching goal of the powerset here. It's just dumped with no explanation. 
  3. You don't add any flavor description. Without any way to imagine any visuals, there's no way to tell if this is different from Psychic Blast. Which is really bad because...
  4. You made Psionic Dart from Psychic Blast worse. There's lower damage - Psionic Dart is marked as a moderate damage power.
  5. Without that base damage, this is really bad. A Blast set is supposed to prioritize damage, so hypothetically trading that away for +recharge slow compared to Psychic Blast is still a really bad deal.

The consequences of this will keep popping up throughout the review.

Psychic Blast Ranged, Moderate DMG(Psionic), Foe -Recharge

You absolutely are not going to convince anyone this set needs to exist when you are using the name of the set it's already similar to as a name for a power.

Also loses to its Psychic Blast equivalent, which has more damage. We are 0 for 2 on the comparison check.

Mental Breakdown Ranged (Targeted AoE), Moderate DMG(Psionic), Minor DoT(Psionic), Foe -Regeneration, -Recovery, Resist(Heal), Self Heal

Trying to quote this on mobile nearly gave me a mental breakdown. Good name.

Not having a good description of its effects hurts a bunch here. It's hard to get hyped about the raw effects here compared to "Invades the minds of all enemies in target area and plays havoc with their nervous systems, dealing damage now and over time. Affected enemies have reduced healing, regeneration, and recovery."

This is noticeably different from Psychic Blast, which is good. I'm not really keen on the effect myself - I think the focus on crippling enemy resources doesn't work well with the -recharge you have on your first two powers. It looks like the priority was the non-damage effects, which is rough on a damage set. If you're not going to push more -recharge, I'd stick with something that either helps your offense, like -res or -def, or ramps up more stuff you already have, like -recharge resist.

Psionic Lightning Ranged, Light DMG(Psionic), Foe -Endurance

I am unduly upset that you've managed to make MIND LIGHTNING sound so weak and forgettable.

This just looks underpowered. Without even cursory numbers, I don't know if the -endurance will do anything useful, so I'm left staring at that light damage and wondering why you took one of Electric Blast's early powers, stripped out the self-END gain, and decided it was great for your fourth power.

If you haven't noticed yet - about half of these issues could have been solved if you took the time to write more detail and sell both mechanics and theme. Maybe it'd still be a no-go with Psychic Blast, but at least you tried.

Concentration, Self+DMG, +To Hit

It's Aim. No comments.

Psionic Tornado Ranged (Targeted AoE), Moderate DMG(Psionic), Foe Knockup, -Recharge

Oh wow, this looks really cool. I bet Psychic Blast can't do-

Oh. No. Wait.

While it has a more useful set of effects, you're really not helping sell this as meaningfully different from Psychic Blast when you are copying powers from Psychic Blast.

Psionic Wounds (Only Level 31 and up) Ranged, High DMG(Psionic/Lethal), Minor DoT(Psionic)

I generally suggest playing the games you want to design for. If you had, you would notice that on HC at least, primary power sets cap at 26, and secondary caps at 30. This isn't an ancillary power, so there's no reason why it's locked to 31+.

The kit is in need of a generic high damage power at this stage, but boy does this come in real late.

Psionic Pulse PBAoE, High DMG(Psionic/Smash), Foe Knockup

Around here is when I notice that Psychic Blast carries an unusual amount of control options for a blast set, and this set doesn't quite have the same level of control.

This is also another power that needed a more verbose description. I can't tell if this is supposed to be some mind shockwave that directly attacks the mind or a psychic earthquake that throws a bunch of stuff at people.

Psionic Fury (Only Level 31 and up) Ranged (Location AoE), Extreme DoT(Psionic), Foe -Endurance, -Recovery, -Regeneration, -Recharge

Same remarks re: level.

What's the point of debuffing endurance and recovery? This is your nuke. They're supposed to be defeated or about to be. Why are you throwing in effects that only work on long, drawn out fights?

Psychic Blast's big nuke, for comparison, disorients enemies hit. Even if they survive, they're now unable to fight back, letting you safely finish them off.

---

Overall, Psionic Blast makes a poor case for its existence, unless you mean to have it be purely enemy-only. Its rider effects are less useful for pure damage characters, and its damage is notably worse since it tries to compensate for the perceived boost in power from those riders. Compared to Psychic Blast, it's just straight up weaker despite stealing two powers outright. Psychic Blast doesn't cripple its own damage and brings some good CC with it.

If you wanted to avoid this, my best suggestions:

1. Take the time to explain yourself and what you're trying to do. You're the expert on you. Without you putting down what you're thinking and why you're doing what you're doing, everyone is left to infer your motivations for themselves. People do pretty bad at this.
  2. Write down at least a sentence to explain each power. Make it sound cool beyond just the name. That's your chance to sell the visual.
  3. Don't dismiss feedback with "you're not a dev". This is the line of argument you'd expect from someone in high school. If you can't sell any of your fellow players on your idea, the devs sure as heck aren't going to bite anyways.
  4. Instead of attacking your detractors, figure out how they would do it instead. Anyone that immediately balks and disappears when pressed on this should be disregarded. That said...
  5. Sometimes you just end up with ideas that will not work. This set is too close to Psychic Blast in theme and mechanics. There's no real way to save that. In that case, accept defeat humbly and look to see how to avoid the pitfalls you've stumbled into with this attempt.
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

Aspiring game designer and minotaur main.

Anyone can tear something down. The true talent is building it back up again, better than before.

My collection of powerset suggestions - open to comments and feedback!